Someone show me where the harmonic balancer is.....

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All this talk about the bolt coming loose and all gave me the *******. Problem is I just got my Viper and haven't really driven it yet. Can someone show me where I can find the harmonic balancer and which bolt I should tighten just in case?

PS, besides power steering cap, tires & harmonic balancer, anything else I should be worried about? Thank you much! :buttkick:

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Harmonic balancer is in tandem with the crank pulley. Look down at the main crank pulley and you will spot the balancer.

Any other problems would depend on the year of your car...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you dont know where the balancer is, just take it to a tech as its not gonna matter. you wont know if its right or not. same goes for the cap,tires etc...

call a tech

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you trainville. The car is a '97 GTS...but I was wondering whether I could see the main crank with the intake and tubes still attached, or am I going to have to remove those to see whether the bolt is loos or not? (I'm currently at my office and my car is at home...I'll have to look later)

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if you dont know where the balancer is, just take it to a tech as its not gonna matter. you wont know if its right or not. same goes for the cap,tires etc...

call a tech

Good call. I have to find one in L.A...I'm sure that won't be too hard.

Turbo50Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...but I was wondering whether I could see the main crank with the intake and tubes still attached, or am I going to have to remove those to see whether the bolt is loos or not?

:rolleyes: Uhhh...Yeah...You're going to want to find a Viper tech.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Saint Spinner,
You are in L.A. so you should definitely check out DC Performance. Dan is a great guy. Right after I bought my '02, I took it to him and had him go through the entire car. It was well worth it for the piece of mind.
www.dcperformance.com

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Saint Spinner,
You are in L.A. so you should definitely check out DC Performance. Dan is a great guy. Right after I bought my '02, I took it to him and had him go through the entire car. It was well worth it for the piece of mind.
www.dcperformance.com

Thanks for the link! I'll give Dan a call!

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
lol. yeah...regarding the intakes and all...I was just reading another thread about the harmonic balancer and that it required the removal of the box to gain access to the bolt or atleast "pinning" it. I finaly popped the hood for the first time today...man, pictures don't do the Viper block justice. The car was delivered last nite and I didn't have the chance to play with her yet. I should take tomorrow off :)

2000gtsgsxr1000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get to it to check it without removing anything.Mine has stayed tight with periodic checks to keep my sanity.Its a 1 1/4 socket that fits it.Same with power cap,I just tightened it as tight as I could and put a tube with two zip ties on it and it never has moved.

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can get to it to check it without removing anything.Mine has stayed tight with periodic checks to keep my sanity.Its a 1 1/4 socket that fits it.Same with power cap,I just tightened it as tight as I could and put a tube with two zip ties on it and it never has moved.

Thanks alot gtsgsxr!! Appreciate it. I'll do the same right now!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant