So Long Viper...for now.

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the GTR for the first time upclose at a nissan dealer a few days ago. It looks really good, but im looking forawrd to seeing the 08 Viper coupe at a viper meet next weekend alot more. The GTR is much less exotic than the Viper. Buts thats my view of things based on never having sat in or driver either. How woudl you compare and contrast driving the Viper vs the GTR? Have you driven a 2008 Viper? I hear they are a vast improvment over the Gen III.

mmmmm black
You must be registered for see images

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a track modified GTS, a Paxton equipped SRT and just drove a new 08.

The new car is a pretty big leap forward. The engine pulls hard at upper revs, when the earlier stock cars flattened out. The transmission shifts much more cleanly, and less chance of missing a gear. The new rear end keeps you much straighter when spin is induced.

Think the new car will be a bit harder to get fast on the track, but ultimately will give much faster times when you get a handle on the increasing hp with revs.

New suspension with the better (non run flats) are smoother and better sorted out.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bat heres some of the mess that Nissan is putting owners through.. I got this off NAGTROC website. Absolutely unacceptable to sell a car with factory installed features that if used voids your warranty. 20k to replace a tranny if you turn your VDC off and tranny blows. Why make a button to turn the VDC off if the tranny is that fragile? Be careful Bat. When I first heard this stuff I thought it was just Japanese car haters spewing rumors. But it looks like alot of it is true. So far Ive heard that 27 owners have blown trannies and some of them are stuck with the bill for fixing it. 20k to replace a tranny is insane for a car without a premium badge attached to it. Another reason to love the Viper. Simple, brutally fast and you can beat the crap out of it with no worries comparatively.

Heres the quote from the owner:

"I was driving my gtr two weeks ago and I heard a loud noise coming from the rear. I turned immediately had my gtr towed to crown nissan st. petersburg fl. They didn't touch my car only called some techs from tennessee to look at the car and record the noise, 4 days later two guys from japan to download some info from the car then left. Then I get a call from the dealer to tell me the news, and they told me that the car was driven without vdc too much and nissan will not warranty the transmission which they said was destroyed, I asked them how much to fix it they told me 20k, no freaking way I will pay 20k on top of what i just paid for the car. I called the gtr number and also talked to nissan consumer affairs got nowhere, now the car is sitting at the dealer. I know we shouldn't launch the car but why own it if you cant use this function, don't sell a car that goes 0-60 in 3.4 sec if the only way you can achieve this speed is to void the warranty , false advertising. Here is the bad news people were fearing it has happened to me and Nissan has told me there are already three people in my shoes, if you are one of these people email me, we have got to get together on this. Just think if any of you guys have taken the vdc off just a few times you have already voided your warranty, good luck what a joke nissan. "

Read the rest here:
do not launch your gtr or take the vdc off - NAGTROC - The Nissan GT-R Owners Club

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I read that thread a while back. Go figure Nissan to develop such a car with all these gadgets and have the warranty voided for using them or turning them off. Didnt have those issues with the VIPER :D. I havent even used my launch control yet, not sure if I will either, dont wanna blow the tranny :D.

Bat

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In reference to the quote from the GTR owner I posted above there has been a responce from someone that posted anonymously on My350z that seems to know this particular situation intimately. Heres is his 1 and only post in responce to the above GTR tranny situation:

"That actually isn't true. In order to reach the Best 0-60 times you have to drive the vehicle in all race mode. Driving it with the VDC off and the other 2 in race mode will not allow you to do the launch properly. I'm sure it will still go fast, but not as fast as it can be..... and this is coming from an owner who knows someone who had transmission failure. He claimed no abuse to the car, but then did 35 launches before his brake in period was even complete. Most of these people complaining don't know how to care for a car. And for reference sake, Ferrari's launch system only allows 5 hard launches before you get a new clutch......"

Still doesnt excuse Nissan for not warrantying factory installed features. If LC and turning your VDC off will void ones waranty then why give the public the ability to do it? Its entrapment 101. That black box is a *****..
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That must such having to keep count of how many times a car has been launched hard. :rolaugh:

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, my beloved VOI9 is on its way to Sweden. As much as I loved it, I'm at a point where I want to try something new. I aquired a 2009 Nissan GT-R last Thursday. So far I'm really liking it, alot of techno gadgetry which I'm not used to yet. We'll see how things go for a year with the GT-R, who knows, I may be back in an 09 Viper next year ;).

Pics of my GT-R soon.

Bat™

Congrats man,

I'm in Socal and if you are ever up in the L.A. area I'd love to see the car.

I've only seen one on the road near my area.
:2tu:

I think after 3 Vipers you're ready to try something new. :D

Kadeuces

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Bat,

Still gotta get your buddy Ryan to fix my tint. I wanna come down and check that thing out. Maybe you can bring it to one of the events. Have fun with it for a year. I smell an 09 ACR in your future.

Kobi

OP
OP
B

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Bat,

Still gotta get your buddy Ryan to fix my tint. I wanna come down and check that thing out. Maybe you can bring it to one of the events. Have fun with it for a year. I smell an 09 ACR in your future.

Kobi

hey Kobi, I never heard back from you last time we spoke. Give me a call so I can get Ryan to redo your taillight Overlays. I want pics for my gallery!

Bat ;)

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wrong. That's not the reason SRT owners add a Quaife, the stock rear end does not have a reputation for grenading. Quaife is added for traction, NOT durability.

There are people who have broken the rear ends on these cars stock.

I suggest you search this very forum.

03 - 06 rear end components are the WEAK LINK of this platform, and not due to just traction problems.

If it was so durable it would have carried over to the Gen IV, and it obviously did not.
:eater:

Here's one thread

http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/616905-differentials-explained.html

Another:

Geared By UNITRAX! » Blog Archive » Limited-Slip Differentials For Dodge Viper SRT 10

"The 2003 version of the Hydra-Lok had an issue with the cross pins breaking. UNITRAX developed a replacement 300m cross pin to prevent Hydra-Lok failures. In 2004, Dana upgraded the Hydra-Lok with a heat-treated cross pin. Side gear and pinion gear failures have continued to plague the SRT 10 owners.

Unfortunately, dependability and durability issues have spoiled the promise of the M44-4 Hydra-Lok."

Last edited:

Indiana

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GTR would be a great DD in Colorado and a star at the Sunday night import meets. If your into that. :)

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
USUAL BATWOMAN BEHAVIOR. SAYS HE'LL POST PICS AND NEVER DOES. WHERE ARE THE PICS? BROKEN CAMERA? DID YOU NOT GET A VIPER? WHATS THE HOLD-UP THERE, BATCHICK?

:rolleyes::lmao:

Jax419

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe you gave up your Viper for a nissan.:( Good luck with the GT-R

How come you have to say it like that...He gave up his Dodge for a Nissan would make more sense or He gave up his Viper for a GTR

On topic, Good luck with the new car man!

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my GT-R just over a month now and put on over 1600 miles. My previous daily driver was a RENNtech E55, very fast and comfortable, but no handling, no style, and out dated electronics. For an every day car, I've had the wife and 2 kids in the car a few times already, I don't think there is any car that can really compare to the GT-R. The closest competitor is the 911 tt which is a lot more money.

The GT-R isn't a replacement for Viper or Z06, it's pretty much the opposite. The GT-R does get more looks than the Viper, but only because it's only been out a few months, and it's from a much different crowd.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte