Sport Compact Car "Ultimate Street Car Challenge" ==> I'm in........

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Sport Compact Car

"The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. And you have burned so very, very brightly."

"I've seen things...you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain......time to die."

"Ah you Nexus huh? I do your eyes!"

And of course,

"My mother? I'll tell you about my mother..."

You must be registered for see images

(thanks for letting me hijack your thread for a bit. ;) )

Nexus, for a Bladerunner quote, anytime, Ridley Scott really did that one right! After all this time it is as fresh as the day it came out. I wanted to skate to that music in the worst way, but my coach would not let me! Sean Young was so unbelievably hot as well!

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Regretfully, I will have to postpone my Maxton mile appearance until the end of October
That's great news for me, as I plan to make the october event at Maxton :D Btw loser buys the booze and hookers I meant strippers ;) Good luck with the utlimate car challenge and take it easy on the road course :) Run the Pilot cups in 345 30 18s, they are softer than the khumos and do believe have better handling rating as well :cool:

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Regretfully, I will have to postpone my Maxton mile appearance until the end of October
That's great news for me, as I plan to make the october event at Maxton :D Btw loser buys the booze and hookers I meant strippers ;) Good luck with the utlimate car challenge and take it easy on the road course :) Run the Pilot cups in 345 30 18s, they are softer than the khumos and do believe have better handling rating as well :cool:

Mike, thank you and you are right on about the Pilot Sport Cups......Or did you mean D-cups? Which do you think is more important? The Y or D rating? LOL! Can you imagine if we could run side by side down the Mile? That would be one hell of a test of ball$! Maybe we could get it on video........I'm in how about you?

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would be in but do you think the event organizers will let that $hit fly?? Maybe we can do some racing while everyone is out to lunch lol ;) it's going to be crazy to have 2000hp going at it, you think we can sell the video or just give it away :D I preffer the D cups myself over the yr :p

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats Paolo,

I voted for both you and Wayne, and I'm glad that you made it into the competition. Your car is easily up to the task, and with some track time and good planning I'm sure that you can win the event!

-Dean.

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paolo regardless of all the in fighting you have made an impression on all viper owners and it shows by all the well wishers. There is no doubt you will represent the viper community, remember the best car does not always win.Therefore win, lose or draw do it with class and no excuses. GOOD LUCK.

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would be in but do you think the event organizers will let that $hit fly?? Maybe we can do some racing while everyone is out to lunch lol ;) it's going to be crazy to have 2000hp going at it, you think we can sell the video or just give it away :D I preffer the D cups myself over the yr :p

Mike, I doubt they would as the risk of two crazy mofos going at it side by side for the whole mile is significantly higher on the order of geometric proportions!

We can give the videos to our friends and SELL it to the street racing punks in the parking lot!

I am with you on the D's though the YR's could be your friend in a much more meaningful way than the D's could probably ever achieve!LOL! ==> It all depends on exactly what you are after!

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats Paolo,

I voted for both you and Wayne, and I'm glad that you made it into the competition. Your car is easily up to the task, and with some track time and good planning I'm sure that you can win the event!

-Dean.

Dean, thanks for the vote and the vote of confidence!

Like I said, I am working a bunch of things to do to the car to maximize my chances and the track time is definitely a must.....I hope someone can get me a video and layout of the track with maybe even some tips on how to drive the course!

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think we all owe Wayne a shoutout for going the extra mile to make sure
the Viper was represented at the contest.
Kudos to Wayne for going the extra mile for Paolo.

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paolo regardless of all the in fighting you have made an impression on all viper owners and it shows by all the well wishers. There is no doubt you will represent the viper community, remember the best car does not always win.Therefore win, lose or draw do it with class and no excuses. GOOD LUCK.

Ron, as usual, your asessment of the situation is right on the money... I am taking all the steps I can think of to do the best I can for myself, the Viper community, and to further the legend of the Viper like I do every time I hit the streets. All the time I have spent on this board for the last 5 years has taught me quite a bit about quite a bit. My goal is to win for sure, but the skating has also taught me about "Win-Lose-Draw"/doing it with style and class and, of course, no excuses! That is the only way to do it==> You are a very wise man! Thank you for such good advice and support!

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paolo, we knew you would make it - one way or another.
What's a dog show without a Pit-bull. Kick@ss

Hugh, I am glad you knew I would make it! I will have to work the "Jaws of Death" theme into preparation somehow! Thank you for your support! I will do my best to bring it on home! :usa:

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Which VCA club is closest to the event,anyone local wanna come out for the event,open to public?.It's SEPT 25,26th (25th is dyno@K&N facility southern CA,26th is Drags @California speedway)

FYI-There's a local guy(in the event)from Chi-town with a Skyline that went 11.1 recently,street radial.
VIPERS IBERALIS(over everything)!

PC,what's the categories?

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ill be in Vegas then, Im going to try my best to drive over and be there (Ill rent a viper while in Vegas, LOL), if you dont mind an extra body in the way

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Paolo,

I remember last year Wayne talking about a very key point being the driver. I have no idea what your experience is on road courses (please don't take this as criticism if you are great), but for something like $500/day you could have Erik Messley drive your car for the road course, braking tests, etc.

Just an idea.

Good luck!

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paolo, congrats I'll probably hit the track one day and visit you. As to tire choice I think Hoosier 3RS03s are the choice. Email PMUM and talk to him about it, he'll give ya good tips.

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paolo,

I remember last year Wayne talking about a very key point being the driver. I have no idea what your experience is on road courses (please don't take this as criticism if you are great), but for something like $500/day you could have Erik Messley drive your car for the road course, braking tests, etc.

Just an idea.

Good luck!

Mike, I do not take honest and good advice as a criticism. This is a very good point. I have a good amount of road course experience and have had some instruction by some good drivers like Ron Adee and some good advice by Erik as well. I have endlessly practiced threshold braking as well. I will be doing some seat time in the Heffner supercharged monster on the road course. I will be driving my car on the road course. If there was anybody I would consider though, it would be Erik Messley... Speaking of Erik, I have tried to get a hold of him several times in the last year and a half and have not succeeded. Maybe you or he can email me his new #. I would greatly appreciate this. Thank you for your input. Thanks again!

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Which VCA club is closest to the event,anyone local wanna come out for the event,open to public?.It's SEPT 25,26th (25th is dyno@K&N facility southern CA,26th is Drags @California speedway)

FYI-There's a local guy(in the event)from Chi-town with a Skyline that went 11.1 recently,street radial.
VIPERS IBERALIS(over everything)!

PC,what's the categories?

TOOFST: I talked to Josh @ Sport Compact Car today and he said there can be no spectators as there is an insurance issue combined with the fact it is their gig and they are developing and selling their product.

Regarding the guy with the skyline, the first thing he ever said to me was how it is too bad Vipers can't hook up! I will have to show him a thing or two!

The categories are as follows:

1. Car show: Cars are judged on appearance alone by a panel of SCC staff.

2. Guru panel: Cars are judged on assembly, cleanliness, workmanship and functionality by a panel of automotive engineers from various aftermarket companies.

3. Peak power: Dyno testing: Points will be awarded for peak power.

4. Power delivery: This measurement will rate usability of the powerband by calculating the area under the torque curve.

5. Emissions test: This test will measure hydrocarbon and CO emissions. Lower is better. NOTE: Emissions testing will take place immediately after dyno testing.

6. Grandma test: Grandma Pauley will ride in each car over a street route of her choice. She will rank cars however she sees fit, but she will probably prefer the more comfortable ones......

7. Driveability test: A qualified expert chosen by the SCC staff will evaluate driveability in a typical urban environment. This non-performance test will be used to gauge a car's street worthiness and will include stop and go driving, parking maneuvers and other typical street-car activities over a short route.

8. Base price: Cars will be awarded points inversely proportional to their MSRP.

==> Anybody know what this was for the 1996 GTS?

9. Fuel economy: Fuel economy will be measured over a preset drive route. directions will be supplied for both competition and support vehicles.

Note: 10 additional points will be awarded to the cars that do the fuel economy test on 91 octane...... I will definitely be able to do this!

10. Skidpad: The SCC hotshoe skidpad driver extrordinaire, Dave Coleman will drive all cars on the skidpad as he has thousands of hours driving on the skidpad.

11. Road Course: This test will begin as a lead and follow session for those who have never seen the track. Each competitor will be given about five laps to produce the quick lap to be used for scoring. The fastest lap will be scored.

12. 0-60: 0-60 will be measured in the 1st part of the 1/4 mile

13. 1/4 mile ET

14. 60-0 braking distance

15. Gross display of HP: Competitors are given 70 seconds to show judges what they've got in a huge parking lot. Tires are unrestricted for this test. Wussing out is unacceptible. Breaking your car is encouraged. Judging will be completely subjective. Don't be a pu$$Y.(These definitions are copied right from the rules/descriptions sent to me!)

Tentative list as of 08/18/2003:

1992 Twin Turbo Acura NSX
2003 Turbocharged Nissan 350Z
2003 Mitsubishi EVO VIII
1996 Supercharged Dodge Viper GTS
2003 BMW powered Ultima GTR
1991 Toyota MR2
1999 Nissan Skyline GT-R
1995 Dodge Stealth
1996 Turbocharged GEO Metro
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ill be in Vegas then, Im going to try my best to drive over and be there (Ill rent a viper while in Vegas, LOL), if you dont mind an extra body in the way

V-10 Mojo, I think they are keeping it closed to everybody except the competitors unfortunately. I am sure I could swing through Vegas on the way home though!

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paolo;

Great news. I was pulling for you all the way. I know you'll do great. The legend grows.

Walt, thanks for your support! How are you liking your Heffner modified beast?
Any kills? Enquiring minds would like to know!

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paolo, congrats I'll probably hit the track one day and visit you. As to tire choice I think Hoosier 3RS03s are the choice. Email PMUM and talk to him about it, he'll give ya good tips.

SoCal, Give me your # and I will call you when I get there. Maybe we can go for a ride on the freeway after the test to blow out the exhaust from not going 200 for a couple of days!

I have emailed PMUM several times to the email listed for him on this board. I have not heard back from him yet. If you could get him to email me, I would appreciate it! I will check into the tires. How do they compare to the Pilot cup sports?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's a very full on test criteria!

I wonder if that Ultima GTR has got the BMW V12 in it :eek: Maclaren used the Ultima to develop their BMW engine in and test re developing their own chassis etc.... those things normally weigh under 2500lbs and can take up to 1000hp. Hopefully this one is naturally aspirated. It'll be one to watch - they have a great chassis for a kitcar... but do they have a great driver? :cool:

Jays_01_GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good Luck Paolo! I still have to meet up with you local guys, we gotta hang out some time.

Jason

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's a very full on test criteria!

I wonder if that Ultima GTR has got the BMW V12 in it :eek: Maclaren used the Ultima to develop their BMW engine in and test re developing their own chassis etc.... those things normally weigh under 2500lbs and can take up to 1000hp. Hopefully this one is naturally aspirated. It'll be one to watch - they have a great chassis for a kitcar... but do they have a great driver? :cool:

Barry, I love the Ultima GTR! It should be one bad mother!

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is it me or is the list of cars like adding up a group of Tootsie Toys and Full Blown Man's Car? Kinda like 'Wheres Paolo' instead of Waldo! What I'm saying is, 'Whats wrong with this picture?' Those guys are going to get Steamrolled.

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is it me or is the list of cars like adding up a group of Tootsie Toys and Full Blown Man's Car? Kinda like 'Wheres Paolo' instead of Waldo! What I'm saying is, 'Whats wrong with this picture?' Those guys are going to get Steamrolled.

JGK, I would like to think you are right, it is never a good thing to underestimate your competition. I think that the twin turbo NSX, BMW powered Ultima GTR(2500# kit car), and the Skyline GT-R are going to be very hard to beat when you consider the parameters of the test. There are probably several other sleeper asp kickers in the mix. I will have to do my best in preparation and driving to win this competition as well as having good luck because anyting can happen and usually does.