Side pod burning,

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was idling my Viper the other day in order to charge the A/C. After a time I discovered the right side sill was burning. The side where an old repair had been done. I hosed it down.
How is the outer side sill heat sheild mounted? I really don't want to take apart the good side to check. My guess is that it's glued to the aluminium sill. The two were separate when I dismantled the thing, and I think the sheild was resting on the catalytic converter. I don't think they're supposed to touch.
Any help on this would be appreciated.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on your year. Early ones had the shield and insulation rivited together but we all know about the corrosion issues that caused. Later ones were glued with a high temp rtv or silicone type.

If you have cats in, you'll continually run into the problem, remove or go with high flow...ensure your insulation and shield are in perfect shape, and you'll be good. The biggest issue is the cat.

OP
OP
T

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I'll also adjust the exuast so that it sits a little lower on that side which will help it ventilate. Now if I can only find that nut riveter locally around here.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC