Seat Questions? I may have answers...

seatguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was the engineer on the VGX seats during development and launch. I thought I'd offer up any help with seat related items.

I joined receently to inform all the rabid enthusiasts that I'm selling my SR Viper chair via Ebay 4341540582. I know others that may be willing to part with their Viper chairs if there is additional interest.

I have a quick weight savings tips if interested.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm interested in weight savings tips.

Overall, good job on the seats, although I had to buy an aftermarket kit to lower the driver's seat an inch to improve visibility (and I'm only 5'10".) It would have been nice to have some sort of knob you could turn to lower and raise the seat.

They are definitely some nice seats, and I've used them for track days and long trips, with no complaints.

Kai

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I sure wish the lower portion of the seats were a bit wider for long trips. Lowering the seat 2 inches and using the dead pedal helps, but cruising can be a "b_ll crusher". Any suggestions? Any way to mod the lower part of the seat?

OP
OP
S

seatguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a "reply to all":

Weight savings (~2lbs): Remove the ISOFIX bar (tube with brackets on ends and 2 wires in between). This is the child seat restraint system required by DCX. Most likely you will have to remove the passenger seat. Unclip the cushion trim cover via the rear J-clip only. This will expose 2 bolt heads on the outside bottom of the seat (above the tracks). Remove these 2 bolts and the ISOFIX bar will fall off into your hands. Assemble in reverse. The trim will be a bit baggy but shouldn't show through to the front side.

VGX is the DCX vehicle code for the vehicle.

DCX specifically did not want any seat adjustments except for fore/aft.

The seat is positioned as low as possible as still meet all the government regulations. I don't know the design of the "lowering kits" but I question if they would meet the strength tests required by law. I'm 6'4" and had difficultly with visibility while in the car. I'm for the lowering kit, but nervous about safety. The buckle is attached to the seat and not directly to the vehicle body (unlike the SR vehicle). Therefore, all the load during an impact travels through the seat structure.

Nope, I don't know Terry Lawson.

One thing that could be done to "widen the lower portion of the seat", if I understand directly, is to bend the cushion bolster wire by sitting on the outboard bolster. There is an 8mm wire welded to the metal cushion frame. The foam and trim are assembled on top of this. You should be able to bend it ~1/2" and not negatively affect the appearance of the seat. Maybe this will help. Good luck bending the inboard side since the tunnel is up against it.

Sitting position:
Everyone has their preference of seat position, especially in this type of vehicle. My preference, being 6'4", was to move the seat forward ~1-2" from full rear and recline the seat more than is possible in full rear. This helped my visibility under the header. Plus, I prefer a reclined posture.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The seat is positioned as low as possible as still meet all the government regulations. I don't know the design of the "lowering kits" but I question if they would meet the strength tests required by law. I'm 6'4" and had difficultly with visibility while in the car. I'm for the lowering kit, but nervous about safety. The buckle is attached to the seat and not directly to the vehicle body (unlike the SR vehicle). Therefore, all the load during an impact travels through the seat structure.

Hmmm. I did notice that the seat after install of the Northwind kit has a little bit more wobble than with the oem seat rails. Just one more thing to worry about, I guess. The increase in visibility is so much better with the lowered seat, I can't see going back to the higher one. I think I will pull the seat out again and tighten down and lock-tite the attaching bolts.

Kai

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey- Seat guy---
Could DCX make a Tall person's kit???
For all the cars they sell???
I'd pay $1000 for a kit that made me fit (and I'm 6'6")
in the cars....
PBR
10 of 50

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96