Something went... "POP!"

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something went... \"POP!\"

Ok, I'm tooling around at a very respectible rate of speed, 35 in a 35 MPH zone... up comes the 45MPH speed limit sign so I downshift to second and accelerate hard. (Ok, I'm guilty of wanting to have a little fun in the snake!)

Something went, "POP!" in the back (there's nothing in the trunk, unless the spare is loose or something).

I haven't heard it again... but am scared to really downshift and 'hit it'.

I'm mechanically-thought challenged so any *helpful* insight would be appreciated.

Recoil

OP
OP
R

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Something went... \"POP!\"

No recent mods. I bought the 2000 GTS (in case year matters!) with Snake-Oyl exhaust, K&N air filters and smooth tubes.

I am going to do the very same maneuver tonight and listen again. It sounded structural to me (and I swear I could feel the pop, but it happened so fast).

If it does it again, I'll look for any loose bolts (I'm not one for going under the hood, sad to say).

Thanks guys!

Steve,
RECOIL

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had the same sound a month ago. Does it seem to hit hard and seems to go through the pedals? To reproduce it, get on it hard again and see. If that is the case, tighten the differential mounting bolts (should be 2)and the transmission mounting crossember (should also be 2). My problem was to tighten the transmission mounting crossember. Do that and see. Make sure that they ARE TIGHT!

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score

one of the first few times i drove my 96 GTS hard, i had the same thing happen. if you were really running it hard and ran the rpm up to about 6250 rpm, the fuel pump was shut down, and you probably heard a big backfire. all is ok, just remember to shift at about 5500 rpm for max excitement.

OP
OP
R

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guys,

Thanks for all the info! I'm going to see if any of the bolts are loose under the car.

I hit it again last night w/o the pop. Who knows?!

Maybe I'll apply the "if it's stuck, force it. If it breaks, it was meant to be replaced." mentality...
You must be registered for see images

Recoil

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog