Standalone engine management

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had someone call me today to ask about testing an AEM stand alone computer on my car. He told me that it was under development. This person works on vettes and Camaroes as well as other normal cars. I am worried about doing it and blowing my engine or something. I think I may wait until it is tested some more.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron, the VEC2 works with the stock PCM, but appears to have more capabilities than any other "piggyback" system out there.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how could it blow an engine? it may make it run stupid, but i think you're safe from blowing it, unless it has a mechanical lever on the crank and one hell of an air pump.

ignorant opine.....maybe......but i wouldn't think it possible.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had someone call me today to ask about testing an AEM stand alone computer on my car. He told me that it was under development. This person works on vettes and Camaroes as well as other normal cars. I am worried about doing it and blowing my engine or something. I think I may wait until it is tested some more.

Long as it was setup on your car by a good tuner - should be no problem at all. I'd be wary of installing an untried/unproven "ready to go" one though.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how could it blow an engine? it may make it run stupid, but i think you're safe from blowing it, unless it has a mechanical lever on the crank and one hell of an air pump.

Very, very easy.

Lean it out to the point of detonation, and bump the timming another 10 degrees. And while you are at it move the RPM limit to say 10k :) .

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol :D A/F OF 16:1 and 50 degrees timing at wide open throttle should provide more entertainment than a July 4th fireworks display! I'd like to see a video of that dyno run :cool:

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The production JTEC is completely programmable (unfortunately, not by the general public).

Therein lies one of the primary reasons that most people never seriously consider a late model Mopar for any sort of serious performance platform. The JTEC has been OEM since 1996, but nobody can tune them. What the hell is that all about?

If DCX would get their ******* out of a ***, Mopar Performance would be making good money on performance parts, from I-4 thru V-10 engine families with a good programmable PCM.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean I think what you are saying is why is Chrysler using a speed density engine management system versus a mass airflow system. Doesn't really matter what design of PCM. JTEC, SBEC, NGC, ... same basic problem for performance enhancements. You need to completely remap the system any time you change the volumetric efficiency or burn rate. As Dave alluded that is a BIG task.

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,

I know plenty of cars running speed density that don't need a complete remap on volumetric efficiency changes.. sure, if you change it wildly, you are going to need to, but you will with mass flow as well. For the smaller changes, piggy back does WOT and closed loop does the rest.. for the cars I've seen, this seems to be just as stop-gap a measure on speed density as on mass flow.

Personally, I think it's a bonus not to have a restrictive MAF in your intake. The big bonus would be if you could mess with the tables inside the PCM, like with LS1EDIT.

OP
OP
D

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a post from an engineer at AEM:

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:56 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry guys. We do owe you an update and I'll be happy to do it when I get a few minutes free. The short story is: we have made significant progress recently and we're planning to have a car running on a prototype system within two weeks. We're planning to introduce the Viper system at SEMA this year and have production systems ready sometime before Christmas (barring any unforseen difficulties of course). If I get some time this weekend, I'll try to post some of the details on our progress so far. I think you'll find it interesting .

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, just talked to Scott before this post. He told me some very interesting things about the Viper PCM that I did not know before.

He is working on it full time now, so if things go well we will be driving around with AEM units by new years.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TOUCHE

Or, you could drain all the oil & floor it until it seized?

Very, very easy.

Lean it out to the point of detonation, and bump the timming another 10 degrees. And while you are at it move the RPM limit to say 10k :) .

BoostedV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there an echo in here? How many times have we heard this from every tuner on this board "just around the corner" how long does it really take? and after all this time don't you think something would be availble at a far cheaper cost already? is this system going to finally be EPA legal? (unlike the MoTeC) so that people can honestly drive their cars on the road without having to worry. how many people do you think want to take the chance of running around with an "illegal" car? or is this going to be another "off-road only" project by SVSi.

:confused:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there an echo in here? How many times have we heard this from every tuner on this board "just around the corner" how long does it really take? and after all this time don't you think something would be availble at a far cheaper cost already? is this system going to finally be EPA legal? (unlike the MoTeC) so that people can honestly drive their cars on the road without having to worry. how many people do you think want to take the chance of running around with an "illegal" car? or is this going to be another "off-road only" project by SVSi.

:confused:

Are you serious? :rolleyes:

How long does it really take? Considering AEM is the first company to ever offer a true plug and play ECU, I guess it takes a really long time.

Smog legal FULLY PROGRAMABLE ecu? Even if after all your mods the car does pass emission the box can never be legal.

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over here to get a car with stand-alone legal, we take it to an engineer accredited by our version of the DMV.. he then issues an Engineer's Certificate and it is deemed to be roadworthy, safe and registerable.

However our current emissions laws are, I believe... uh... "you gotta leave the cat on" or something to that effect.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boosted,
you seem to be very knowledgeable about this motec system. In fact you have even offered to help us "motec illerates". What do you bring to the table as far as experience? And what is the m400?

BoostedV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
M-400? As far as I know there is no such thing as the M-400 yet. But motec curantly does offer: M4, M48, and M800 (M880, M1010, M1212).

my experience lies in ECU setup's and mapping for 4,5,6,8,10,12 cyl.s, I also have a great deal of time invested in the Motec ADL and also their Interpreter program.

Over the years I have also become familiar with several other ECU manufactures systems. From Bosch (makes Motec look like a cheap piggy-back), to Autronic, to Accell, to F.A.S.T., to AEM, to Haltech, to Mercury Marine, to LS1 Edit(more software than a system), Ect.

If there is ever anything you might have an issue with wether it be; "what do I do with all this data", or "now I understand all that ... now how do I go faster with what I know", or "help me tune this". feel free to contact me. I can provide references if need be. I will be more than willing to help guide you through it. Or even show you how to get the most out of your system on site.
:cool: