SRT Viper Cup in 2013?

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone know?

Looks like the SRT Viper Cup kinda thinned out toward the end of the season.

If they don't come back next year, I wonder how NARRA will fill the gap.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was surprised that a great track like The Glen didnt draw more cars...I also thought you had to commit to the Cup series to get a car...lame.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i kinda think since the x car is and going to be a hasbeen they will kill the vipercup series for these cars and come out with a new series when they build the next acr or x car

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i kinda think since the x car is and going to be a hasbeen they will kill the vipercup series for these cars and come out with a new series when they build the next acr or x car
The next car is already out, it's the GTS-R.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they wont offer that version to the public, they will have a more streetable version or a stripped one like the x car, that would be like ferrari selling a f1 to the public so to speak

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they wont offer that version to the public, they will have a more streetable version or a stripped one like the x car, that would be like ferrari selling a f1 to the public so to speak
or they will just make an ACR and not bother with an X due to having a GTS-R

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a few small biz that rely on the X or R production...id be surprised if they didnt build a GTS-R for customers.
agreeed, If someone has the $$$ to order one, they are building it. SRT would even make $$$ off spares and support.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stay tuned for more information on this subject. Nothing has been decided at this point.

OP
OP
M

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stay tuned for more information on this subject. Nothing has been decided at this point.

Well I hope they come back with NARRA in 2013. I'd much rather see more vipers at the NARRA events than some other slot filler.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agreeed, If someone has the $$$ to order one, they are building it. SRT would even make $$$ off spares and support.

There won't be enough people paying that to make a series out of it. The ACR-X was the best bang for buck race car (per speed) out there by far.

They should just assimilate the existing Viper Cup Series into the GT1,GT2,GT3, GTU races. Can still have a Viper Cup but just not in it's own race, but a class in the GT race. Just give them a Viper Cup Windshield sticker to differentiate. They can add another DE class to fill in the gaps or some other racing groups (open wheel type stuff).

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They should have the 2013 schedule posted before too long. I emailed LisaKay a couple of weeks ago about it to try to get some kind of deal set-up for the GA, AL/TN (and anyone else who wants to come) for the Road Atlanta weekend in 2013. I got an email back that she was out of the country on vacation for a few weeks, but will respond when she gets back. At the bottom, it said if you were inquiring about the 2013 schedule, they plan to release it soon (I can't remember the date). I assume the schedule will list not only the dates and venues, but also the different classes that are running at each. That should give us our answer to the Viper Cup standings.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted on their facebook page and was told it would be by PRI for sure, which starts Nov 29th

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be at PRI myself and it may be out just before that.

Steve, Thanks, actually it was back to back to back. This was my fourth championship in the last five years in GT-2. Next year I'm moving up to GT-1 where I can again play well with others. It was no fun this year having to run a 30% restrictor plate.

Steve
USGT #007

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The GTS-R shares almost no parts with the production viper.

Oh, it looks like one, but it is a hand built beast from the frame up.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Correct, but if you buy one where do you think they make you order parts/spares from? I doubt you'd be able to deal directly with Riley.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Disagree, GT is a production based class and the frame has to be production (reinforced). Remember this class is based on GT2 not GT1. The dimensions, pickup points etc are per rules to be in line with the production model. There are no tube frames in gt class. The body shape and wheelbase are also the same with allowance for fender flares for wider tires needed for endurance racing.

It doesnt share much other than the chassis and the engine dna though. The rest are race parts vs street parts. But this is not a one off chassis built by Riley. SRT sends Chassis to Riley for modification, I think the Vettes do the same.

The competitiveness of the gts-r in such short order bodes well for the production car.

I will be at PRI myself and it may be out just before that.

Steve, Thanks, actually it was back to back to back. This was my fourth championship in the last five years in GT-2. Next year I'm moving up to GT-1 where I can again play well with others. It was no fun this year having to run a 30% restrictor plate.

Steve
USGT #007

Yeah, I should have been more clear, they said by as in prior to PRI. So probably in the next two weeks or so.

I'm hoping for that COTA event. Want to TT there.

Last edited:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im thinking the new race viper that srt built is a ton of dollars, they wont offer anything close to that for the sheeple. period... period.... and period.....

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree. Unless you are mega millions and racing it in Euro Lemans Series, or GT AM class. And even if you do get one, it will be missing many of the secrets. The GTS-R is not a Porsche Cup Car mass produced spec vehicle for sure.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would anyone think that a race version of the SRT Viper is out of the realm of possibility? How difficult would it be for SRT to produce a SRT-X for the club racers like the ACR-X? As for the GTS-R, why not a Comp Coupe style version of the SRT for the serious racers? Is the GTS-R really that much more advanced than a CC?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would anyone think that a race version of the SRT Viper is out of the realm of possibility? How difficult would it be for SRT to produce a SRT-X for the club racers like the ACR-X? As for the GTS-R, why not a Comp Coupe style version of the SRT for the serious racers? Is the GTS-R really that much more advanced than a CC?
oh yes its advanced big time, but yes they can offer a srt x just like the acr x, wich if they come out with a non vin car, thats what it will be, the gts-r car viper has now is super top secret hidden stuff you cant see. imo- there is a mound of stuff on there they dont want us to see or know about. imo- dont blame em either(legal secrets)

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^Exactly^^

A GTS-R is FAR more advanced than a ACR-X. Much faster with significantly less hp = much more money.

There will be a Gen V ACR, and if anything, a Gen V ACR-X. But it will be nothing like the GTS-R. It will be an ACR with safety and endurance racing upgrades like the current X. Not a car built to FIA specifications for GT2. That's very much overkill anyways. For the money it would cost to have Pratt and Miller build them, there is no market for it unless you are a Gentleman racer for ALMS, in which case most of them use outdated used models so they would probably buy the old cars from SRT when they upgrade, not build new ones.

SRT has the right formula already, just make a race ready, budget friendly spec car. Called an ACR-X.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear the Gen V frame is basically the same as Gen IV, so I think they could put the current ACRX drivetrain in the new GTS-R style car (minus some of the more expensive bells and whistles). It doesn't need high tech bits, titanium drive shafts and hand built suspension parts...just gut it, add a race seat and wheel, some aero parts, wheels, brakes, cage, fuel cell, etc...sell it for whatever it costs to build.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would they do that, when they can just leave out the interior on the new ACR, add cage, fire suppression, window net etc. with some slicks and go racing? Just like they did before? It's totally impractical to make a faux GTS-R vs a Gen V ACR-X which will likely already look pretty similar and cost a ton cheaper.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456