Should I sell?

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the deal...

MaxCare on my car runs out in a few months. I still like the car and so far it has been pretty reliable, but I am not too entusiastic about the idea of having it without warrantee. I do drive the car quite a bit.

How reliable are the older cars, when driven regularly?

I'm not sure if I should start looking for another car or stick with the GTS. I'm not a huge fan of the genIII, so if I sell it I think I'll be moving on to something else.

Bill

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the gen III, so if I sell it I think I'll be moving on to something else.
Bill

That was my line!
If your not sure don’t sell. It's a beautiful car, I’m getting excited about buying a Gen III, (I think mines sold), but damn! I’m gonna miss this GTS :-(

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's the deal...

MaxCare on my car runs out in a few months. I still like the car and so far it has been pretty reliable, but I am not too entusiastic about the idea of having it without warrantee. I do drive the car quite a bit.

How reliable are the older cars, when driven regularly?

I'm not sure if I should start looking for another car or stick with the GTS. I'm not a huge fan of the genIII, so if I sell it I think I'll be moving on to something else.

Bill

Can you buy an aftermarket warranty? Anyone have experience with one?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the gen III, so if I sell it I think I'll be moving on to something else.
Bill
RETRACTION!
I thought you said you WERE a big fan of the Gen III.
I think it's like saying you prefer Pamela Anderson over Selma Hayek.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would'nt drive a Viper that wasn't under warranty....Call one of dealer sponsors and see what they say.....good luck

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I do. DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT BUY EASY CARE WHICH IS A HUGE AFTERMARKET WARRANTY. I have a dodge ram 1500 with easy care and every repair must be reviewed personally by a local "inspector" who finds a fault and disallows the coverage. I was denied a transmission due to my tires being one size too large. I can't remember the details but stock size was 235x16 and my tires were 245x16 and easy care denied my coverage stating that the larger tires placed added stress on the tranny. They **** to the max.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper is a very reliable and simple car and most of expensive parts ( trim and body panels)are not covered once the manufacturer warranty expire.

The viper being a pretty expensive car, I will think that the vast majority (especially original ones )of owners make quite more than minimum wage and can afford to be "self warranted".

Luc.00GTS

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I do. DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT BUY EASY CARE WHICH IS A HUGE AFTERMARKET WARRANTY. I have a dodge ram 1500 with easy care and every repair must be reviewed personally by a local "inspector" who finds a fault and disallows the coverage. I was denied a transmission due to my tires being one size too large. I can't remember the details but stock size was 235x16 and my tires were 245x16 and easy care denied my coverage stating that the larger tires placed added stress on the tranny. They **** to the max.

Thanks for the heads up. But what if the car was completely stock? (nevermind, I'm sure they'll void the warranty if the tires aren't original make either)...hmmmm regarding body panels, I doubt damage to body panels would be covered even with the Max warranty, am I right? (Unless they were defective or something)..

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only sell if you are trading up to something better. I have thought about selling my car on several occassions for a SRT but have come to the realization that I love my car too much and the SRT line just does not have the same appeal. I will be keeping my car for quite sometime I think. God willing I will just be adding to my collection.

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think car warrantees are just scams that pray on peoples fears. I had my Viper for over a year and don't worry about the car breaking down. Vipers are easy to work on compared to other cars and general maintenance items like brakes are easy to do. Parts can be had for cheap if you shop around and stay away from the dealers. There are plenty of donor cars and websites for parts. The only thing you really need to worry about is the general maintenance which isn't covered under any warranty away. For example, I did my back brakes $45, which included cutting the rotors. Keep the Viper, it's a deal for a low production sports car and a guarantee classic. Besides, it's the only car I heard people say they are afraid of, this includes the owner of the car lot I bought my Viper from. Some sales pitch.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paying alot for a warranty is like betting against yourself. The Viper is a basic car. Not alot to go wrong. If you had a top of the line Jag or something similar with 14 fuse boxes, then you might want to think twice. Don't lose sleep over it. If the car becomes a KNOWN problem, then sell the car. "The only thing you have to fear is fear itself."

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldnt sell/trade it. Especially if you arent going to get in another Viper. They are too much of a classic and are reliable cars. If you havent had any problems up until now, just continue to take care of it and it should continue to take care of you.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To get rid of a car because it is not under warranty is just plain idiotic. Have you taken care of your car? Changed the oil regulary? Kept up on the antifreeze? Done regular maintenance? My guess would be that you have. Sure, if a Viper breaks down, it may be a little more pricey to fix but you take that chance with any vehicle you drive. As long as it is maintained properly, it will last just as long as any car out there, it is just a car! Just because it says "Viper" on the rear bumper doesn't mean it will only last to 50k miles and then be ready for the scrap heap.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To get rid of a car because it is not under warranty is just plain idiotic. Have you taken care of your car? Changed the oil regulary? Kept up on the antifreeze? Done regular maintenance? My guess would be that you have. Sure, if a Viper breaks down, it may be a little more pricey to fix but you take that chance with any vehicle you drive. As long as it is maintained properly, it will last just as long as any car out there, it is just a car! Just because it says "Viper" on the rear bumper doesn't mean it will only last to 50k miles and then be ready for the scrap heap.

Well stated

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guarantee you will regret later if you sell. 1) You will miss your first Viper that you took care of since new. 2) What could you possibly move on to that is as exciting overall? 3) Getting a replacement Gen II if you do will leave you wondering if the previous owner took care of it. 4) Your current Viper is paid off or close and buying someting else will cost way more than any failing Viper part would making your saving money theory false.

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did alittle research prior to getting my Viper, asking local Viper owners here in San Diego about reliability...All said the car was pretty reliable other than your normal wear and tear items. That was enough for me to get the car :) .

Bat™

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought my '01 GTS, and never gave a second thought to it not having a warranty. It only has 2,350 miles on it, but I have generally found that proper care and maintenance is the antidote for expensive repairs. Not always perhaps, but close enough for me ...

Mike M

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Consider this:

Put the cost of an aftermarket warranty (about $2,000....if it was available) in a interest bearing account, and you've got a bit of "self insurance" to utilize when a repair occurs.

Just a thought.

OP
OP

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the my car had low miles I wouldn't even consider it. However, it has 42k miles on it. Just wondering if the next 42k will be as problem free?

Bill

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
50k on mine...I drive it quite a bit, just ask anyone around Texas. Mine has had no problems. Just take care of it and it should be okay...although I can't speak for folks that track there cars though.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THe only reason I would sell.... If someone offered me several thousands more than the car was worth. I would then find another one :)

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the my car had low miles I wouldn't even consider it. However, it has 42k miles on it. Just wondering if the next 42k will be as problem free?

Bill

You do have a good point but besides normal items and the rebuild, I think you should be fine. I am acutally considering an extended warranty at the present time as well.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big ticket items are:

Engine- If it doesn't burn oil and you have never overheated it.

Tranny- If it shifts properly.

Rear end- If it is quiet.

Then you should be fine.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say sell it; no sense in wringing your hands endlessly about this.

It doesn't make a lick of sense, but it would certainly appear to be less stressful.