Strange Battery Behavior....

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First of all, I was not nice to the battery in my Viper this winter, I never did get around to getting a tender, and just put my charger on every couple weeks over the winter to charge it up (slow, 2a charge). In less than 2 weeks it would be drained totally, but would charge up to 100% (according to my "smart" battery charger).

Initiated first fire of the year today, after charging up the battery overnight on 2a trickle charge. Jumped in, turned the key, fired right up. Pulled it out of the garage and let it idle for about 10 minutes, wife wanted to go for a rip so told her to get ready, after another 10 minutes she was still getting it together so I shut the car off. When she finally came out we jumped in, turned the key, and just got one crank, then the familiar "I don't have enough juice" clickity click from the starter.

Gave it a boost from the minivan, threw the boat battery and some jumpers in the trunk just in case, and off we went. Cruised for about 30 minutes, alternator showing around 14a, but when we got home, I pulled it into the garage, turned if off, turned the key to start it again, same thing, one crank and then clickity click from the starter.

No doubt it's the battery, but kinda strange that if I charge it with the charger over night it will hold enough juice to start the car once....

OP
OP
S

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation, thats what I suspected. This will be the first time I've had to pull a wheel to change a battery!