Stock 2000 fan and findings afterwards on aftermarket fans...

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well... I just wanted to make this post about my findings on a 2000 and up stock fan vs. 2 of my high performance spal fans.

I was using spal fans because I thought they were pulling more cfm which meant I could cool off my car faster. Well, my car always seemed to run on the warm side of things. I finally got a 2000 stock fan and I saw a dramatic decrease in running temps even in traffic.

There's something that I think Dodge did well was designed the shrouding and fan to help with the cooling. So after nearly $300 of fan testing, I have come to the conclusion, you can't beat the stock 2000 up fans. So before you go spending money on high performance fans, you're better off just going the route of a stock fan and saving yourself the money. By the way the Spal fans are very nice, but just don't seem to work well with the viper.

I am putting a 16" slim line spal fan that I can flip a switch on and help with summer cooling. The fan will go infront of the condensor and shouldn't be restrictive to the radiator. My ron davis radiator is now doing a great job.

I should have listen to Doug Levin when he said that you can't beat a stock fan and I would have saved myself some money!

Just and FYi.

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A fan will pull air from the path of least resistance. A fan that is not properly "shrouded" will pull from around it's own edges, on the engine side of the radiator. The shroud forces air to come into it's flow path thru the radiator itself, and also very importantly pulls (some) air from over the entire surface area of the radiator not just the "circular center". In the game of cooling every little bit helps. Most stock fan shrouds (room permitting) set the actual fan somewhat away from the radiator so that the entire surface can get some flow. I have not looked at our viper's set up but assume it is similar.

What is the word on cooler thermostats for our cars, will the stock computer and sensors be OK with a 180 ?