spring startup problems

96GTS232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
start viper at least once a month in winter with no problems. yesterday, tried starting with no luck. jump started it today, but only would stay running with slight gas pedal help. finally, viper started running on it's own. i left car running for a good 20 minutes and shut it down. after an hour or so, tried to restart,you guessed it,no luck. i keep a battery tender on it all winter. i believe battery is 4 years old(previous owner). has anyone gone through this?? read some previous posts;sounds like bad battery or maybe alarm reset. any opinions on what i'm going through?? :curse:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd start with the battery.
Four years old and looking like it's bad?
It probably is bad.
Replace it first.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always been told that when you put a car away for the winter, to let it sit, do not start it. If you think the battery will go dead, then put a tender on it. When spring time comes and you are starting it for the first time, disconnect the coil wire and turn the car over 4 or 5 times to circulate the oil. Connect the wire, start it up and drive. That has been what I have done for all of my cars and have never had a problem starting any car in the spring
PS Also, did you add any fuel additive to keep the gas fresh? Old gas is a bad thing. It turns into gel and smells like lacquer thinner.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always been told that when you put a car away for the winter, to let it sit, do not start it. If you think the battery will go dead, then put a tender on it. When spring time comes and you are starting it for the first time, disconnect the coil wire and turn the car over 4 or 5 times to circulate the oil. Connect the wire, start it up and drive. That has been what I have done for all of my cars and have never had a problem starting any car in the spring
PS Also, did you add any fuel additive to keep the gas fresh? Old gas is a bad thing. It turns into gel and smells like lacquer thinner.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with V10speedlover. My Viper only had 1/4 tank of gas left in from November and ran poor on the way to fill it. Sure enough it is running smooth now. :2tu:

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While the others have valid points, I would go for the battery. Look, it can't hurt. You have to change it within a year anyway. Just get it done now before the season. Won't hurt a thing. I recently changed mine. Follow the "How To" section. Essentially the information is correct in there.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it turn over? If it constantly turns over and doesn't start, disconnect the positive cable under the hood on the drivers side for about 30 seconds. Reconnect the cable and then see if that resolves the problem.

Of course, if it's not even turning over, then follow the advice of the members who replied above and change the battery.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with V10speedlover. My Viper only had 1/4 tank of gas left in from November and ran poor on the way to fill it. Sure enough it is running smooth now. :2tu:

Every year you put your Viper away for the winter....always make sure you have a full tank of gas.

Dave

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Full tank minimizes the amount of air in the tank. Less air equals less condensation in your fuel.

OP
OP

96GTS232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks guys, for your responses. i always put car away with battery tender, full tank of gas and fuel stabilizer. had car serviced by the chuck,"the wizzard", last march('05). battery had plenty of juice at that time. that's why i wasn't leaning towards the obvious. going for new battery this weekend. hopefully, that's all it is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery