Some Results from the Central Florida VCA Drag Race Day

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cudaman, That is just like loosing a member of the family.....it's tough. I agree with Mike, The best way to get over it is to wait a few weeks and get a puppy.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something is wrong with your car. Check boost/air-fuel/timing/fuel pressure. Who did the work ? What did Sean and Larry say about it ?

What was Dougs (DLM) et ?

Mike (1BADSNK),
Stop by the shop and lets check for full throttle. We can also make a 0 or 2 degree timing retard program for use with 100 octane the next time you do a track event. I would not expect your best times with street fuel and the gas pedal bottom hitting the floor (which helps explain how you were equal to maybe being pulled slightly by Keith's stock Gen1 when your GTS was stock). We can also hit the dyno for power / tuning confirmation.

Tony,
Doug's ET on the 147 MPH run was 10.5. The car sounded good. I believe traction was an issue.

Tom,
Thanks for letting me put some stuff from my car in your trailer. Next time charge me storage and apply it to a new set of tires ;)

It was a good event. Surprising that it didn't rain. I think everybody got their fill of runs.

Regards,
Sean

Sean is correct. I was finishing a s/c install yesterday and did the normal throttle blade check.......made me think of yours. I meant to add it to the list.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean, I don't think you posted the correct time for the DLM car. I was told by Doug the first pass off the trailer was a 10.25 @ 147.42. The car had cats and a stock cam. Traction was an issue and the car was blowing through the clutch. They were trying a custom built clutch that didn't work. Too bad

The BTR car ran great and so did BTR's customers car (I don't remember their names, sorry about that).

Ward, that is sad to hear about the loss of your Dog, I hope the kids are ok.

-Lou

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One correction on the Gen. II stock class. Antonio Ciocca ran a 12.358 @ 120.19 MPH to take second place in the stock Gen. II class. Paul Arnold took third place with a 12.545 @ 115.23 MPH. Sorry for the oversight.

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just one note. . .next year we will have a modified class for Gen. I, Gen. II and SRT 10. Showroom Stock classes will have to be just as it says, STOCK! No mods. at all! All in all, everyone had a great day and lots of runs. Gainesville is certainly one of the best tracks in the USA. They did a great job for the club and we look forward to next year.

1BADSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded for the suggestions to help get my car up to it's potential.

Thanks to Sean Roe for doing a last minute install so I could have it at the track last Saturday and for being there to help tune it. His assistance did shave a few tenths off of my time but there has to be an underlying problem with my car. Sean did find a potential problem with my throttle linkage not opening up all the way that I forgot to mention and my cat's might be all wrong for the car.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sean, I don't think you posted the correct time for the DLM car. I was told by Doug the first pass off the trailer was a 10.25 @ 147.42. The car had cats and a stock cam. Traction was an issue and the car was blowing through the clutch. They were trying a custom built clutch that didn't work. Too bad

The BTR car ran great and so did BTR's customers car (I don't remember their names, sorry about that).

Ward, that is sad to hear about the loss of your Dog, I hope the kids are ok.

-Lou

Hi Lou,
Yea, I heard Doug talking about the clutch problem at the end of the day. I didn't watch every run everybody did, but was standing next to Tom when Doug made a pass at 10.5X at 147.XX MPH on nitrous (he was purging at the start line). If Doug told you he did a 10.2 at 147 MPH right off the trailer then I'm sure he did. Sorry for any confusion.

Regards,
Sean

1BADSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Sean found the biggest culprit on why my car was slower than expected. I have had this car since May and never knew I wasn't getting full throttle. When I had the car in for the blower install Sean mentioned to me that my gas pedal appeared to be hitting the floor before W.O.T. With all his moving he his doing and my anxiousness to drive the car we both forgot about it and off I went to the drags in Gainesville. It wasn't until the end of last Saturday at the track that we both remembered about the linkage.

Today at Roe Racing we figured out what was wrong. My throttle linkage was only opening about 2/3 of the way. My throttle cable on my 2002 was longer than any Sean has seen before and my gas pedal was hitting the pedal bracket. After some adjustments were made by Sean the car now feels like the beast I thought it should.

Not sure why my throttle cable is longer but if anyone isn't getting the dyno #'s they expect from their car they should check the linkage. It's probably been like that since it left the factory. I was also told of another car in Michigan that had the same problem.

So I guess 12.2's at 118-119 mph wasn't too bad for 2/3 throttle.

Thanks again Sean. My car puts a big smile on my face now.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up Sean. I wasn't there but I spoke to Doug after the race. He said he ran 147 mph more than once :) :) but the clutch got worse towards the end of the day :confused: .

-Lou

TFAST4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To all .

I had a blast. But the best part of all I got to meet new Viper owners that never drag raced. Thay were like kids in a candy store. The Track Manager gave a disertation for 20 min. on how to drag race. I never thought some one would take the time to show how drag racing works and how fun it is. Props to the Track manager for doing that. Hell I even learned a few things as well.

Thanks to Gary and his wife for a wonderful time. Thanks to the tuners, friends and new faces. I will be back next year.

I hope some of you that were there @ the event that never ran the 1/4 mile befor post what you think of raceing for the first time. I spent more time with these guys that never raced because thay were having the most fun beating on there Viper. It was so cool. I for got his name but he had a Silver SRT10 and wanted so bad to run in the 12's . Now remember this is his first time ever on a track, and ran 12.80's. Good for him!