SANDHILLS 1 MILE SHOOTOUT AND O.R.R. BY SVS

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeehaw! what an incredible weekend in Neebrasky ! This event was about a small town (pop. 500) of great people that gave everything they had to make you feel welcome. The town of Arnold, and the Sandhills 1 mile shootout and O.R.R event changed my whole outlook on Nebraskan’s and their state. For years I thought Nebraska was boring and flat from driving through on Rt. 80. Now I know that 40 miles north of Rt. 80 anywhere in the state of Nebraska holds hidden treasures of people that are genuine and have more integrity than all the Hp. available. Soothing rolling hills with roads built through that have more technicality than any controlled racetrack I have ever experienced. The 1 mile shootout that was wide, smooth and flat with a SLIGHT downhill dip into a MINOR crest that was barely noticeable and EQUAL for all who raced. The handling of safety and staging procedures was far superior for an event in its infancy. Once again I give congrats to all the people who volunteered and put their hearts and time into running such a smooth event.

Numbers and stats for the 1 mile shootout.

I laughed so hard when I read some of the rhetoric based misguided information and propaganda assumptions that have been placed on where the Stryker is at for Hp numbers. It seemed quite obvious that in order to place themselves at a level of feeling better about their own positions people love to discredit others. I have taken many a back seat in racing, 2nd places all the way down to DNF’s and it is always something that hinders you from winning. Regardless of what it is, it is how you decide to look at it. My idea is always to give credit where credit is due and figure out my own solutions to my own problems. I always try to shake the winners hand because the energy they have is what I didn’t have at that moment, and then take it with me, not as resentment but as energy to learn from and race another day. To try to make something sound like it isn’t, just to elevate my position, is quite mental to me.

SVS planned and new EXACTLY who our competition was for the Sandhills 1 mile shootout and the O.R.R.. We also new what their possible Hp numbers were from reading posts on the internet and previous knowledge deciphered. We wanted to come to the game with what it seemed like everyone else was coming to the game with. We placed the SVS Stryker TT on the Dyno just before we left and detuned it to 850rwhp w/ 950rwftlbs of torque at 7psi. If we wanted to raise the boost and push 1300hp out of the Stryker it would have been very easy. But why do that? What would we have proved? If we would have arrived and achieved 210 or 215 everyone would have yelled “those guys got 1 million Hp and a 1 billion dollar car”. The funny part is that exactly what we anticipated everyone would say is what you can read about on the board right now. Some people say it was expected that SVS would win because they have this or they have that.

Let me ask a question? If you have a dancing roller skate champion and he/she doesn’t win, do you think they should complain because the winner has planned better with more preparation, better roller skates and prettier tights.

Interestingly enough I heard that someone said they ran out of gas, in a full throttle run and only achieved a minimal speed? (W.O.T.) and running out of gas is a pretty scary place to hang out. Everyone had to drive 20 miles immediately after the 1 mile shootout event for lunch and promotion in the town of Callaway. Wonder how they made it there? I was told someone also broke their supercharger belt and spewed black smoke all the way down the run. Our customers Stryker 800 SC did break its belt on the first run and we realized how much more difficult a supercharger is to keep belts on when overcoming huge speed.

A very important factor in the 1 mile shootout is consistency. Consistency wins races even if your not the fastest. We all ran 3 times:

SVS ran a 195.5, 199.2 and a 200.04 ---------- 198.24 avg.

The next best avg. was -------------------- 186.96 avg.

3rd best was --------------------------------------- 183.1 avg.

When we tuned at the track the only thing we adjusted was timing and fuel. We improved on our 850rwhp, 950ftlbs at 7 psi platform by making small changes but staying safe. We were able to inch out another 5 mph by conservatively adjusting the map around the elevation.

I played our in car video of our 200mph run and timed it at around 26-27 seconds

We were running a 3.54 gear. Stock trans. Oh and I forgot we spent $ 900,000.00 on wax to make the Stryker shine as well as she does.

The Open Road Race

Again I cannot say enough about the people and how well this event was ran. There was 3 entries in the unlimited class but on race day the Corvette backed out. Ron Adee driving his modified race truck and Dan Downs navigator along with myself driving our 625hp N.A. road race Viper and Dave Mason navigating were the only entries left in the unlimited class. Dave and I did a lot of preparing and studying for this race. We put the SVS Viper back together after sitting for three years. We bought helmets w/ communication and studied, studied and studied. The day before we were leaving we tested the car in front of our shop and found the trans to have a bad synchro. We had to quickly change the trans and rush to Gingerman Raceway in Michigan. We arrived late with only 1 hour of available time to test. We bedded in the brakes, pushed the Viper hard and everything seemed OK. As we packed the transporter the following morning we noticed that the slave cylinder was leaking bad. We put everything in the transporter, our vehicles and left for Nebraska. We discussed what might have happened to the slave cyl. and tried to formulate a plan on how to remedy the problem when we arrived. We realized that when we changed the trans back at the shop we forgot the spacer for the quartermaster triple disc clutch, thus overextending the slave cylinder. We immediately had one overnighted. The local Dodge dealer in North Platte was more than happy to help us use his lifts. On Friday after the one mile shootout, the SVS crew went back to North Platte and worked on the road race Viper. The only thing we had not tested was the communication between the helmets in our Viper at speed. We had purchased the helmets and had them shipped to our hotel because they wouldn’t have made it in time for when we left home to go to the Sandhills.

Saturday Race Day- 55 mile county road closed with every type of technical turn you could imagine. 29 miles north course, stop and wait for 80 cars to finish while having breakfast and then 26 miles south on the same road.

Dave and I prepare ourselves, get in the Viper and go to the line. As we wait I can hear Dave breathing heavy getting psyched up. The flag drops we take off and I cant hear a word my navigator Dave is saying. The SVS race Viper is side exhaust and straight out from the headers and way to loud for our new helmets. All of our preparation gets thrown out the window and I had to drive on what I could remember. Coming up to a blind turn at 140mph on a road I have never drove at speed was quite intimidating. Every once in a while under braking I would hear Left from Dave, but I didn’t know how fast I could go through the left turn. The first 29 mile leg was scary, exhilarating and frustrating knowing that I could have gone faster but I didn’t want to over do any turn. We finished the first leg and got out of the Viper which ran flawlessly. Adrenaline pumping and hi-fives flying we realized how much fun we were having. Don Sleik a fellow supporter and good friend told us that maybe we should put our visors on our helmets and we might be able to hear better. After everyone was finished with the north course we belted up and headed back for 1 more 14 minute legal rollercoaster ride on the Custer County Road. When we left the start line I still couldn’t hear Dave my navigator but it was a good thing Don Sleik told us to put our visors on. Half way through the race we hit a bird at about 130mph which slid up the window and squished between a 3/8 inch gap between the removable hardtop and the windshield. The bird and everything it was about blew up inside the Viper. With feathers flying and guts all over Dave’s helmet I raced on not giving a care. At the end the smushed bird inside the car was the talk of the pits and Dave gave Don many thanks for telling us to wear our visors.

Later on that Day the awards ceremony was held with a huge gathering in the town park. How many times can I say how great all the people in Arnold are? At least ten more times. WE WON! Both eventsYeah! Had to give a short speech and thank all the guys from SVS who worked so hard to get the Road Race Viper and the Stryker TT ready. This was all about the team and the people that support us. This is a huge thanks to all our customers that believe in SVS and not the B.S. slinging. Our average over the 55mile road race was just under 130mph. It’s a cool video to watch.

Thanks to Joe Shown for believing he could get this race started, Thanks to Gary Patterson (test driver for Carol Shelby) for supporting the race and helping the town, Thanks to Raoul, Becky, Fran, Aron, Stalker(Oliver), and everybody that was part of this great weekend.

Just wanted to give a special Congrats to Bob Griffith for winning the 115 mph class in his West Coast Vipers prepared Viper. I was unable to catch him at the awards and wanted to give him a shout. Super Nice Guy.
Last thing – The only two people that I know from Chicago that were at the awards banquet and brought home their trophy’s were Ron Adee and myself. So thanks to Ron Adee and Ron Misjak Jr.(SVS) for putting Chi-town on the map!

Ron Misjak Jr.
SVS

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on your win. I was certainly well out in my guess at what power you were running - thanks for putting us all straight on our "wild claims". We do not hear much from you on the forum and silence sometimes breeds wild imaginations - sorry if I said anything stupid.

Anyway - that was a great result on 7lb boost. You gotta love a good twin turbo setup!

Any chance of being able to see the videos? - esp. the 200mph blast - that would be a seriously good clip and many here would love to download/see it!!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on a fine effort!

You make the Viper Nation proud!

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely beeeeutiful.

Now bring that TT puppy out to the Silver State in Nevada next May and set the new land speed record for public highway.

A 90 mile long one way course. The current record is 207.7801 mph average over the 90 miles.

A Viper in the Guiness book of world records. We'd love to see it.

check it out Silver State Classic

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subject: Re: SANDHILLS 1 MILE SHOOTOUT AND O.R.R. BY SVS

Numbers and stats for the 1 mile shootout.

I laughed so hard when I read some of the rhetoric based misguided information and propaganda assumptions that have been placed on where the Stryker is at for Hp numbers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

==>Jr, everybody has been waiting for you guys to get back from the race to hear your take on the standing mile competition and open road race. Everybody has been curious just how much power you guys were running.

It seemed quite obvious that in order to place themselves at a level of feeling better about their own positions people love to discredit others.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

==>I think you have misinterpreted the intentions of all the speculation.

==>Everybody here including myself has said the SVS turbo car is the ultimate measuring stick by which all other boosted cars are measured. There is no question who has the most powerful forced induction fed Viper. It is definitively SVS and has been all along.

My idea is always to give credit where credit is due and figure out my own solutions to my own problems. I always try to shake the winners hand because the energy they have is what I didn't have at that moment, and then take it with me, not as resentment but as energy to learn from and race another day.

==>I would have shaken your hand had I not had to return home for work on saturday if we were still friends like we used to be.

To try to make something sound like it isn't, just to elevate my position, is quite mental to me.

==>You kind of lost me on this one.

SVS planned and new EXACTLY who our competition was for the Sandhills 1 mile shootout.

==>So are you saying I was your competition? Why, thank you, that is very flattering, you are such a great competitor and gracious champion and have taught me a lot about road racing, chassis setup, and high speed aerodynamics and I will use that knowledge to do the best I can do with what I have got.

We also new what their possible Hp numbers were from reading posts on the internet and previous knowledge deciphered.

==>I see you have been following my posts as well as others on the various boards which is prudent necessity to staying on top(Even though you guys are still way ahead of everybody else so far due to much more time spent and quite a bit of $$$$$$ of R&D)

==> One thing you have to remember is you cannot believe everything you read on the internet!

We wanted to come to the game with what it seemed like everyone else was coming to the game with.

==>I saw the results on the Sand Hills Open Road Challenge website for the 2002 year and saw the ZR-1 ran 180.1 MPH...... I am glad I brought everything I had to go 191.8 MPH instead of trying to be like the ZR-1==> As usual, I wanted to annhilate the ZR-1's 180.1 MPH and I did, so did you guys!

We placed the SVS Stryker TT on the Dyno just before we left and detuned it to 850rwhp w/ 950rwftlbs of torque at 7psi.

==>How many CFM do those big turbos flow @ 7 PSI?

If we wanted to raise the boost and push 1300hp out of the Stryker it would have been very easy. But why do that? What would we have proved?

==>You would have proved you have 1300 HP, but you did not! I do not doubt the turbo car is capable of that but you did not put it down that day. I am sure you guys will be showing the world everything you've got in North Carolina at the end of September for the Maxton mile. I will be there as well with some higher boost as well... I WILL be showing everything I've got. I will prove all I can. Maybe it will be the result I want, maybe not, but we will see!

If we would have arrived and achieved 210 or 215 everyone would have yelled "those guys got 1 million Hp and a 1 billion dollar car"

==>I have to throw up the B.S. flag here....... Come on, whether you go 200 or 215, people will still cry you have a better car(Which you do so far...)
==> You guys deserve it the most as you have been at it longer than anybody else there is no question here as far as anybody on this board is concerned. The SVS car compared to a regular Viper is like a Navy Seal trained for combat duty compared to a regular guy!

The funny part is that exactly what we anticipated everyone would say is what you can read about on the board right now. Some people say it was expected that SVS would win because they have this or they have that.

==>What can I say, everybody is jealous to some degree or another, it could be construed that some longtime tuners are jealous of a regular guy who happened to build a pretty fast car that could do some great things.

Let me ask a question? If you have a dancing roller skate champion and he/she doesn't win, do you think they should complain because the winner has planned better with more preparation, better roller skates and prettier tights.

==>Jr. It is obvious you do not watch a lot of skating, as skaters do not win because of better planning or preparation or better skates.==> They win because they have superior technical and artistic ability and because they put it down the best that day. The drawback to skating is the subjective aspect of the judges' opinions and interpretations of the rules. Racing in much more one dimensional, you either win or you do not. What I like about this particular result of the nebraska standing mile competition, is that sometimes when you lose, you really have won anyway and vice versa, I am sure you get my meaning. This is what I like about racing and some situations in life in general. The reason I know about winning skating is because as you well know I was world level championship roller pairs skater (4th in the world in 1991) with my sister and 6th in the world with another partner. I remember you and your mom and dad being impressed with my pairs skating videos. I even took them to an ice skating show and gave your dad an earful of technical commentary explaining why particular skaters were good or not.

==> Prettier tights only allowed Katarina Witt to win! LOL! The women are phenomenal in skating and I am lucky enough to have married one! Wait, that's right, you and your mom and dad came to our wedding, I almost forgot! Did you marry that nice girl Mary yet? Is your daughter still in swimming competitions?

Interestingly enough I heard that someone said they ran out of gas, in a full throttle run and only achieved a minimal speed?

==>I think you need to re-read what I said: I said I started with only about 1/3 of a tank and that on the 3rd run the massive aeromotive eliminator pump did not have enough fuel in the pickup area to be fed midway through 3rd gear. I admit it, this was the first time for me to do this and I did not have the luxury of previous experience and a pit crew to help me out! Nor did I even once fathom there would not be 93 octane for me in Nebraska.

(W.O.T.) and running out of gas is a pretty scary place to hang out.

==>You've sure got that right!

Everyone had to drive 20 miles immediately after the 1 mile shootout event for lunch and promotion in the town of Callaway. Wonder how they made it there?

==>I can answer this question quite easily: There was still plenty of fuel in the car to go in 6th gear and mostly coast down the hill to Callaway. I am glad I practice coasting in my truck to maximize diesel fuel mileage everyday around town. I can relinquish some of my secrets if you ask nicely!

I was told someone also broke their supercharger belt and spewed black smoke all the way down the run.

==>Since we tested 200+ MPH speeds with our belts we were able to be confident ours would hold up to the rigors of "overcoming huge speed" as you so eloquently put it.

Our customers Stryker 800 SC did break its belt on the first run and we realized how much more difficult a supercharger is to keep belts on when overcoming huge speed.

==>It is just a shame your customer's Stryker 800 SC belt broke as that was the first ride I ever got in a supercharged Viper. I remember being impressed as hell when you took me for a ride in that car! I guess the roads in Chicago are prohibitive to testing to 200+ MPH. I am sure you guys will get that sorted out for the next race!

A very important factor in the 1 mile shootout is consistency. Consistency wins races even if your not the fastest. We all ran 3 times:

SVS ran a 195.5, 199.2 and a 200.04 ---------- 198.24 avg.

The next best avg. was -------------------- 186.96 avg.

3rd best was --------------------------------------- 183.1 avg.

==>You are absolutely correct about consistency. You guys had it all over the entire field of competition with your experience and years of R&D. Congratulations!

==> Mine is the 183.1 which had the 172.6 MPH low fuel 3rd run ruining my average. This is not an excuse, it is just the truth. I will not make that mistake ever again!

When we tuned at the track the only thing we adjusted was timing and fuel. We improved on our 850rwhp, 950ftlbs at 7 psi platform by making small changes but staying safe. We were able to inch out another 5 mph by conservatively adjusting the map around the elevation.

==>Now that's the way to do it! Tune it up! More power!
The only way I could go faster was to drive better! Thank God that was all I had to worry about!

I played our in car video of our 200mph run and timed it at around 26-27 seconds

We were running a 3.54 gear. Stock trans.

==>That is really impressive to pull from 180-200 in .5 6th gear: Do you realize you had a 1508 RWHP and 1686 RWTQ multiplication factor.

==> I hate to help my competition, But here goes: if you stayed with the 3.07, your multiplication factor would be 1931 RWHP and 2158 RWTQ? That's 28% more available HP and TQ. I hope this helps you guys out!

Oh and I forgot we spent $ 900,000.00 on wax to make the Stryker shine as well as she does.

==>Jr., The way Tim Alcalde painted that car, she would shine just as well as she does with the cheap stuff!

Last thing; The only two people that I know from Chicago that were at the awards banquet and brought home their trophys were Ron Adee and myself. So thanks to Ron Adee and Ron Misjak Jr.(SVS) for putting Chi-town on the map!

==>Jr., Congratulations for patting yourself on the back, One good turn deserves another and I must do the same for myself: I will say this: I did not receive a placque(They give a placque ONLY for 1st place in the standing mile highest speed category), but I am sure I left my mark for all to see regardless. I am sure everybody will see my name in 2nd place (@ http://www.sorcrace.com) as soon as they enter the results for 2003 in the next couple of weeks to the SVS turbo Car for the 1st supercharged Viper ever to go that fast. Hopefully, I am sure that, as a tuner, you would aspire to have the SVS Supercharger car rise to a similar level to mine in the near future. I have no doubt you will reach your goal with just some more good old fashioned testing like you have so done so diligently and successfully in the past! If anybody deserves to figure out the belt issue for high speed it is SVS! Good luck! I will see you at the Maxton mile at the end of September this year, Maybe we can caravan out there together! I have a map and am ready to go already! See you soon!

Sincerely, Paolo Castellano-Heffner Supercharged Viper ASP Kicker Extrordinaire!

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely beeeeutiful.

Now bring that TT puppy out to the Silver State in Nevada next May and set the new land speed record for public highway.

A 90 mile long one way course. The current record is 207.7801 mph average over the 90 miles.

A Viper in the Guiness book of world records. We'd love to see it.

check it out Silver State Classic

Bad Byte, I am not sure on this one, but I have heard that the EGT temperatures on a boosted car are prohibitive to going all out for 90 miles in the heat. I am not sure it can be done. So far, only the N/A V-8 Winston cup cars have been able to maintain that kind of pace for the 90 miles. I have some special things done to the internals of my engine which will give it every chance to go as fast as possible for the duration of the race. I have tested nothing yet, but from some pretty reliable engine builders and silverstate veterans this seems to be the case.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"We wanted to come to the game with what it seemed like everyone else was coming to the game with. We placed the SVS Stryker TT on the Dyno just before we left and detuned it to 850rwhp w/ 950rwftlbs of torque at 7psi..." Why would a competitor in any event hobble himself to only be as strong as the competition? Especially in a sprint? SVSi remains an enigma.. Anyway, congrats on the win! I still remember your 1994 Viper Shootout win with a then all conquering 11.29ET (imagine that..) :usa: :usa:

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I with the others that have a hard time believing that one would DETUNE your car so that the competition would have a chance! I mean, that's like Jordan taking a week off before the Bulls played the NETs so they would have a chance, instead of Jordan Dropping 60 on their A$$E$! :D
Push it to the limit and let everyone know why you are King of the Hill!!
Congrats on a Win, but I guess some of us would love to use 1300hp if we had a chance, and I couldn't imagine DETUNING unless it was unsafe for the car.

OP
OP
S

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the congrats guys and all the supporting comments!

The great part about this event is that our testing and tuning has came full circle.

I have some interesting video clips to show and will have them posted soon.

"Why would a competitor in any event hobble himself to only be as strong as the competition? Especially in a sprint? SVSi remains an enigma.. :usa: :usa:

Wow! what a difference between then and now! 11.29 seems quite far from the 1/4 mile times that are being set at present. To answer your question I think I need to rephrase it a bit. We didn’t "hobble" we "selectively chose" We didn’t plan to "only be as strong as the competition" we planned on being quite stronger because of the confidence we have in how well we tune the engine. So at the same Hp levels we proved how much better our engine performed. There's a very simple reason for this equation. Our tuning capabilities have better management in the complicated world of boost, timing, injector pulse, etc. On the Dyno you think it all looks the same. At the 1/4 mile you think it is performing. Well it obviously didn’t in the mile. Why? For me to understand and you to research. Very soon you will see some turbo Vipers by SVS that do the same. It won’t be the famed Stryker TT doing it anymore, it will be our customers with the same package in their Vipers. At this point is where I say the serenity prayer to myself. Especially "The wisdom to know the difference"

The only perplexity is that you doubt my sincerity.

Everything I have said I say kindly
Ron Misjak Jr.
SVS

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RonJr SVS, usually when racing you play to win and crush the competition. Why would you not want to set the bar so the competition is intimidated? The problem most people have is the B.S. i was only running low boost or my car had a problem or some other excuse. If you have a cannon why shoot with a pellet gun? If you had of run the big number people would be jealous but thats life, why give them a chance to win.It seems to me you are playing a no win situation and leaving the door open to all the questions and speculation that is happening now. USE THE FORCE THEN THERE IS NO EXCUSE!!!!!

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't they just add more power if needed? It makes some sense to throw down a conservative run, then watch the competition and adjust as needed. I read the post to mean that they could dial in as much power right there on the spot.

In most sports, you don't run up the score. I think the Viper community as a whole likes to annihilate the competition, however. Definitely a more agressive bunch, which I like.

Chad

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ron viper,you've got to understand.
I detuned TOOOFST from 1700rw down to 650rw,why put the friendly competition out of business :p
lol.
PS.A wins a win,especially from Chi-town.

