Soliciting Opinions..When to buy

RT10viperfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK I know no one has a crystal ball, so obviously responses will just be gut feelings. In the next 12 months, when would be the best opportunity to buy that 2001/2002 RT10 that I made room for in my garage last weekend?

I am thinking with the 08 coming out, the used market will be pretty good. Then again, the model year I am interested in is old enough that the poor slobs like myself that had to finance them will have had enough time to pay them off and could be considering adding that second Viper to the collection.

I'd appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would respectfully submit that you should buy in October/November as people do not want to store the car for the winter and people will be trading for the new 08 models. Just a thought. You might get the deal of a lifetime.

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No telling when the right car at the right price will present itself. Too many factors to consider. With the market conditions being what they are presently, you will likely see quite a few good deals on Vipers and many other things as well. Things are not good right now and seem to be getting worse. Many with disposable income are not considering that money too disposable right now and are clenching tight. I'm sure you can find yourself a great deal now if you just look around. Best of luck to you in your search.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
car values are down right now. the winter months are the best time to buy vipers, esp convertibles. i would say anytime between now and the end of spring would be good time to buy.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even in Florida where we don't have a winter?

Hmmmm...good point, Karen!!! Don't know...but I'd also presume with the rest of the consensus that winter is a good time to buy, no matter WHERE you are located...and of course, it's all contingent on WHAT you want to buy--an '08, '06, '03-'05SRT, vert/coupe, etc..etc...etc.........Keep looking and see what's out there, if you SEE something you want, try to grab it up!!! GOOD LUCK to ya~!~! Of all the women here on the forums, girl, YOU deserve the Viper you want!!! Again, go for it!!~~:drive: :cool: :cool: :cool: ~juli~

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Between Jan - Dec when you have the $$$$$$ :D Sorry I can't resist:D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I figure I saved about $5,000 when I bought my 98 GTS last November. Storms and Blizzards kept all the Vipers parked in their garages back East. I drove mine home and parked it until the end of May. The market went soft this summer and I bought another one for only $4,000 more that had a higher value (01GTS). If I was buying another one, I'd buy after Xmas wehn everone is broke and the weather *****.

Ted

OP
OP
R

RT10viperfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is really harder than I thought! (Yeah I know everyone should have such problems)

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am new to this board, and although this is my 1st post Ive been lurking this board for a couple of months, I will be buying, in the next 2-3 weeks, I've been searching everywhere, I am looking for a gts or acr, with miliage no more than 20000 must be in great shape, the blue book on these things arent that high, some of the owners and dealers are asking up to 10k and over on some of these cars, I know with used cars dealers can get a car whole sale for 30k and charge 45k, so should I go private or dealear? with most dealers I can get a warranty, which is nice in the situation I am in, I can afford the car, the insurance and the general maitenence,but I cant be buying a car that needs a new clutch or tranny head gasket etc, I wont be able to fix it at this point. I know people might be saying well if you cant fix the car maybe you shouldnt buy it, but a little quick back story of why this car is so important to me, I had a C5 Z06 3 years ago(it was my 4th vett, it was a low 11 second car off the bottle, so I had some major mods to it, long story short, I got sick, had to have 2 surgerys, I have health insurance, but it still wasnt enough to cover all the bills, I had to sell my car, Ive been saving every penny since Ive got better. A new Viper or Z06 is way out of my budget, regardless ever since I had to sell the vette, my mind was on a gen 2 viper, although I love the vett, when you see one go down the street most people will not be able to tell if is a Z06 or not, when a Viper goes down the street everybody knows what it is, regardless to me Viper and Vett are Americas muscle cars, forget the Lambos etc just give me a Vett or Viper.. I ususally buy new, but its always been vetts, particularly the Z06, but its way to expensive for me ,and even though it kicks some butt, the thing that really bothers me is you really cant tell the difference between the standard, and Z06, Ive been a Vette man all my life, but its time to change, I dont care anymore about who is faster bal bla bla, we all can control who is faster, by whipping out our wallets as I will do when I save more money, besides most of the Vipers have work already done to them, and I still have a nx express wet kit I took off the vette, that will make a nice addition to my Viper.. For me the Gen 2 Viper has always been the ****, I love its lines, and the muscularity of it, I still like the Genn 3, but there is something about a racing striped gts gen 2 that just does it for me. I have a little more than 40k in cash to spend and I'm tapped out(I do not want to finance again). I need some help from you guys, on what to look for etc(please feel free to pm me), like I said, I'm just about ready to pull the trigger I know now is the time to buy, but I dont know what to look for in these cars. I'd appreciate any help, I dont want to buy a bad car, also the anticipation is killing me, I want my Viper!!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd appreciate any help, I dont want to buy a bad car, also the anticipation is killing me, I want my Viper!!!

Vipers make strange noises, are hot, uncomfortable for some, twitchy and uncontrolable for others. Some parts are expensive, some parts are not. They are not luxurious. They are not built to do the driving for you. They don't feel like a Vette, Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes or Cadillac, they feel like a Viper.

And after you get one you are not allowed to complain about any of the above.

Good luck.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers make strange noises, are hot, uncomfortable for some, twitchy and uncontrolable for others. Some parts are expensive, some parts are not. They are not luxurious. They are not built to do the driving for you. They don't feel like a Vette, Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes or Cadillac, they feel like a Viper.
Good luck.

LOL--Amen to what Chuck said above!!! The Viper IS A DRIVERS' car...you MUST know what you are doing in this vehicle....start off very slow, warm those tires up, most of all--ENJOY!!!!! (BTW----don't let on, but BLACK is the fastest color!~! ;) )
~juli~

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good luck.

All my cars made strange noises, my Z06 was always hot after I did all the internal mods, and was useless in the 1st 2 gears(as is any car with over 500hp), I'm only 34 years old, been racing on racetracks since I was 17, I dont let any car do the driving for me, I am the driver, I should hope the Viper doesnt ride like any of the other cars, cause it isnt any of the other cars, do you think a Porsche rides like a cadilac? or Benz?, I have driven every car except the ferrari you have mentioned above(atually the gen 3 is more tame than the new Z06), my question was what to look for when buying a used gen 2 Viper, not any complaints about the rawness of it, I am fully aware of the rawness. I like it, fits my personality to a tee, from the looks of me do you gather that I'm going to complain, about strange noises, and being hot? LOL! that is my life, I am ********, been through nasty surgerys, trained in 100+ degree sweatbox gyms, posed in front of 1000 people on stage sqeezing my muscles so hard they cramp,(still do). Just want to know what to look for when buying a used VIPER, as would any consumer, that is all I was asking, anybody else here can give me some honest constuctive tips? anything would be greatly appreciated thanks. I'm sure not getting much from the dealers(as to be expected, they just want to sell a car)

Attachments

• 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 31

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL--Amen to what Chuck said above!!! The Viper IS A DRIVERS' car...you MUST know what you are doing in this vehicle....start off very slow, warm those tires up, most of all--ENJOY!!!!! (BTW----don't let on, but BLACK is the fastest color!~! ;) )
~juli~

Actually, I have only been looking at the black ones:)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All my cars made strange noises, my Z06 was always hot after I did all the internal mods, and was useless in the 1st 2 gears(as is any car with over 500hp), I'm only 34 years old, been racing on racetracks since I was 17, I dont let any car do the driving for me, I am the driver, I should hope the Viper doesnt ride like any of the other cars, cause it isnt any of the other cars, do you think a Porsche rides like a cadilac? or Benz?, I have driven every car except the ferrari you have mentioned above(atually the gen 3 is more tame than the new Z06), my question was what to look for when buying a used gen 2 Viper, not any complaints about the rawness of it, I am fully aware of the rawness. I like it, fits my personality to a tee, from the looks of me do you gather that I'm going to complain, about strange noises, and being hot? LOL! that is my life, I am ********, been through nasty surgerys, trained in 100+ degree sweatbox gyms, posed in front of 1000 people on stage sqeezing my muscles so hard they cramp,(still do). Just want to know what to look for when buying a used VIPER, as would any consumer, that is all I was asking, anybody else here can give me some honest constuctive tips? anything would be greatly appreciated thanks. I'm sure not getting much from the dealers(as to be expected, they just want to sell a car)

Sounds good. Like all car makes we get our fair share of whiners here. We just like to warn folks who have never had a Viper what they are in for, or in the case of these no frills Vipers, what they are NOT in for.

Be patient. You'll find the Viper you're looking for.

Welcome.

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good. Like all car makes we get our fair share of whiners here. We just like to warn folks who have never had a Viper what they are in for, or in the case of these no frills Vipers, what they are NOT in for.

Be patient. You'll find the Viper you're looking for.

Welcome.

I agree with you there, people still complain about the interiors, of their vets and vipers, and noise resonance from certain exhausts, I could care less give me a high HP motor a shell and a seat, reliablity and I'm happy. I must say however I think the seats in the Viper are very comfortable.

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YAYYYYYYY---you are one FINE PROFESSIONAL....professional what? you ask??? (don't know!!!)....goooooo BLACK!!!! ~juli~

That one flew over my head I don't know what a fine professional is either?, but I do agree, black looks the best, I have 4 cars in mind, 3 of them are black, my last car was black, and I swore I would never get another, cause they get dirty as you are cleaning them, but I just cant help myself, I will know in a few weeks.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That one flew over my head I don't know what a fine professional is either?, but I do agree, black looks the best, I have 4 cars in mind, 3 of them are black, my last car was black, and I swore I would never get another, cause they get dirty as you are cleaning them, but I just cant help myself, I will know in a few weeks.

LOL--was a joke!!! BLACK IS the best color for a mean-BEASTLY looking muscular car!!
BUT, I agree with the cleaning...shows up EVERYthing and anything....but we're fanatic, as most of us Viper owners are about cleaning everything...I'm sure you will be too...can't wait to see what your decision is...LET US KNOW!!!~~~~juli

OP
OP
R

RT10viperfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am new to this board, and although this is my 1st post Ive been lurking this board for a couple of months, I will be buying, in the next 2-3 weeks, I've been searching everywhere, I am looking for a gts or acr, with miliage no more than 20000 must be in great shape, the blue book on these things arent that high, some of the owners and dealers are asking up to 10k and over on some of these cars, I know with used cars dealers can get a car whole sale for 30k and charge 45k, so should I go private or dealear? with most dealers I can get a warranty, which is nice in the situation I am in, I can afford the car, the insurance and the general maitenence,but I cant be buying a car that needs a new clutch or tranny head gasket etc, I wont be able to fix it at this point. I know people might be saying well if you cant fix the car maybe you shouldnt buy it, but a little quick back story of why this car is so important to me, I had a C5 Z06 3 years ago(it was my 4th vett, it was a low 11 second car off the bottle, so I had some major mods to it, long story short, I got sick, had to have 2 surgerys, I have health insurance, but it still wasnt enough to cover all the bills, I had to sell my car, Ive been saving every penny since Ive got better. A new Viper or Z06 is way out of my budget, regardless ever since I had to sell the vette, my mind was on a gen 2 viper, although I love the vett, when you see one go down the street most people will not be able to tell if is a Z06 or not, when a Viper goes down the street everybody knows what it is, regardless to me Viper and Vett are Americas muscle cars, forget the Lambos etc just give me a Vett or Viper.. I ususally buy new, but its always been vetts, particularly the Z06, but its way to expensive for me ,and even though it kicks some butt, the thing that really bothers me is you really cant tell the difference between the standard, and Z06, Ive been a Vette man all my life, but its time to change, I dont care anymore about who is faster bal bla bla, we all can control who is faster, by whipping out our wallets as I will do when I save more money, besides most of the Vipers have work already done to them, and I still have a nx express wet kit I took off the vette, that will make a nice addition to my Viper.. For me the Gen 2 Viper has always been the ****, I love its lines, and the muscularity of it, I still like the Genn 3, but there is something about a racing striped gts gen 2 that just does it for me. I have a little more than 40k in cash to spend and I'm tapped out(I do not want to finance again). I need some help from you guys, on what to look for etc(please feel free to pm me), like I said, I'm just about ready to pull the trigger I know now is the time to buy, but I dont know what to look for in these cars. I'd appreciate any help, I dont want to buy a bad car, also the anticipation is killing me, I want my Viper!!!

OMG, I think I found my identical twin brother that I have been searching for since I has 3! Except for the Vette stuff and except for the GTS.

I am in the same boat with you on many of your statements, except...gasp...I am a woman. That makes it twice as hard!! I have zip, zero, nil mechanical expertise so that makes is it ten times harder to know if the car is a real deal or a hunk of crap. Your budget is right there with mine and I too am partial to the Gen 2's, although that fricking SRT10 looks better and better everytime I look at it.

I too have noticed that the private sellers seem much more reasonable about the asking price than the dealships, but you can still get a car under warranty (barely) on the gen 2's from a private owner.

What part of the country are you looking in Dave? I am hoping to find my dream car in Florida and don't see that as much of a problem since there are lots and lot and lots of Vipers available right now in the state.

Keep us posted.

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine in the winter. It is absolutely the best time to buy. I feel I saved about $5K. Also, when it was delivered February, I had two months of good old salivating, getting the title and plates. Then when April came I was on the road.

I had a buddy buy a Cobra at the end of summer and he only got about 2 months driving time before it was too cold. He said if he did it again, he would buy in the winter.

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine in the winter. It is absolutely the best time to buy. I feel I saved about $5K. Also, when it was delivered February, I had two months of good old salivating, getting the title and plates. Then when April came I was on the road.

I had a buddy buy a Cobra at the end of summer and he only got about 2 months driving time before it was too cold. He said if he did it again, he would buy in the winter.

I agree with you , but the market is so down right now on everything, I know I'm going to save some money by buying now, I dont see many Vipers selling here or anywhere else, I'm even seeing used 2006 C6 Z06's for low 60's, and new 2007 5-8k off sticker, that was unheard of a few months ago, its going to make my buying a nice low mileage Viper easier. Those who are asking high 40's to low 50's for 7-8 year old cars without a warranty know they arent going to get that. Even the gen 3's are going to take a dip because of the new 600 hp monster that is coming out, with basically no price change. I applaud Dodge for this, they keep nothing secret, unlike chevy with the Corvette, everything is a secret until last minute, this is another reason I have strayed from chevy. I remember 4 months before the Z06 came out ordering a brand new loaded C5, when I ordered the car I asked the dealer out this so called supervette that was supposed to come out, they told me they knew nohing about it, as chevy was keeping it under wraps, as they are with the blue devil. Four months, only a month after I recieved my car the Z06 came out, I was so mad I went straight to dodge and picked out a 98 viper gts, had a deal all worked out, told them to hold it for me for 24 hours, and gave them a deposit, the guy I was dealing with told me to call me in the morning to let him know I was on my way, so they could have the Viper prepped and ready for me. I called in the morning as I was driving there, and he told me they just sold the car, an hour ago, I dont even want to tell you how I went off at everybody in that place when I picked up my deposit. ********** even more I went back to Chevy and bought the 1st Z06 that landed they stuck it to me 5k over sticker. The next year chevy came out with the 405 hp Z06 , and marketed the hell out of it, funny thing is that, that pretty much was all it was, Marketing, a couple of adjustments here and there and oh boy, the next latest and greatest, problem is those cars wernt any faster, and didnt dyno any more, it didnt mater to me anyway, cause I eventually tore my whole motor apart and made it a 600hp monster, I had to sell a couple of years ago, knowing the next car I would be buying was a gen 2 Viper, the car I should of had in the 1st place, but I'm getting a good price this time, its a buyers market right now, and I'm ready use that to my full advantage. I'm done with chevy, every year there is some big secret, or the latest and greatest, its funny how people buy into it.The thing about they Viper I have always liked is that the car has always been consistant, Dodge doesnt use any gimmicks , and doesnt hide their mules, before the gen 3 came out they showed the world right away, although I really dont know where the extra 50hp is cause those cars(gen2 -3) run dead even at the dragstrip and gen 2's seem quicker on a track, I think some of the gen 2 are very under-rated, regardless I cant wait to see what the the 600hp Viper can do, dont know what the Blue Devil will do, cause chevy hides it, and hasnt even said how much horse it will have 600?, 650? 700? rummors say 650, Ive gone a little off track here, just a little venting before I make a fairly big:crazy2: purchase.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery