Skip Shift - question

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When was skip shift introduced?

Could not find anything here.

From the beginning (1992)? Or later?

I guess from the beginning, but I am not sure.

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our cars have a skip shift? :-0

I'll have to try accelerating slowly to see if that's true. ;)

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The skip shift started on Chevy brand 6 speeds before 1992. Worst idea put on a car till my 95 Ford Mustang locked automatically when started. Scraping the ice off the windows while the car warmed up has never been the same since then.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, it's been on since the 92' Viper. If yours doesn't force you into 4th when accelerating slowly from a stop, then yours was disabled by the previous owner. I just unplugged mine last year.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It was an emissions compromise for city rush hour.

Instal a resistor and the "check engine light" won't come on. It sells as a "kit", but the last time I bought it ($15) the shipping was an extra $40 with "brokerage fees". Wish someone would read their resistor code and tell me what the value is for the $.75 resistor.

Ted

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought on the whole skip shift eliminator idea:

Instead of paying for a part that jumps the electrical connector, why not just find a threaded plug, stick it where the skipshift solenoid is and zip tie the solenoid (still connected) to the side of the transmission? Seems like it would work. I may try it and see how it goes.

Total cost to modify: less than $5.00.

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Install a resistor and the "check engine light" won't come on. It sells as a "kit", but the last time I bought it ($15) the shipping was an extra $40 with "brokerage fees". Wish someone would read their resistor code and tell me what the value is for the $.75 resistor.

The resistor is a 1/4 watt 2.2K ohm; available from Radio Shack (271-1325) for about a dime.