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TOOOFST, thanks for giving me the extra horsepower you detuned your car down to. Just ask all the 1/4 mile guys if they are just trying to win or get the best out of their car. I know for a fact RSI, BTR, Heffner DLM would love to run 9's ,8's, or 7's if possible. It's all about who is the big dog, and why customers should use you or your product because performance is the name of the game. Performance drives the aftermarket or these guys wouldn't be in business. As a turbo gn guy i always hear the same shilt i was only running ex number of lbs of boost, well buddy its your fault if you lose.When it come to competition there is no mister niece guy only winners and losers.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad Byte, I am not sure on this one, but I have heard that the EGT temperatures on a boosted car are prohibitive to going all out for 90 miles in the heat. I am not sure it can be done. So far, only the N/A V-8 Winston cup cars have been able to maintain that kind of pace for the 90 miles. I have some special things done to the internals of my engine which will give it every chance to go as fast as possible for the duration of the race. I have tested nothing yet, but from some pretty reliable engine builders and silverstate veterans this seems to be the case.

Admittedly I'm a novice and simply a fan of all this banter but that seems to be a pretty heavy indictment against the durability of the boosted car. If that is the case then why would anyone want to drive a turbo charged vehicle?

we planned on being quite stronger because of the confidence we have in how well we tune the engine. So at the same Hp levels we proved how much better our engine performed. There's a very simple reason for this equation. Our tuning capabilities have better management in the complicated world of boost, timing, injector pulse, etc. On the Dyno you think it all looks the same. At the 1/4 mile you think it is performing. Well it obviously didn’t in the mile. Why? For me to understand and you to research.

As I understand it the SVS TT uses the Motec controller, are you saying the difference lies in the ability to map better more accurate curves? Perhaps more resolution when mapping? When it comes to engine tuning I’m only a novice, computers and control systems are where I live. I can see a better computer facilitating more accurate control. It’s all about digitizing. The more sampling points you have the finer the resolution and thus more accurate the control.

Am I totally off base here?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad Byte - the Motec engine management system with all it's options and utilising knock sensors etc is the best tuning setup on earth at the present time available to normal racers and hot rodders alike. It is very expensive with all the options and very complicated to use - so not for the novice. But once a tuner has their head around it - it enables a measure of precision that other ECU's claim but don't get even close.

A good tuner will fatten the power curve and isolate every tiny pocket of knock wherever it occurs without having to detune outside that pocket. Some competitors ECU's can do that but work on far less pcokets. It doesn't get much better than MOTEC. The MOTEC offers almost infinite adjustments.

I've seen cars jump over 100hp by going from one "top aftermarket" ECU setup that many swore by to MOTEC. Not only 100hp but a much fatter curve - which is what will accelerate the car!

An experienced and gifted MOTEC tuner will sort out a car in not that much longer than what other tunable ECU setups take - just better. An ungifted tuner will not be any better with Motec than a good tuner with something else - so it still all comes down to the tuner.

I will use MOTEC on my boosted Viper - but that will limit the number of tuners in my country capable of tuning it to my satisfaction to less than 3-4. Other systems could be tuned by any capable race tuner.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
re EGT over distance boost running - there has to be a fix - many turbo race cars have run (and won) endurance 24 hour events on boost levels 3 times anything a Viper will ever see for an endurance event.

Besides ducting cool air over the engine, a MOTEC setup could tune the engine to remain within an EGT range with ease. The real key will be developing a setup that minimises EGT for given boost levels - free flow headers to the turbo would certainly help - rather than the usual tight bends... then there is adding 3D mapped ultra high pressure water injection to add extyra intercooling etc.... anyway - we are getting into areas no tuner is likely to tell what they know on.

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tuning is very important but wot with no detonation is basically the same for all computers. You can pay more with very little improvement in mph, however the car may et better. Each tuner has their personal preference of aftermarket computers but you will notice they are all competitive with each other. Thanks again TOOFAST for detuning your car so i can have the extra horsepower, you are a true gentleman. Now i must detune to race other's it's the fair thing to do, why win when we can all be the same!!!!

Juanmotime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ladies, ladies please stop the whining, this is getting to sound like a Vette board. I can't believe the ******** here about who's car is fastest on what day at what venue or why is wasn't as fast as the HP says it should be. The other one is who made the most power, or who made the most power at what psi, or who made the most power with or without nitrous. It's a number, that's all it is. Whether it be MPH, HP or Psi, it's a number.

On this most recent 1 mile event in Nebraska Jr. had the fastest car and PC had the second fastest. We all know there's no love lost between these two, but that's another story I don't care to get involved with. The bottom line is that both the cars haul ass. The funny thing is is that Jr. seemed quite pissed to have missed the 200MPH mark at Maxton in 2001. His quote from the website is "I felt that the Stryker TT was capable of 220 to 230mph with ease." Yet due to Trans problems... he was unable to crack 200, even though when the trans was fine he only hit 167, then 183 with a damaged trans and finally 197. Well if he was running the new Stryker TT RS in Nebraska he should have done 200+. Where was the 220-230 the OLD setup should have made? Oh I know where it is. Sitting right next to the 300MPH Bonneville run... in Fantasy Land.

The old saying "In order to finish first, you must first finish" comes to mind. There's a big difference in making a number on a dyno for 5-10 seconds and running flat out for 25-26 seconds. This was proven by the SVS supercharged car blowing a belt on it's first run. This IS a common problem of superchargers. Anyone with EXPERINCE with these things knows this. With the crew SVS had in Nebraska, this should have been an easy fix to get that car ready for another run. You did bring spare belts for your customer didn't you? So was the reduction in power to make sure you "only" beat the competition or was it to make sure you keep Stryker RS together this time? I'm sure the SC car ran fine on the dyno, but in the real world it failed. Was this a fear on the Stryker RS too? We know the old configuration handled Bonneville just fine, get the bugs worked out and see what it can do, without detuning it. You start to look like a tuner in TX when you quote big numbers and can't back them up.

Mr. PC needs to be better prepared for racing as well, a slight fuel starvation problem at 9 Psi can be detremental to keeping a motor in one piece. However, 2 good runs is better than none. But if Jr had been this ill prepared he too wouldn't have made it into the 200's like he did on his final run. If you wanna play with the big boys, you need to be prepared.

I remember seeing the first SVS car back in 1995/96 with it's Hahn Racecraft turbo on it at Byron. The damn thing ripped off back to back 10.8?'s at 138 on slicks being driven quite mildly. How come none of the firms you work with ever get credit for their work? Everything you "Engineer" seems to come from some outside source, but that never seems to get mentioned anywhere on your website. I know Bill Hahn and if I remember correctly either he did the first or second configuration for you because the first one had problems. He may or may not have been blamed for the problems if he did the first one, but that was quite a while ago.

The real battle should happen at the Maxton Mile, where you both can bring your best. PC, don't forget to fill up with that high quality 93 Octane. Jr. let's see if Stryker CAN go 220-230, or just clear that statement off the website. If the other SC Vipers are going to attend, bring a spare belt so in the likely event you lose one, you have one ready to go. There should be plenty of Heffner, Roe, SVS, DLM and Hennessy cars that can make that trek, and maybe even a few NOS cars willing to take a poke at it. Let's see a few 200's at Maxton. But until then, ya'all should take a Motrin and wait for the cramps to go away.

OP
OP
S

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice try. You are so far off. still think its the RS? Man with 852rwhp and 960rwftlbs of torque at 7psi our competition was anihilated.

If a viper chuggs black smoke (looked like a diesel car) all the way through its run and you are told it ran out of gas. what could cause this? many people said they didnt hear the blower running like they did before this happened. I really dont understand how you blow black smoke when you run out of gas in a full throttle run? Can someone explain this?

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SVS TURBO, to blow black smoke either bad map sensor or hose to the intercooler blew off.

Juanmotime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off base? I'm quoting your words off your website. Even if you're NOT running the RS, 2 years ago you said the car should easily go 220-230. I'd love to see it and the rest of the guys on the board would love to see it too. From what we've seen the SVS Stryker will go 200. You've made 6 passes in the mile and that's what it does. 200.04 No more, no less. I'm not trying to market products to Viper owners, you are. If you want to sell some product, I'd suggest you and your customers go out and kick some ass. That's what the SVS competitors do, and it sells product. You've been in forced induction vipers for 9 years. How many have you sold to customers? When do we get to see one run without blowing a belt? The reason a guy like Lingenfelter does so well with Vettes is that he states a number, and backs it up, in a bullet proof package. He didn't have quite the luck with the Viper packages, but has enough GM to keep him busy.

You're on the right track running the mile and not the 1/4. I feel the mile is the best place to prove your cars performance since it's a better testament to it's horsepower than the 1/4 mile since soooo much emphasis is on traction and putting the power to the ground. Now show us instead of telling us how fast the Stryker really is.

I don't want to break out my 2500HP wooden bicycle and prove to the world.... we'll just let them imagine how fast it could be.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice try. You are so far off. still think its the RS? Man with 852rwhp and 960rwftlbs of torque at 7psi our competition was anihilated.

If a viper chuggs black smoke (looked like a diesel car) all the way through its run and you are told it ran out of gas. what could cause this? many people said they didnt hear the blower running like they did before this happened. I really dont understand how you blow black smoke when you run out of gas in a full throttle run? Can someone explain this?

Jr.,

A car tuned to run @ sealevel on the rich side will naturally run even richer at 3,000 ft of elevation as there is a lower density of air molecules. To put it in terms everybody, including yourself, can understand would be this: Less air + same amount of fuel = Rich.

In your original post, you said, " I heard, someone said they ran out of gas, in a full throttle run and only achieved a minimal speed?"

Here is the address on the picture gallery to the ticket that shows the MPH at the mile mark for all 3 runs: http://www.viperclub.org/menus/index_media.htm

I hope somebody will help me put the picture on this post.

My 3rd run was 172.6 MPH, hardly a minimal speed for low fuel!

You also said many people did not hear the blower running after the run...

=> Tell me this then, how did I run 172.6 MPH when stock Vipers were running 157 MPH in the mile? Do you think a low compression engine with no belt on the supercharger: pulling air through the airbox, through the supercharger, through the intercooler, back into the engine compartment y-pipe and into the throttle bodies(Quite a restriction in case you never thought about it...) could manage 172.6 MPH @ 3,000 ft of elevation up a slight incline for the last 1/2 mile? I think you have to think about what you are saying before you say such things. I guess it is easy to behave in such a manner when you are leaning against somebody else's million+ dollar turbo car.

You still are misquoting what I said about being low on fuel. You keep saying I ran out of gas...... I do not think Maybe you should re-read my post to see I was low on fuel and did not have enough fuel to feed the pump under full acceleration.

==> You might not realize this as you mostly drive the car while your pit crew does the tuning on the motec. If you think about it, this should clear things up a bit for you.

In your post that started this thread, you said, "My idea is always to give credit where credit is due.........."

It is nice to say such words in a rhetorical sense, but I do not remember you congratulating me as the second place finisher to the SVS turbo car and for me doing such a good job for my 1st time out with a brand new car that just got finished that I am still learning to drive. Like a good sport, I have already congratulated you and SVS for going 200 MPH in the mile and winning and I have also congratulated SVS for having the most powerful forced induction Viper on the planet. Where is the reciprocation? Come on,=> would it really kill you say something nice about me and my awesome Heffner supercharged Viper that went 191.8 MPH in the mile?

"My idea is always to give credit where credit is due.........." Come on and give it up for a fellow Illinois Viper club member.......

P.S. The same belt that went 191.8 MPH in the mile on my car in Nebraska has been eating bikes alive ever since I got back! It's still kicking ASP and taking names later!

Dave Golder

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Admittedly I'm a novice and simply a fan of all this banter but that seems to be a pretty heavy indictment against the durability of the boosted car. If that is the case then why would anyone want to drive a turbo charged vehicle?

As one of the guys who has run the N/A Winston Cup Car many runs and won most of them at all the open road races...Bad Byte....Turbo's and Supercharghed cars have NEVER performed well at the races. They have had some impressive mph #'s some just a tad over 200 but have never been able to run all day in the 220mph to 230 mph range which is needed. Difference is my motor was "designed" to run 9,000 RPM all day long where these other cars were not "designed" to accompany the stresses of the heat a turbo or S/C brings on under sustained boost. You can put Turbo's on a Viper Motor or my Nascar motor but they just ain't made for them. Turbo Cars runnning stock boost on engines designed for turbo's run fine in the 150-160 range. Crank em up and they melt every time.

As a matter of fact I drove through the flames of a Turbo Viper about 10 years ago at Silverstate. As I remember the car just melted...literally. God knows they are fast but 26 minutes at redline under full boost = KABOOM every time.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SVS TURBO, to blow black smoke either bad map sensor or hose to the intercooler blew off.

Ron, I remember seeing my car on the Heffner dyno blowing black smoke out the side exhaust under wot. It is tuned to run rich. I would rather run it a little richer and safer.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jr., You still have not answered my question about how many CFM your twin turbos flow @ 7 PSI....... I am sure it is way more than my car does at 9 PSI!

I try to address all your points and questions when I respond to your posts, I hope you can do the same for me.