Spotted this diffuser/bumper, can it be bought?

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not in the market for one, but I thought this one looked especially unique. Is anyone selling something like this?

You must be registered for see images attach

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well. I can see we are just going to have to debate the use of the term "similar" mister!

Here's the big one from their website. Quite the honker in this view. Or as Dave would say, not similar...

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
W

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well. I can see we are just going to have to debate the use of the term "similar" mister!

Here's the big one from their website. Quite the honker in this view. Or as Dave would say, not similar...

I love the idea of getting a rear diffuser, but that one is just way too big and out of place looking. Now what I would REALLY like is one similar to the 2008 C63 Benz. Now sure how it would really work on the Viper, but it's nice looking, not too outrageous.

Are the Autoform diffusers the only ones out there? If so, could be a good opportunity for someone to fabricate some alternatives.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the idea of getting a rear diffuser, but that one is just way too big and out of place looking. Now what I would REALLY like is one similar to the 2008 C63 Benz. Now sure how it would really work on the Viper, but it's nice looking, not too outrageous.

Are the Autoform diffusers the only ones out there? If so, could be a good opportunity for someone to fabricate some alternatives.

The smaller one they make... I am going to try and see if they have any additional photos of it. Just like the big one looks good via the one photo at their web site, need some info on that small one too.

Am thinking that one could be used to cover the rear exhaust hole when I switch to side exhaust.

I think Elite also has one.

Petite and unobtrusive is not a common description term...

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about using the entire SRT-10 rear diffuser on a GTS? I converted to side exhaust, and the entire rear underbelly is free of exhaust pipe interference..
I'm considering doing this, just need to figure out the best way to mount without tearing up the underside too much..

:usa:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with Dave, those are NOT similar.
Also, the Autoform diffuser is butt-ugly.

I have been trying to come up with a nice looking, yet somewhat functional diffuser that can be mounted with as little drilling as possible.
I'm thinking of doing it in carbon fiber, but it would be easy to do FRP as well to cut cost.
We just need to come up with a winning design and I'll start making and selling them :headbang:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the the rear diffuser 'fins' from an SRT. I didn't need to use the CF panel that the fins attach to. (The CF panel attaches to car)
One added bonus, the diffuser funnels the air straight back and your rear bumper stays a lot cleaner
Home_finally_014.jpg

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake,
Yours is the only one that looks good and not like some abomination stuck on the rear like an afterthought. Well done!

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake,
Yours is the only one that looks good and not like some abomination stuck on the rear like an afterthought. Well done!

Thanks. A good friend of mine, Paul Mahacek took his time and cut holes for the tabs and fasteners to attach to like the srt panel does. Those are 1/4 inch abs pop rivets. They don't move or flex. My front splitter is attached with the same rivets. The adavantage to using these poprivets is that the rivet shaft will break if (when) you hit something instead of the splitter or rear diffuser. Another one of Paul's good ideas

Unfortunately, or maybe I should say fortunately, I have witnessed this...

rear_diffuser_005.jpg

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last one...promise. Beside the function of the diffusers, I think they make the car look lower IMO
Car_fall_color_nov_07_019.jpg

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a pic of a diffuser that Wolf used to make a few years ago. He made a couple of sets of CF side splitters, front splitter, and rear diffusers.

http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/10125diffusermountedcloseupprofile.JPG
This is the one I have. Solid CF and very light. Bought in 2004 for $1040.00 and uses the factory rear facia fastners. Pre drilled too. Call Kevin Lee at 972 889 2852 (if still a working no. ?) Rear wing from Roe Racing. Not too fond of the Auto Form wing either.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake, your setup looks awesome.
If I can't find a way to make a nice-looking CF diffuser I'll just copy what you did with the SRT pieces.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure the larger splitters are worth the money but I paid $300 for a new SRT diffuser panel and 4 attached fins... I have another diffuser panel with fins that I am going to modify and place on the back of my 06 Street Serpent. These will be in addition to the four that are already there.

I got both panels from Mike at XVIPERS. He told me last week that he was making the fins out of billet and also CF. Not sure how that is going...

MADDMAXS57

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottlefed,

Here's the link in the members pics that show alot more pics. The closeup pics of the small diffuser are on page 2 and 3.

ViperClub Photo Gallery - Gallery

I bought his complete CF package with the front splitter, side splitters, and small rear diffuser shown in the previous pic. They all bolt on to stock mounting points, are true Carbon fiber, excellet construction although I had to add front adjustable mounts like on the ALMS cars to make the front splitter functional.

If you check out my gallery(MADDMAXS) in the members pics you can see them mounted on the car. Car was also featured in VIPER Magazine about two years ago inside back cover.

I might sell all of it if someone is interested.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake,

I agree that those "honkers" if you will do not look quite right, but true function of the rear diffuser comes about by having the flat horizontal plane extend past the rear most projection of the car, usually the bumper in that case. Therefore making it look like a honker or sorts. Also, the width is a factor. The wider it fits the car, the more function it will have.

The SRT diffuser is probably a cross between function and looks. I won't argue that it looks good, but the function of it is probably reduced over what it would be capable of if it was more fugly. The same could be said for putting the SRT fins on a GEN 2. More of a poser mod, but I think they look great from the pics I've seen.

My goal when I build mine is 2-fold. Cover the rear exhaust hole from my side exhaust conversion (priority 1), and a poser mod (priority 1.1). It will likely have some aero function, but not near so as much as the big ones. I'm going to keep mine kind of tame in size when I do it.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The SRT diffuser is probably a cross between function and looks. I won't argue that it looks good, but the function of it is probably reduced over what it would be capable of if it was more fugly. The same could be said for putting the SRT fins on a GEN 2. More of a poser mod, but I think they look great from the pics I've seen."

I would definitely agree with you. After studying exactly how the splitters/diffusers work, the SRT fins are a slight compromise. However, for the street, I prefer a little less "Honkerism".

From what I understand, the splitters don't really start to work until higher speeds, say over 55 mph. That would be over the speed limit...;)

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottlefed,

Here's the link in the members pics that show alot more pics. The closeup pics of the small diffuser are on page 2 and 3.

ViperClub Photo Gallery - Gallery

I bought his complete CF package with the front splitter, side splitters, and small rear diffuser shown in the previous pic. They all bolt on to stock mounting points, are true Carbon fiber, excellet construction although I had to add front adjustable mounts like on the ALMS cars to make the front splitter functional.

If you check out my gallery(MADDMAXS) in the members pics you can see them mounted on the car. Car was also featured in VIPER Magazine about two years ago inside back cover.

I might sell all of it if someone is interested.

Those pics don't look anything like the one you posted on the first page
that one almost looks bigger than the autoform diffuser

I agree with Dave,
I want more of a cosmetic piece than functional
It has to look good first and work well last

michaeltedone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake, your diffuser really looks great.

I would like to see something similar mount to the stock screw locations, although it would need quite a bit of additional material to reach the mounting points and still remain stable.

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
Thanks. A good friend of mine, Paul Mahacek took his time and cut holes for the tabs and fasteners to attach to like the srt panel does. Those are 1/4 inch abs pop rivets. They don't move or flex. My front splitter is attached with the same rivets. The adavantage to using these poprivets is that the rivet shaft will break if (when) you hit something instead of the splitter or rear diffuser. Another one of Paul's good ideas

Unfortunately, or maybe I should say fortunately, I have witnessed this...

rear_diffuser_005.jpg

I would love to add this set up to my Viper! Have Paul duplicate that and I'll buy it ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen