Streetracing....why?

Reaction score
Suppose I just don't agree with the blanket statement that street racing is "stupid" or that if you street race you're gonna kill someone. It's not always the exact reason why an accident happens.

I do admit that if you are racing in an area with pedestrians is absolutely ******** though, so don't think I'm trying to defend that.

Okay, so you are saying it's OKAY to street race, but only if you determine that it is safe and there are no pedestrians in the area.

Is it legal is your state? Is it legal in any state? Why not?

Reaction score
Chad, I totally respect your choice not to street race. You don't have to defend it at all.
In fact I wish you would stop. Your arguments are weak and your slope is just getting more slippery.
if you don't want to street race, great, but don't judge those who do.

and you think your augument holds weight? is rational?

Let's add any type of activity in place of street racing. and you think its alright, as you say "don't judge those who do".

So its alright for me to go deer hunting in your area, by your house, but only if I don't see anyone around, as you say "but don't judge those who do"

Frankster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A buddy of mine, Joe, likes to mountain climb. I once asked him why he climbs mountains. He said "because they're there".

"But, Joe, what about the risks? You know you could die if something goes wrong".

"Well, there's risk to life...it's just part of the equation. If you worry about risk all the time then you won't be living life to it's fullest. You'll be afraid to do anything. Of course you plan the best that you can but you've got accept some risk or I wouldn't be climbing"

"But what if something happens and you die....who do we blame? Do we blame the government because they let you go on that mountain? I mean, they own the land so shouldn't they be stopping you because you might be a danger to yourself and others? Maybe we should make mountain climbing illegal?

"Well, if government intrudes into every aspect of your life, if they regulate and control every aspect of your behavior then what fun would life be? I might as well sit back in my easy chair at home with a six pack and watch TV"! I'd be safe that way......don't you think?

"You know, there's risk associated with living life......you could be driving down the freeway and the old granny next to you has a blowout, looses control, runs into you and sends you over the median into oncoming traffic. What do you do? I mean, it wasn't her fault. The tire just blew for whatever reason and it caused an accident. You know that this kind of thing can happen at any moment but you choose to accept the risk and drive on the road anyways....don't you"?

I said "well, yes, I know those kinds of things can happen. We're all human beings and can make mistakes. We're not robots you know? But I guess you're right in a way...... we all choose to drive on the roads and we know any number of things can happen despite the best efforts of the government to control things. Life isn't perfect and there's no way you can make it idiot proof. If we choose to drive on public roads then we are accepting the risks. I mean we know the risk is out there yet we choose to drive anyways. One thing I know is you can't make the world idiot proof. Somethings always going to happen no matter how much the government puts you under their thumb.

I can see what you mean though. If we wanted to be perfectly safe the government could require all cars and trucks to be low horsepower and slow accelerating. I mean, why would anyone need fast and dangerous cars like a Camaro, Corvette, Porsch or a Viper? Nobody needs those kinds of cars! You could save allot of lives by making them illegal! Nobody should have that kind of car, you know? I mean, why do you need it? Why would anyone need that kind of car?

I think the government should mandate we all have radar on our cars and trucks so that if an accident is imminent the electronics take control away from you and do what is required to avoid an accident.

Did you know the government alrady has robot aircraft? They have taken the human out of the aircraft and now everything is done by machine. We could do the same for cars and trucks. Let's say we make all cars and trucks with machine control....we take the human decision making process (often faulty) out of the loop and control everything by computer.

That way we won't need to have Vipers, Camaros, Mustangs or any other type of dangerous car. We can have generic vehicles with no steering wheels. The vehicles could be under computer control (computers don't make mistakes) so we would all be safe and have no risk in our lives. Wouldn't that be great? We'd have no more idiots on the road racing, having tire blowouts, running red lights, speeding, breaking down on the freeway, driving while talking, creeping past the stop sign without fully stopping or whatever! We would be perfectly safe!

Wouldn't that be a great world? No more Vipers, Camaros, Porsches, Mustangs, GTO's, Chrysler Hemi's..... We can all have the exact same kind of car while computers drive our vehicles. They could be designed for maximum efficiency and safety. The world could be totaly controlled and you would be totally safe. What do you think? :2tu:

Last edited:

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
street racing > track

I just rarely street race anymore though, the risk of the law is to great and I don't have deep pockets to get myself out of trouble.

Reaction score
A buddy of mine, Joe, likes to mountain climb. I once asked him why he climbs mountains. He said "because they're there".

"But, Joe, what about the risks? You know you could die if something goes wrong".

"Well, there's risk to life...it's just part of the equation. If you worry about risk all the time then you won't be living life to it's fullest. You'll be afraid to do anything. Of course you plan the best that you can but you've got accept some risk or I wouldn't be climbing"

"But what if something happens and you die....who do we blame? Do we blame the government because they let you go on that mountain? I mean, they own the land so shouldn't they be stopping you because you might be a danger to yourself and others? Maybe we should make montain climbing illegal?

There's a difference, mountain climbing is LEGAL. Street racing isn't. We are a country of laws.

"Well, if government intrudes into every aspect of your life, if they regulate and control every aspect of your behavior then what fun would life be? I might as well sit back in my easy chair at home with a six pack and watch TV"! I'd be safe that way......don't you think?

"You know, there's risk associated with living life......you could be driving down the freeway and the old granny next to you has a blowout, looses control, runs into you and sends you over the median into oncoming traffic. What do you do? I mean, it wasn't her fault. The tire just blew for whatever reason and it caused an accident. You know that this kind of thing can happen at any moment but you choose to accept the risk and drive on the road anyways....don't you"?

But granny wasn't street racing was she?

I said "well, yes, I know those kinds of things can happen. We're all human beings and can make mistakes. We're not robots you know? But I guess you're right in a way...... we all choose to drive on the roads and we know any number of things can happen despite the best efforts of the government to control things. Life isn't perfect and there's no way you can make it idiot proof. If we choose to drive on public roads then we are accepting the risks. I mean we know the risk is out there yet we choose to drive anyways. One thing I know is you can't make the world idiot proof. Somethings always going to happen no matter how much the government puts you under their thumb.

I wouldn't want to accept the risk of driving on the highway if everyone was street racing at 150 mph, would you?

I can see what you mean though. If we wanted to be perfectly safe the government could require all cars and trucks to be low horsepower and slow accelerating. I mean, why would anyone need fast and dangerous cars like a Camaro, Corvette, Porsch or a Viper? Nobody needs those kinds of cars! You could save allot of lives by making them illegal! Nobody should have that kind of car, you know? I mean, why do you need it? Why would anyone need that kind of car?

It has nothing to do with horsepower or the type of car, a Camry can go a 100 MPH.

That way we won't need to have Vipers, Camaros, Mustangs or any other type of dangerous car. We can have generic vehicles with no steering wheels. The vehicles could be under computer control (computers don't make mistakes) so we would all be safe and have no risk in our lives. Wouldn't that be great? We'd have no more idiots on the road racing, having tire blowouts, running red lights, speeding, breaking down on the freeway, driving while talking, creeping past the stop sign without fully stopping or whatever! We would be perfectly safe!

We live in a country of laws. Thats why these types of violations are illegal, can you see if they weren't?

Wouldn't that be a great world? No more Vipers, Camaros, Porsches, Mustangs, GTO's, Chrysler Hemi's..... We can all have the exact same kind of car while computers drive our vehicles. They could be designed for maximum efficiency and safety. The world could be totaly controlled and you would be totally safe. What do you think? :2tu:
We are a country of choices, and just because you have a fast car, doesn't mean you can do DARWIN award type stuff.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plead the fifth, but I'll comment that I think it's ******** to drive like a ***** around other cars and traffic,
BUT on the other hand if it's deserted around and you and another guy are lined up, i see nothing wrong with playing around and having a little fun. Just my honest opinion.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My God I wish you lived near Atlanta :D

I do !! :D

Yeah, kinda like those old people that drive 45mph on the freeway, huh?
I don't think any street racer has ever been rear ended by a semi truck :lmao:

I have seen tractor trailers sliding sideways, tires smoking, on the freeway. Believe me, that picture in the rear view mirror is a scary sight. At some point in the past I started to limit the slowness of the starting speed if on a true Interstate...traffic...time of day taken into account.

The consequences these days if you get caught even with no accident is scary.

A fast car is less dangerous (imo) the race is over pretty quick. Some cars take a long time to get to their finish point and a LOT more road to do it. Everyone should have a power adder for safety !!!!!!!! :D

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and you think your augument holds weight? is rational?

Let's add any type of activity in place of street racing. and you think its alright, as you say "don't judge those who do".

So its alright for me to go deer hunting in your area, by your house, but only if I don't see anyone around, as you say "but don't judge those who do"
What??:confused:

did you make a point?

if all that was to ask to come to my house to deer hunt, then yes, you may :2tu:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good posts in this one....

hard to argue with bob and chuck on this as the stats and laws are what they are. id NEVER think less of someone for NOT street racing cause i know its illegal but please everyone stop looking down your noses at me for wanting and LOVING to street race. (not the F&F kind either)

but only going 140mph is very boring to me and the rush you get at 175+ is like nothing else...

I don't think less of you, in fact, you inspire me. :D I find it very difficult to believe anyone here purchased a Viper to sit in trafffic, drive the speed limit and not pass anyone. Yes, we're all a bunch thumb-sucking, law abiding, ****** drivers in our Vipers and don't dare to got WOT, pull up to a Z06 or try to break the sound barrier on the highway every once and a while. Certainly all of the blower installations are for show.

I think its commendable that we remind each other, on occassion, that street-racing is not the smartest thing in the world and is illegal, dangerous and not worth it. You got to pay to play and you're not only gambling with your life but other innocent lives on the road. Yada, yada, yada...soap box.

No matter what kind of dribble anybody posts in this thread, we're beating to death the following:

Street Racing = Bad

That being said, ****, and go out and enjoy your Vipers today as you see fit. :2tu:

Last edited:

belair1957

Viper Owner
Reaction score
of course
revenge and personal justice overrules all moral and social laws

And how does that compare to racing someone at 170mph? At that rate, you cover three miles a minute. If you are doing it at night, you are significantly over-driving the headlights (170mph is about 250ft/sec). You can't possibly see someone around a bend or pulled over changing a flat. If two people are racing at that rate with someone on the shoulder, your margin of error has dropped significantly.

Don't forget that stopping distance on the street isn't the distance reported in magazines. They calculate only braking time. They don't calculate perception time and reaction time.
So you're racing @ 170mph, watching your opponent, your focus is split. If your perception time is 3 seconds (because you've over-driven your lights) and your reaction time is 1 second, you've covered 0.2 miles before touching your brakes.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And how does that compare to racing someone at 170mph? At that rate, you cover three miles a minute. If you are doing it at night, you are significantly over-driving the headlights (170mph is about 250ft/sec). You can't possibly see someone around a bend or pulled over changing a flat. If two people are racing at that rate with someone on the shoulder, your margin of error has dropped significantly.

Don't forget that stopping distance on the street isn't the distance reported in magazines. They calculate only braking time. They don't calculate perception time and reaction time.
So you're racing @ 170mph, watching your opponent, your focus is split. If your perception time is 3 seconds (because you've over-driven your lights) and your reaction time is 1 second, you've covered 0.2 miles before touching your brakes.

good points

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
street racing > track

I just rarely street race anymore though, the risk of the law is to great and I don't have deep pockets to get myself out of trouble.

wow, you sound like me :omg: and my kids are watching :eater:

What??:confused:

did you make a point?

if all that was to ask to come to my house to deer hunt, then yes, you may :2tu:

i referenced this comment also b/c there is a logical flaw whenever someone judges someone else for judging

the deer hunting invite was funny :2tu:

I don't think less of you, in fact, you inspire me. :D I find it very difficult to believe anyone here purchased a Viper to sit in trafffic, drive the speed limit and not pass anyone. Yes, we're all a bunch thumb-sucking, law abiding, ****** drivers in our Vipers and don't dare to got WOT, pull up to a Z06 or try to break the sound barrier on the highway every once and a while. Certainly all of the blower installations are for show.

I think its commendable that we remind each other, on occassion, that street-racing is not the smartest thing in the world and is illegal, dangerous and not worth it. You got to pay to play and you're not only gambling with your life but other innocent lives on the road. Yada, yada, yada...soap box.

No matter what kind of dribble anybody posts in this thread, we're beating to death the following:

Street Racing = Bad

That being said, ****, and go out and enjoy your Vipers today as you see fit. :2tu:

well said .... styling and all that torque --> :drive:

:drive: chevron 93 $1.949 last night :headbang:

:nono: (just remembered the multi-quote function)

Abe Froman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As you get a little longer in the tooth you will realize what other’s (Outside of your family) think of you means little to nothing!!
I enjoy watching the faces of those who want to race and I tell them that “My car’s not fast enough to beat yours, you win!! Have a great day” That ****** them off more then losing a race..

Reaction score
First, I wish everyone would stop using Nick as the poster boy for street racing. He's going through enough and there are plenty here who could be sitting in his shoes if not for a little luck (based on those who street race).

Last week, I pulled out onto I-95 in Cape Canaveral, I hit the throttle to merge and jumped a 911 to get past a slow dump truck. I noticed he was "racing" a GT Mustang. As I dove back into the right lane and settled to let these two go racing by, the 911 slowed next to me then hit it, the GT Mustang pulled in behind me. YES, he hit the lights and pulled ME over!! :omg: The cop told me he had something set up for the 911 further up the road but wanted to get me out of a possible race situation. He said the Viper was too nice to end up smacked up or impounded. Needless to say, my philosphy of no street racing saved me a big fine and my Viper. :headbang:

You guys out in Nevada, Utah and the like with wide open straights that go for miles and with little or no traffic...it's your world do what you like...just don't complain when you've lost everything proving your car is faster for what might be 3 minutes of adrenaline rush trying to beat some careless idiot who had to test his luck.

Yeah, I go fast but racing takes skill, not just luck of who's got less traffic or less fuel in the tank when you shred rubber at the local red light.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As you get a little longer in the tooth you will realize what other’s (Outside of your family) think of you means little to nothing!!
I enjoy watching the faces of those who want to race and I tell them that “My car’s not fast enough to beat yours, you win!! Have a great day” That ****** them off more then losing a race..

Abe, psl don't get mad if in the future someone posts about how a guy in a Viper said “My car’s not fast enough to beat yours, you win!! Have a great day” as i plan on stealing your line. :D

thanks

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, I wish everyone would stop using Nick as the poster boy for street racing. He's going through enough and there are plenty here who could be sitting in his shoes if not for a little luck (based on those who street race).

No probably not, he's an idiot that dosen;t know how to drive. How many vechicles has this kid wrecked already, the answer ... A LOT! Every time i turn around he's wrecked another awesome car, he needs to be driving a mini van because he obviously can not handle a high performance vehicle.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So. Let's see. The consensus is that if you live in the middle of BFE and have no moral objections or children of either your descent or maybe from otherwise and if no one is around or if you have some money to spend or if you get caught and someone catches you then you should maybe not race unless it is light and the math works except at night when it is dark when you should never race but if it is flat and you can see then don't do it for the corner ahead but grandma in her minivan will stop you if she can see you so go slow but you'll never see the bus and if your tire blows on the shoulder you'll stop but will everyone else see you racing so it would be wise not if you can't and then you get busted for racing so if you have some money you get out but your car gets towed and then you spend more money to get the car out and if you watch on TV people get wrecked but if you don't get caught and you live in the desert it's OK right?

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, there's a flaw in your logic here. First off, I doubt people race up to 170mph that often. Secondly, people don't CRUISE at 170mph. Once people hit a set speed, or one car is clearly pulling away from the other, they let off.

These vehicles we have were BUILT to go these speeds. Which means.....they are stable, have ample braking, don't take too awfully long to get there, etc. Yes, some REALLY BAD stuff can happen at very high speeds, but the chances are very minimal.

It's like trying to say if lightning was twice as powerful, it'd be "more dangerous"

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do !! :D

I have seen tractor trailers sliding sideways, tires smoking, on the freeway. Believe me, that picture in the rear view mirror is a scary sight. At some point in the past I started to limit the slowness of the starting speed if on a true Interstate...traffic...time of day taken into account.

The consequences these days if you get caught even with no accident is scary.

A fast car is less dangerous (imo) the race is over pretty quick. Some cars take a long time to get to their finish point and a LOT more road to do it. Everyone should have a power adder for safety !!!!!!!! :D

Ha ha, we should get together sometime. Not to street race, just cruise around. There's another guy from the board here that I try to meet up with from time to time to go ride around, waste gas, and enjoy our cars :2tu:

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, so you are saying it's OKAY to street race, but only if you determine that it is safe and there are no pedestrians in the area.

Is it legal is your state? Is it legal in any state? Why not?

I think it's ok for people to do whatever the hell they want, as long as they're not hurting others.

No, racing on the street is not legal in my state, nor any other that I am aware of. It has more strict punishments than other violations that have proven to cost far more lives on a yearly basis. As someone posted before, it's a very easy thing to attack because of how outlandish some of the stories and situations are around it. Just saying the words "150 miles per hour" strikes fear in the hearts of most people in this country.

The issue isn't street racing, it's stupidity. If people are smart, they won't do something like this in an area where other people could get involved. The problem is, you have too many (usually young) people who want to show off, or be "extreme," or act like they're in Fast and the Furious or something, and race their cars in populated areas and/or get their econobox cars with turbos and nitrous on them up to WAY higher speeds than they were ever meant to go.

belair1957

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, there's a flaw in your logic here. First off, I doubt people race up to 170mph that often. Secondly, people don't CRUISE at 170mph. Once people hit a set speed, or one car is clearly pulling away from the other, they let off.

These vehicles we have were BUILT to go these speeds. Which means.....they are stable, have ample braking, don't take too awfully long to get there, etc. Yes, some REALLY BAD stuff can happen at very high speeds, but the chances are very minimal.

It's like trying to say if lightning was twice as powerful, it'd be "more dangerous"

I think you're purposefully missing the point.

The 170 mph was mentioned by another poster. I merely used it in the example. Your positions rely upon several assumptions as did the street racer's position (the road would be clear). You're assuming that someone will back off, the car will perform as designed and that the road will be clear and in good condition. Three assumptions combined with uncontrolled conditions (street v track) does equal more dangerous.

If you are risking your own life, fine have at it.

Seems like a Viper Days event would make more sense.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So. Let's see. The consensus is that if you live in the middle of BFE and have no moral objections or children of either your descent or maybe from otherwise and if no one is around or if you have some money to spend or if you get caught and someone catches you then you should maybe not race unless it is light and the math works except at night when it is dark when you should never race but if it is flat and you can see then don't do it for the corner ahead but grandma in her minivan will stop you if she can see you so go slow but you'll never see the bus and if your tire blows on the shoulder you'll stop but will everyone else see you racing so it would be wise not if you can't and then you get busted for racing so if you have some money you get out but your car gets towed and then you spend more money to get the car out and if you watch on TV people get wrecked but if you don't get caught and you live in the desert it's OK right?
I think you summed up this whole thread very well Dave.

Why are we discussing this again??
:dunno:

oh, yeah, Chad wanted to know if he's a pu$$y for not racing a Mustang.
No, Chad, you're fine, just keep posting up those pics of ******* girls on your car:beer:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang