Started using 3M last night!

rsviper94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night I started using the 3M cleaner/wax that everyone is talking about. I wish I knew who the previous owner of my car was so that I could kick him right in the a$$. The swirl marks are terrible, it looks like he took the car through the local gas station brissel car wash at least once a week. I am impressed with the 3M product but I need to go and purchase a buffer because it would take forever by hand. If the car was taken better care of I am sure that the process would be alot easier. I just do not understand how someone could treat such a fine automobile like it was a farm truck, :mad: :mad:

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Porter Cable makes the best random orbital buffer on the market. Get one, and you will wonder how you ever got alone without it. Good luck.

shftn6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car was pretty bad also but I am afraid of the orbital buffers. It was a workout no doubt to do my car but I just did it in small sections only where it needed it.

GENIIGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DON'T use the cleaner wax on the orbital.Start with 3-M Fine Cut rubbing compound on a compound pad,follow that with the 3-M finesse-it for dark colors or 3-M finesse-it for light colors on a polishing pad.Cleaner Wax is for oxidized paint on ****** car's;will not get all swirl mark's off,TRUST me I bought two bottles of it for my black paint and now they're just sitting on the shelf. :2tu:

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spend the $$ and have the car professionally detailed

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red is actually considered a dark color. #M makes a swirl remover specially formulated for dark colored cars.
I don't agree with not using a random orbital with swirl remover.
I use the 3M with an orange FOAM pad from Griots Garage followed by hand removal.
I then use a wax/polish on a red FOAM pad and remove the polish with a microfiber pad on the random orbital.
I get great results. Anyone that has seen my car can attest to the shine and lack of swirl marks.
Check out www.griotsgarage.com

PS I use Meguiars NXT wax now.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm all for saving money, but if the scratches/swirls are really that bad, and the car has been neglected, the only way to remove them is with a ROTARY buffer. They are much more powerful than the ORBITAL buffers, because they generate heat (They spin in a perfect circle and do not oscilate). In the hands of a pro, they are unreal and will remove all swirls. In the hands of an amatuer, you can damage the finish very easily. ORBITAL buffers do not generate heat (since they do oscilate - never sit in the same spot), so damaging your paint ain't gonna happen, unless you use a compound that is not recommended for this purpose.

My advice:

Fork over the doe and get the exterior done by a highly regarded pro that uses a ROTARY buffer - which any Pro worth a nickle uses every day. Expect to spend $100 - ballpark.

Once the car is perfect, you just need to detail once or twice a year with the ORBITAL buffer. This will remove the minor swirls you will obtain from driving, etc... You could learn how to use this no problem, and even used incorrectly will not hurt your paint - assuming you are using a product designed to work with the orbital. Like other have said, purchase the Porter Cable orbital buffer. It is regarded as the best orbital, and many different pads are sold to support your needs.

OP
OP
R

rsviper94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your input, I will continue to research all avenues before doing something that would hurt the finish on the car. The small area that I did by hand is starting to look better so I will work on it again tonight to see how it looks. I had quite a few Captain and Pepsi will doing it last night, less alcohol might be a better outcome :2tu: