speedo swap

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm swapping my euro (kmph) speedo for a mph speedo, reading the service manual the trickest part looks like removing the 'instrument panel bezel' any tips or tricks that will help this go smoothly?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did this to convert my Canadian car kph speedo to US mph.

The bottom edge of the instrument panel has screws, the upper edge has spring loaded flat "pins." Picture the end of your middle finger on top of your first finger, then curl your middle finger and the gap between your knuckles grows. This is what the pin does to keep it in the dashboard. The secret is to get a grip on the dash on both sides of the pin and pull evenly so the pin does not [******] as it comes out of it's slotted hole. The pins are spaced far apart enough that a reasonable Yank (British humor) won't remove more than one pin at a time.

Don't like the 300 (kph), going down to 200 (mph)?

OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am swapping the whole speedo, the kmph is pretty useless in the UK as the mph
numerals are so tiny you've got no chance of reading them at speed. We are mph over here unlike the rest of Europe, but even UK cars direct from Chrysler come with kmph speedo's (mine came from Belgium)

The 'instrument panel bezel' is the black cover that go's over all the clocks, (full width of the interior)

Cheers :2tu: for the help Tom

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. I've been censored. I meant to say "so that the pin does not c_o_c_k as it comes out..." and it was censored.

Also, Neil, when I said to get a grip on the dash, I meant that you hand position is an inch or two left and right of each pin, dislodged one pin at a time. You wouldn't be holding the entire dash and pull them all out at once. I think there are probably eight pins.

For fun, lets try again. [******] <-- did it change yet?

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would anyone of you be willing to sell the kmph speedo as I bought a US car and I live in canada

If so how much?

STL RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just be gentle with the panel, they come out pretty easily. Take your time. PM me if you have specific q's.

OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just be gentle with the panel, they come out pretty easily. Take your time. PM me if you have specific q's.
cheers for the offer

may sell mine on also 16.5K km's on it, after the swap has occured

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Nadine did your install you probably get an E.T., trap speed and G-force readout by honking your horn now. And missles from your high beams...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960