Sport Compact Car "Ultimate Street Car Challenge" ==> I'm in........

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Sport Compact Car

For the base price - I wasnt sure if they were going to use the " modified" for the US price or the Japanese sold price. They used the sold in Japan price.

If they used the modified price - then they should take all the mods of the cars into account also. It would start to get complicated and very messy.

Whats up Russ........ hows the Viper ?.... how about the Honda ?

As far as a cakewalk last year. A GT-R with little prep finished 5 points behind the Viper. 11.6 in the quarter with 509 at the wheels . The GT-R this year has 600. 1.04 on the skidpad. 107 feet stopping , last year...

I'll be driving the car on the dragstrip. Russ - you know how I like boost....

Nick, I am glad to see you posting here! After all that smack talk between us on the email list this winter, we finally get to compete against one another! I hope you are driving the road course portion like I will be! Since our cars are so vastly different, it will be interesting to see how everything shakes out! Good luck in preparing and I will see you there!

tyndago

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not Nick , sorry didn't have a signature on my posts. I am preparing his car out at our shop here in Los Angeles.

We have just been checking into our competition for the competition.

Good luck.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Regarding price, this is a street car competition so all cars should be legal to drive on the street. For the Nissan, that means a federalized US legal car. For a Photon or something like that, it means using the street legal version.

I don't think cost of mods is relevent. Why penalize for mods when the competition is pretty much about having mods, besides there is no way to accurately capture it anyway.

Adjusting base price for todays dollars probably makes since as well, otherwise the older cars have a built in edge that is not related to the actual competition.

--- Ken

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For the base price - I wasnt sure if they were going to use the " modified" for the US price or the Japanese sold price. They used the sold in Japan price.

If they used the modified price - then they should take all the mods of the cars into account also. It would start to get complicated and very messy.

Whats up Russ........ hows the Viper ?.... how about the Honda ?

As far as a cakewalk last year. A GT-R with little prep finished 5 points behind the Viper. 11.6 in the quarter with 509 at the wheels . The GT-R this year has 600. 1.04 on the skidpad. 107 feet stopping , last year...

I'll be driving the car on the dragstrip. Russ - you know how I like boost....

Hey Sean,

Whatcha doing in this neck of the woods.

Which skyline are you going to be driving this event? Is this the one you guys have been building?

Viper and Honda are both fine, although the Honda seems to be non cooperative at the moment.

How was KC this year?

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not Nick , sorry didn't have a signature on my posts. I am preparing his car out at our shop here in Los Angeles.

We have just been checking into our competition for the competition.

Good luck.

Hey Sean, nice to meet you. I assume you will be driving Nick's car for the dragstrip then? Will Nick be driving his car in any of the performance portions of the USCC?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ON a twisty road - the Skyline will kick *** - but at 600rwhp all you need Paolo is good sticky tires and a good 60 footer - you'll spank it silly on the drag strip.

It takes 850hp to get an R33 Skyine into solid 10's without serious lightening - and from that power level on up - they can be a bit suspect doing road race work unless some VERY SERIOUS money is spent. Even at 1000hp their power per weight will be similar to yours - but the lack of torque will slightly offset their AWD advantage... also at 1000hp they are hand grenades - if they can last 2 days of testing I'd be impressed.

At only 600rwhp - it should last if built right - it'll worry you on some things as they drive so well. It's the tight turns that will cause a problem as the AWD catapaults out of them, but you may be able to turn in quicker - so it'll be an interesting match.

You should have him on 0-100mph and 1/4 mile. 0-60 will be close if your tires are really hot and sticky as he'll need to shift - you can choose if you want to or not (are you brave enough to rpm to 60mph in 1st? :p ) by 60mph you'll be pulling him in hard if he got ahead. You may want a tune that will allow you to pull 6200 hard.

My money is on you Paolo!

tyndago

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Sean,

Whatcha doing in this neck of the woods.

Researching the competition. I wanted to know what I was up against. Decide how much , how hard to tune the car. How much boost , and wether to run nitrous or not.

Which skyline are you going to be driving this event? Is this the one you guys have been building?

No this is a different car. One thats been together for a while. Was going to run One Lap , but everything didnt fall into place for One Lap.

Viper and Honda are both fine, although the Honda seems to be non cooperative at the moment.

Will the Honda ever run ? The white R34 that I was building - sold it . Got another one in yesterday to replace it.

How was KC this year?

KC was smaller , still a lot of fun. I flew up to Chicago and then drove down to KC. Hoover came out ran 10.16 @135 still AWD , most everyone else still in the 11's.

tyndago

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ON a twisty road - the Skyline will kick *** - but at 600rwhp all you need Paolo is good sticky tires and a good 60 footer - you'll spank it silly on the drag strip.It takes 850hp to get an R33 Skyine into solid 10's without serious lightening - and from that power level on up -
At only 600rwhp - it should last if built right - it'll worry you on some things as they drive so well. It's the tight turns that will cause a problem as the AWD catapaults out of them, but you may be able to turn in quicker - so it'll be an interesting match.You should have him on 0-100mph and 1/4 mile. 0-60 will be close if your tires are really hot and sticky as he'll need to shift - you can choose if you want to or not (are you brave enough to rpm to 60mph in 1st? :p ) by 60mph you'll be pulling him in hard if he got ahead. You may want a tune that will allow you to pull 6200 hard.

Have you ever built a GT-R ? I have ran 10.71 @ 137 mph in a 3500 + lb R33 GT-R in Palmdale ,CA during an IDRC event. Same event I ran 10.81 @ 132 , and 10.9 @129 . This car made 612 rwhp with a stock motor and direct port nitrous.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0208scc_covercar/index.html

Couple mistakes in there , but that R33 ran 10's with 600 at the wheels.

We are not in Japan , we dont build cars like they do in Japan. This R32 is not built like most cars in Japan . We have a usable torque - not just peak power.

2002 - R33 GT-R Dynoed 440 hp at the wheels - ran 11.99 - 0-60 in 4.11

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0203scc_uscc9/

Faster than the 534 hp Mustang , 509 hp 300ZX , and 507 hp Supra.

2003 - R33 GT-R Dynoed 509 awhp. - ran 11.66 0-60 in 3.86

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/uscc/0303scc_uscc11/

The 540 hp Viper ran 12.2 and 0-60 in 4.6 seconds.

This year we have 608 rwhp. It will be interesting to see what a supercharged Viper will do down the 1/4 mile.

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have you ever built a GT-R ? I have ran 10.71 @ 137 mph in a 3500 + lb R33 GT-R in Palmdale ,CA during an IDRC event. Same event I ran 10.81 @ 132 , and 10.9 @129 . This car made 612 rwhp with a stock motor and direct port nitrous.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0208scc_covercar/index.html

Couple mistakes in there , but that R33 ran 10's with 600 at the wheels.

We are not in Japan , we dont build cars like they do in Japan. This R32 is not built like most cars in Japan . We have a usable torque - not just peak power.

The 540 hp Viper ran 12.2 and 0-60 in 4.6 seconds.

This year we have 608 rwhp. It will be interesting to see what a supercharged Viper will do down the 1/4 mile.

[/QUOTE]

Sean, I am sure the Skyline will kick ass and will be unbeatable in a lot of portions of the test.... You guys have nothing to worry about. I am sure you have it tweaked just fine and have a really juicy torque curve. There are a lot of ways to skin a cat in regards to how you make the power with the turbos nowadays. Don't listen to that torquemonster guy....... LOL! Supercharged Vipers are very traction limited in the 1/4! All SCC USCC counts is the ET anyway.

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ON a twisty road - the Skyline will kick *** - but at 600rwhp all you need Paolo is good sticky tires and a good 60 footer - you'll spank it silly on the drag strip.

It takes 850hp to get an R33 Skyine into solid 10's without serious lightening - and from that power level on up - they can be a bit suspect doing road race work unless some VERY SERIOUS money is spent. Even at 1000hp their power per weight will be similar to yours - but the lack of torque will slightly offset their AWD advantage... also at 1000hp they are hand grenades - if they can last 2 days of testing I'd be impressed.

At only 600rwhp - it should last if built right - it'll worry you on some things as they drive so well. It's the tight turns that will cause a problem as the AWD catapaults out of them, but you may be able to turn in quicker - so it'll be an interesting match.

You should have him on 0-100mph and 1/4 mile. 0-60 will be close if your tires are really hot and sticky as he'll need to shift - you can choose if you want to or not (are you brave enough to rpm to 60mph in 1st? :p ) by 60mph you'll be pulling him in hard if he got ahead. You may want a tune that will allow you to pull 6200 hard.

My money is on you Paolo!

Torquemonster, Thanks for the confidence! What exactly do you mean by " the AWD catapaults out of them"? Do you mean comes out like a mother or are you referring to what I felt in the 2002 AWD Porsche TT where on turn in the front wheels kind of felt like the front diff. was jerking and the power was kind of trying to find its way to a better spot?

You asked me if "are you brave enough to rpm to 60mph in 1st?" ..... I am still very afraid of driving my supercharged car..... It goes very fast in a straight line..... I hope it goes around the corners OK... I am going to get some brake pads that will not make a lot of dust so I do not have to clean them too much before the car show and to help me out with the granny test as well==> That should not compromise the braking too much right? God, I wish I had ABS! There are books on how to use the pedal in the middle right? LOL!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

All I can say is that it looks like it will be an even better competition this year than last, with a beefier Viper, Skyline, and the V12 Ultima GTR among others!

As long as nobody breaks down, it should be great fun for all of the entrants. :D

-Dean.

meggleto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just wanted to say congrats on getting into the contest!

I voted for you and I hope you win big! There's some good competition in the group but I think you have the most well rounded car and should make it a Viper repeat. Hopefully Vipers will keep winning it every year.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sean - lol - nitrous is not what I was referring to. Nitrous builds a lot more torque - but is not to me a real engine mod.... but we won't go there -I know many disagree. It certainly works. Also - 850hp = around 680whp with AWD so if you factor out the nitrous that is exactly what you'd need on boost to run solid 10's as that is what the guys here are running to get those times. We have 2 R32's here running 8's - both use Nitrous on top of 1000hp on boost.

Paolo - catapault - I meant the AWD launches so hard out of the turn. The Skyline I drove had 745ft lb at the wheels and you could nail it on the apex - it would move sideways in a 4 wheel drift about 12" then holeshot out of the turn like it was on a bungy chord.... very dynamic. Very controllable.... if we switched off the AWD solenoid it was too hard to control in rwd only... VERY tail happy! BTW that engine was not the 2.6GTR but a built up RB30 with 2.5 twin cam 24V head - much more torque than the GTR - but less rpms.

With RWD - smoothness is king and the linear boost of the SC will help a lot.

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just wanted to say congrats on getting into the contest!

I voted for you and I hope you win big! There's some good competition in the group but I think you have the most well rounded car and should make it a Viper repeat. Hopefully Vipers will keep winning it every year.

Meggleto, Thanks for the vote and for your confidence! I will do my best to make it a Viper repeat!

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

All I can say is that it looks like it will be an even better competition this year than last, with a beefier Viper, Skyline, and the V12 Ultima GTR among others!

As long as nobody breaks down, it should be great fun for all of the entrants. :D

-Dean.

Dean, I cannot wait to see that Ultima GTR with the V-12. Should be awesome! to me, more of the cars in this year's shootout are really capable of winning the whole thing... Should be interesting!

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Torquemonster, I remember a post from you describing the 4-wheel drift/holeshot phenomenon a while back. It reminds me of my Eagle Talon AWD on the snow in a parking lot! Quite a lot of fun!

tyndago

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sean - lol - nitrous is not what I was referring to. Nitrous builds a lot more torque - but is not to me a real engine mod.... but we won't go there -I know many disagree. It certainly works. Also - 850hp = around 680whp with AWD so if you factor out the nitrous that is exactly what you'd need on boost to run solid 10's as that is what the guys here are running to get those times. We have 2 R32's here running 8's - both use Nitrous on top of 1000hp on boost.

Nitrous is a mod. Yes it builds a ton of torque. When I pass you like you are standing still - you will call it a real engine mod.

Nicks R32 went 11.1 @ 128 , 11.1@ 129 , and 11.3 @ 131 mph in the quarter mile . 608 rwhp at a peak of 1.7 bar of boost. Thats on Pirelli P- Zero Rossos. At high boost I could not give the car full throttle in 1st or 2nd gear.

As far as the two 1000 + cars in NZ. I was born in Christchurch , spent most of my life here in the US. Reece McGreggors (Heat Treatments) car does not have nitrous , but has run I think 8.45 ish on slicks . The Croydon car - driven by Glenn Suckling does run nitrous. It has run 8.69 @ 158 mph on ET Streets. I gave them a small ,little , tiny , bit of advice about nitrous.

I never talk about power at the motor. Thats a cop out number for people that have to have big numbers. I quote dyno figures at the wheels and quarter mile times. You said it would require 850 hp to run 10's . We make 608 rwhp and have run 11.1.... put me on a drag radial - with a 1.6 60 like I was running in Big Bird - and it will run the number.

As far as the Skyline you drove is concerned - R32 - R33 - R34 are all a little different. We have a torque split controller so we can adjust how the car goes into and comes out of corners.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

106 posts and 50 are Paolos.. If you drive like you type... Vipers will rule!!! :laugh:

Good luck man...and be safe.

Gerald

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

106 posts and 50 are Paolos.. If you drive like you type... Vipers will rule!!! :laugh:

Good luck man...and be safe.

Gerald

Gerald, I will drive it like I stole it! This makes #51. I will be posting less and doing some things to get the car ready for the shootout. I have been enjoying responding to all of the people who are pulling for me! This whole thing has been great so far..... I will do my best to bring it home! Thanks again and, you too, be safe!

Paolo

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score

congrats Paolo!!! John told me last week but I never got a chance to say congrats before I left to go back to school. Good luck bro!

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

congrats Paolo!!! John told me last week but I never got a chance to say congrats before I left to go back to school. Good luck bro!

Eric, thanks for the support! Keep on driving the wheels off your car! I will talk to you soon!

repete

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paulo..im excited to see that ur car has made it...i dont post here much but i do read alot (i dont normally post about cars are things that i havent had first hand experience about)..and for the gross display of HP portion...how bout tryin to start a burnout in 3rd or 4th gear....none of those others cars could do it....and from what ive read..you seem to be an avid road racer..and you can drive ur car very well..so as far as i can tell..you do have an advantage

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paulo..im excited to see that ur car has made it...i dont post here much but i do read alot (i dont normally post about cars are things that i havent had first hand experience about)..and for the gross display of HP portion...how bout tryin to start a burnout in 3rd or 4th gear....none of those others cars could do it....and from what ive read..you seem to be an avid road racer..and you can drive ur car very well..so as far as i can tell..you do have an advantage

Repete, thanks for the vote of confidence..... I have some very special things planned for the Gross Display of Horsepower, dont worry!