Short-Throw/Shifter Know-It-Alls...

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just picked up this used Hurst unit from Scharf. Questions:

1.) What am I missing? Is there anything in addition to what's pictured that needs to be in my possession before it goes on the car?

2.) If I'm missing anything, are they parts that can be reused from my current setup or do I need to order them from Hurst?

If it makes any difference, I have a MGW First Strike knob. Thanks in advance!

You must be registered for see images

Reaction score
Boy that looks like a shifter from the truck to me... but it is late so I could be wrong but I think not because it looks NOTHING like a stock one.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may be a truck shifter, like mjorgensen mentioned...

Mine I had in the Gen I, was alot shorter on top and took a hard 90 degree bend to the left and back up. It was not possible for the shifter to go straight up because of the plastic console. It had to bend left, then up.

Actually I found a small picture of the one I had. It was an SVS shifter.

the one you have pictured... Those 2 holes, remind me of my friend's "Pro 5.0" shifter I installed in his Cobra Mustang many years ago. You bolt an existing shaft to those 2 holes, like in the picture below. This is another reason I think this may be a truck shifter because that would increase the height if you bolt another shaft to the shifter, defeating the purpose of the "short throw".

Cobra shifter below:

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dammit. The title on Ebay was "Dodge Viper Aftermarket Hurst Shifter Gen 1, 2 Used" and the listing said "this is a used aftermarket Hurst shifter for a Gen 1 or 2 Viper." I asked Scharf for a model number and he said he got a box of parts from a tuner.

This was the only picture from the auction, so I didn't know what I was working with:

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is what D'Agostino Racing has on their site:

Doesn't quite look the same...crap...

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try calling him tomorrow and see if he will take it back in exchange for another one laying around the shop? I have his number if you need it. email me if you do.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paul has been a rockstar about customer service. I also won a Gen. II e-brake handle (I wanted a brushed finish) but Tator told me after the fact that it bolts up differently. Paul kept it and refunded my money. When I wanted a 708 instead of a Comp Cam, he had the 708 in the mail before I could even say yes.

I'm sure he'll take it back, but I just want to make sure it won't work before dealing with that. I really want a short throw and this was a good deal on a used one; I don't know if he has any more laying around.

Thanks, Paul!

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the 2" drop shaft in my car with the original shifter. Doesn't shortening the rod shorten the throw ?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jason,
I have the B&M with a MGW knob. Very short and very good feel. Utilizing the B&M setup, ther eis no need for the shorter rod. PM sent.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definately looks like the wrong shifter. I have the stock one out of my car that you can look at to compare. I have the B&M shifter in my car. It's nice. However, with a new Poly trans mount, I had to cut out some of the transmission tunnel in order to get the arm to have full range of motion.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Definately looks like the wrong shifter. I have the stock one out of my car that you can look at to compare. I have the B&M shifter in my car. It's nice. However, with a new Poly trans mount, I had to cut out some of the transmission tunnel in order to get the arm to have full range of motion.

Without the poly trans mount, was it okay? How substantial was the cutting?

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the link!

I jumped on the Hurst because it was $100, so that is not quite the steal, but I'll keep an eye on it. I wanted a B&M initially, but the used Hurst for $100 seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.

I'll be rethinking my strategy. So the concensus is this won't work, huh?

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nope, and Paul should not had advertised that it would fit the Vipers. Just the trucks.

In Paul's defense, there is no marking on the unit defining the model. When I called to ask, he'd just received a box of goodies from a tuner and didn't know where they came from. I'll just send it back and keep looking. Thanks for the info, guys!

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From experience, the Hurst shorty is a pain in the ass! The B&M was simple and required no cutting of anything and I have poly mounts. The Hurst we had to install through the top which required removing the rubber heat seal and rivets. You choose which you wanna put on, but my suggestion, once again, is to get poly mounts and a B&M and put em all on at the same time. Drop the trans, change the shifter install poly mounts and re-install the trans. Complete it all with a trans fluid change and rear dif. fluid change.

:usa:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking of increasing the size and throw of my shifter similar to the 1970 Super Bee 4 speed I used to drive. I sure miss reaching my full arms length at each shift! My stock Viper seems so short compared to those days. :D

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From experience, the Hurst shorty is a pain in the ass! The B&M was simple and required no cutting of anything and I have poly mounts. The Hurst we had to install through the top which required removing the rubber heat seal and rivets. You choose which you wanna put on, but my suggestion, once again, is to get poly mounts and a B&M and put em all on at the same time. Drop the trans, change the shifter install poly mounts and re-install the trans. Complete it all with a trans fluid change and rear dif. fluid change.

:usa:

Thanks for the heads up! I think I'm going to go with the B&M anyway. I poked around here and the Alley quite a bit and it seems the concensus is B&M or bust.

I plan on dropping the transmission in the next month or so to have it rebuilt, so the poly mounts will be going in. I've had some vibration in 6th so I'll check the motor mounts to see if they need to be done too.

Thanks!

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! I think I'm going to go with the B&M anyway. I poked around here and the Alley quite a bit and it seems the concensus is B&M or bust.

I plan on dropping the transmission in the next month or so to have it rebuilt, so the poly mounts will be going in. I've had some vibration in 6th so I'll check the motor mounts to see if they need to be done too.

Thanks!
Jason, i manufactor shifters for the SRT10 ram-the shifter you bought-is for a Ram truck.
sorry, but you got took.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think it was an honest mistake. Scharf stands behind his products, so he'll gladly take this back.

X-Metal, thanks for the confirmation. I'll send it back to Scharf, he'll relist it with the proper info and it'll go to someone who needs it. Thanks, guys!

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without the poly trans mount, was it okay? How substantial was the cutting?

I put the shifter in after the poly trans mount, so I don't know. As always, every Gen1 is a little different. You may fit just fine. Mine was rubbing when I tried to put it in reverse. It was nearly impossible to get it in gear. So I had to do some trimming.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I worked on my car tonight.... I had an SVS shifter in my RT and Really liked it! Now, my GTS has a B&M ( I found out tonight) and it pretty much feels the same with about the same basic design. Just thought I would let you know.... the SVS and B&M feel good. Call me if you have any questions. I can tell you how they both are installed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang