Street-Racing

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BMC Performance:
what is the #1 car that seems to want to run you?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There isn't one. They ALL come after me.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Ever lost a street race?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
If so, what beat you?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A silver/blue 99 ACR

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah Street Racing.....a subject warm to my heart.

However, the real fun of street racing is having something that people literally LAUGH at... something that looks like it has 80HP... something that looks like a Rambler... something like a factory Paxton supercharged 1963 Studebaker Lark!

Now imagine this...

In 1974, my "Red Car" ran about 13.5/106 thru the mufflers w/street tires.

For one summer, it beat EVERY CAR that went to the MAIN HANGOUT, in my area. Corvettes, Chevelles, Road Runners, and so forth all fell to the lowly Studebaker. Further, this car was literally INVISIBLE to the POLICE! Medically speaking, the eyes of a policeman would simply not focus on the Studebaker.

And I can say from experience, you cannot even begin to dream about what it was like unless you did the same thing. And I put anyone to the challenge if they think their car was lower that my Studebaker. I was at THE BOTTOM of the food chain!

Albert, can you imagine the face of the Busa driver something equivalent? Better yet were guys in their cars with their girl-friends. They always used to turn to their girlfriend and say, "Watch me blow this guy's doors in!"

Ah the sweet humiliation!

All I can say, when you beat someone with a Viper - it is no big deal. With the Viper you can't win! You are expected to win and if you don't - the other guy has a real kill to brag about!

In a way, I have turned down street races with the Viper. In my book, what was the point anyway? ... except maybe guys with Corvettes ...they deserve all the humiliation you can muster ...and WHY? Because those wusses would NEVER RUN THE STUDEBAKER - they thought they were better! ...but those that did, FELL!

Obviously, the Studebaker is so old now, it attracts attention.

So what would be the ultimate sleeper nowadays.....

Hummmmmm... How about a super tricked turbocharged 2.3 Pinto?

Actually, a Monte Carlo (even an SS) with a Gran National turbo setup would be a bit surprising. boy those SS's were slugs....

I can't really think of one other that the faceless droves of FWD loads that are out there..... Hey there it is, the ultimate slug, a Saturn!

Yeah, a good running Saturn! "You've got to be kidding...."

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Years ago I dropped a 2.8i V6 into an old Ford Cortina (did you ever have these the US?) looked like an old ******, but I had it geared "just so"...I'd catch 'em up, and then showed 'em what it was all about!

Now I have a Viper (with mods)...I don't even bother! I find it much to my amusement to watch 'em go, and cane it down the road, wheel-spinning. Cracks me up every time that they even try! I can just imagine 'em down the pub:
"Yeah, I smoked a Viper today"
"Yeah, and what else have you been smoking, me lovely?"!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BadDSM:
Although I am considered a little fish, I met up with a 00' or 01' GTS on the highway in Rochester, NY last night.
Here is what I can recall from that brief encounter...

Well, I got off of work to late to make it to the track so I decided to tool around the city a little before heading home...
smile.gif

I cruise 590 south and see a Cyclone merge into traffic..
But despite me wanting to go he just follows..
oh well.. I exit off at 252 and cruise towards RIT..nothing shows so I head down Hylan drive and jump back on 390 North to head home hoping I to find something interesting on that fat 4 lane piece of highway before it splits into 390 North and 590 North.
So Im squirting along at around 75 in the fast lane when I look in my rear view mirror.....Uhoh, about 100 feet back I see a red low slung car with a NACA duct in the center of the hood..none other than a new Viper GTS..he switches from the fast lane into the lane to the right to pass the person who is in front of him..he starts to gain velocity..I immediately drop into third and floor it...go, go, go
I top out third and switch to fourth, 20 psi hits strong (on 100 octane), I look back and the viper has taken notice already and gets into the fast lane maybe 75 feet behind me and he's commin... I look at my tach as I top out 4th gear and switch to fifth at around 125 or so, I look back and he's about 4 feet from my back bumper drafting me and all I can see through his skinny viper windshield is a guy in his late forties early fifties looking at me like "move out of the way son...", I reach for my turn signal stalk at 135 mph and switch to the right hand lane, feeling as though I just reached into my pocket to pull out my lunch money for the school bully....Needless to say this thing blows past me nearly sucking my window out of its already miss-aligned frame..and continues to put about 10-15 car lengths on me while Im putting along at a measly 140... I then get on the brakes hard as we are rapidly approaching the split in the highway...never had brake fade that bad before as I watch the Viper who seems to have no problem doing 130 through the turn and looks like gods personal Matchbox as it sails around the 90 degree sweeper...I follow as best I could and pull off at the exit to 15a as he does. I am two lanes over at the stop light and can taste the stingy smell of race fuel in the air as the baritone V10 burbled through its aftermarket dual exhaust (TNT)...The light goes green and he bangs a left back over the bridge crossing 390 and gets on going back the way he just came....
Ugh, my unblemished street racing record has finally come to and end, and the Predator has become the Prey...but what a way to go out...
smile.gif

Evan Lee
(currently researching a turbo upgrdade) ;)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BadDMS, great story. I grew up in Rochester and your tale took me back to my younger days there.

Do you know the song Rev It On The Red Line? By Foreigner. The lead singer Lou Grammatico (Gramm) grew up in Rochester and it is a song about street racing. There was post asking what song was best for cruising. I don't recall if this song was mentioned.

Boy do I miss Rochester except in the winter of course.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BigJim,

I think you meant "old geezer"

...and I'm with you!

A day doesn't go buy when you'll see me waiving my cane in the air screaming gibberish about "...those young Whipper-Snappers!"

It's time for my medication.....