Strange Problem

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ready for this one? I take the car down to the local auto-glass place to replace my windshield. As I leave the parking lot, I notice that the check engine light is on. I go back and they look at my like I have three heads.

As I am going down the road the car stalls at idle and is lurching bewteen 1500-3500 RPMs. I mean really really running rough.

I also notice that the lights on the rear view mirror are both on and won't go off. I disconnected it to be sure that they didn't put it on backward.

It is raining sideways so I am thinking that maybe the plugs or wires are wet. The car has been sitting in the garage since this morning and still the mirror lamps are on and running rough, check engine light lit up.

I did the old 10 times cycle the key to get a code, but nothing. Check engine light is solid, no blinks.

Any clues here guys?

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try unplugging the ECM, and see what happens.

But the best thing would be to get a code reader, and find out what the code is.

$150.00 at any autoparts place.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Electronic control module. Your car's computer. It's located just behind the left front wheel, and it's covered with a black metal box.

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the service manual out. Find references for a PCM but no ECM. This is book is great for somethings, others BLAH!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the service manual out. Find references for a PCM but no ECM. This is book is great for somethings, others BLAH!
Same thing. The car's "computer".
And, Roe makes a code reader for closer to $50.

OLXRAM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Out of curiousity. How long did the car sit at the shop? Maybe they just jumped it before you got it back. Mines run rough a couple of times when i didnt put the battery tender on it for a week and it just took me disconnecting the battery and charging it for 20 minutes and it ran fine. Mine stalled the same way. 96 GTS

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wasn't there for more than three hours. Just had my local gear head tell me it is an 'obvious misfire'. Maybe a random act, who knows..

Really heavy fuel smell as well. Not having much fun in my first full month of Viper ownership.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4