Side Sill Heat Shield

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burnt through the ride side heat shield - need a replacement - anyone out there got one in good condition?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It always happens... Just a matter of time. Direct contact to the cat is the issue. Beyond that, the fact that there is no metal backing on his year Viper insulation also guarantees sill corrosion.

I'd suggest investing the $300 of so dollars to purchase the newer design sill insulation. Will still burn through if there is direct contact (hard to avoid) but the sill corrosion issues will be resolved.

OP
OP
G

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have headers on the car - [******] installed on the car when I bought it many moons ago. This type of header has the triangular gasket and three bolts that bolts the collector to the exhaust pipe just in front of the cat.

Had 1/2 cats on it but could not get the car thru smog after 35,000 miles on them so put stock cats on.
Bloke that did the job (Vipertech who shall remain nameless) did not replace the triangular gasket - it failed - Theory is this allowed a lot of air to be sucked into that side and this caused the heat factor to go high enough to burn through the insulation - patched it and that lasted about 6 months - so thats what happened.

Ron - $300 - what specifically are you talking about and where do I get it?

Thanks everyone
Gavin

OP
OP
G

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trust me - three bolts have to come out to replace the cat - want me to send a picture?????
Tech put a gasket back in that was already starting to fail - is subsequently failed and bingo - one burn't heat sheild.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gavin,

My mistake. I saw in the parts book "sill insulation inner" and assumed it was the inside the sill insulation. It's actually the frame side cat insulation. As far as I can tell, you can't purchase the inside the sill insulation without buying a whole new sill.

Anyone know different?

Thanks

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the whole Viper Kit from DC, the Viper runs much cooler and the A/C really works.
Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have, but watch out for the Viper Tax..............

:usa: :cool:

Tomas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Åland Islands (Baltic Sea Hawaii), FINLAND
Hello Everyone

I´m also loooking for heat shields for my sills. I was looking at http://atpwrap.com/viper.htm# and found lots of things to reduce the exhaust heat. But it is very expensive. Have someone tried just to go for the

5D (# 902 VIP 2203)Driver Side Viper Tunnel $298

13P (# 902 VIP 2204) Passenger Side Viper Tunnel $298

Or is it better to start with 4D and 12P????

341vipercoolkit.JPG

Will that help or? Do I have to go for more parts to reduce the heat on my sills??

regards

tomas