So the woman was playing around with old pics...

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So "Mrs Taco" was playing around with some old pics of my car and within 10 min she made these. Very proud of her new hobby. She's been bugging me for Adobe Photoshop recently cuz she just got a new fancy DSLR camera, after seeing these I'm starting to reconsider my "no". Everyone agree Photoshop is worth it $$$? Sorry for the cellphone resolution, but you get the idea...

You must be registered for see images attach

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love it!! Because it looks just like mine! Except mine sits lower!:D

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a beautiful, timeless machine that 96 B/W is...very nice !! B proud.... you own one of the most beautiful cars in the world.

BigMrE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like Photoshop (although my knowledge is pretty limited).

If you want to get an idea, Adobe offers a free trial (I think for 30 days), or you can explore something like Gimpshop. It's free, based on the open-source GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program), and has a similar layout to Photoshop (disclaimer: I've never used Gimpshop or GIMP). Gimpshop is available on Windows and Mac.

Reaction score
You can actually do a lot with the very affordable Photoshop Elements - it can handle RAW format, handles layers and layer masks, and all at 1/6th of the price of the full thing. I find it a great compliment to my DSLR, and haven't seen the need to go for the full PS yet. Just a thought :) Other than that, though, I would definitely recommend PS over and above any other software, Elements or full.

OP
OP
D

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, guys. Ill look into it. I know NOTHING about photography. I'll pass along the nice words to her also.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Photoshop isn't bad, but just be aware they 'hook you' into upgrades. You don't have to buy a new version, but the old Photoshop versions never get updates to be able to read a newer camera's digital negative format (known as RAW generally). So if your wife decides to get a new DSLR 2 years from now, and she likes to shoot in RAW format, just be aware that you will need the latest Photoshop just to read those files without conversion.

Other than that, Photoshop is a great program, as massive overkill for photo and digital editing as the Viper is for the street. :D

I'd advise your wife to start with Adobe Lightroom, aka LR (PC and Mac) or Apple Aperture (Mac only) instead of Photoshop, because Lightroom and Aperture were designed for photographers (which include the old skool printing but more importantly cataloging your photos). Photoshop is way more powerful in editing and composition but extremely weak in library management. Also LR is waaaay cheaper than PS.

Just my 2 cents...I've used PS since 1.0 but have fallen way of that curve years ago but I do have the current version of PS (Aperture as well).

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PHOTO POS PRO is free and does everything PS does http://www.photopos.com/index.asp

The perfect Photo and Image Editor for you! Photo Pos Pro is an advanced yet extremely user-friendly and easy photo editing software and Computer Graphics Editor. Photo Pos supports advanced enhancing, editing and computer graphics, special effects, layers, vectorial objects, masks, brushes, and much more!

btw, I really like that second picture she did. :1up:
Mike

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice effort. Wish my wife would simply like my Viper enough to want to take pictures of it. LOL

My only critique is the overuse of contrast. The blacks are far to clipped. AKA the tires dissapear into the shadow making it look like your riding on rims only, showing off the huge stock wheel gap. To fix this she could isolate the tire on a separate layer to not apply as much effects. Learning how to isolate and break up your image into multiple layers is the key to good photoshoping IMO. Anyone can just throw a few global filters over everything and call it a day.

GIMP is nice, I've used it, then downloaded adobe using torrents, adobe is more user friendly but i now use niether as i mostly prefer to view and share natural images placing the emphasis on good photagraphy. If your wive hasnt yet, tell her to read up on all the different settings (ISO/Apeture/Shutterspeed) and learn how to shoot in manual mode. Its like driving a sports car with a manual transmision... once you do, you never go back to auto:)

Reaction score
One fun thing to try with a DSLR is getting it to autobracket exposures, and then use free HDRI software to make an HDRI image. Those can be quite catchy, as they capture shadows without bleaching out highlights, and highlights without making the shadows disappear into murk. Really needs a tripod though, and a stationary subject. The one I have had most success with is Luminance http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/?page_id=10 - my gallery has some with and without HDRI so you can see the kind of effect it comes with (and my avatar is currently an HDRI image). May not be to your tastes, but worth a look into as it can change the look of photos dramatically.

Definitely aim for getting the best possible shot from the camera with the least need for editing though :) The editing is great for being creative and getting weird, mind you, which sure can be fun in its own right, kind of like what people used to do in the dark rooms of old in the days of yesteryear.

mad prof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Artistic pictures which identify a timeless design concept and arguably the best North American execution of automotive production.

With your approval and the permission of Mrs TACO, I would like to use photo no2 in class.

OP
OP
D

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks for the opinions and feedback all. We're looking into the different programs you guys brought up and I guess we'll go from there. We've never heard of most of those programs. She's pretty excited by all the positive feedback and looking forward to takin more pics.

Mad Prof- of course, use whatever U need.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang