Stripe Decision...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all who voted and commented in the polls. :)

Interestingly, a new combination was developed by Austin during the poll. He took two popular ideas (GTS blue & black/red combo) and put the ideas together. He created a black/blue combo stripe!

Three issues now...
- Can a double stripe be done in vinyl?
- Can I find someone in my area that can handle this?
- Should I take the striping all the way down the back or stop on the top of the trunk deck?

Here it is:

blackandblue.jpg

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to throw a wrench in the stripe, but what about making the stripe GTS blue and outline both sides in black like a Vooodoo ACR stripe.

Bruce

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to throw a wrench in the stripe, but what about making the stripe GTS blue and outline both sides in black like a Vooodoo ACR stripe.

Bruce

Dont listen to him...he is NOT an authority of blue/black! :lmao:

Only kidding of course :)

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you painting your lower rear fascia black?

Hank... Yes, I am think about that but I am not sure. On the fence? Your thoughts???

BlknBlu, I thought of that as Austin did make that stripe for me in black & red. I personally like how exoctic and unique the double stipe black & blue looks with the black being slightly bigger.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice, bring it down all the way in the back, and painting the calipers blue is a must.
How about widening this single stripe just a bit more towards the headlight and finish it with a very thin red pinstripe on that side ? Looking at your front bumper pic, I can see a bit of the red pinstripe effect and it add a unique touch. Just my .02

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice, bring it down all the way in the back, and painting the calipers blue is a must.
How about widening this single stripe just a bit more towards the headlight and finish it with a very thin red pinstripe on that side ? Looking at your front bumper pic, I can see a bit of the red pinstripe effect and it add a unique touch. Just my .02

I see the red you mention. Interesting... Will consider it. If I can find a vinyl guy to do the double stripe, I am sure he could easily add a thin red one (even just lay in on the car for a look).

I am planning on painting the calipers, emblems, and the dash GTS Blue to carry the color throughout the car.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George, Austin worked on a PS of a black stripe with thinner red stripes on either side yesterday (reverse voodoo), maybe he'll post it? I thought it looked really good :2tu: Then you could paint your calipers red and emblems black, and a little CF would work well. Decisions...Decisions :)

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a thin red stripe on my car. That you can do yourself and since it is vinyl you can easily remove it.

Bruce

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
isnt this the 3rd thread for stripes on this car....LOL

Yes... Explanation (I know you are joking...;)), the first was a poll of some ideas. Then Austin & others came up with other great ideas, so I had a new poll to include those. Several people PM'd me and posted to the thread they wanted to know what my decision was, hence this thread. I actually think the threads have given several people ideas for their car.

Also, this thread is searching for ideas on whether to go all the way down the back and whether or not it is really possible to do in vinyl considering the shape of the trunk lid... I was told by one shop (probably rookies) that they could not do vinyl down the back because the curves of the trunk lid. They said it would be like wrapping a football. I wonder if anyone else has had vinyl done on a Gen 3 or 4 vert and taken that down all the way??? :dunno: Sorry for the repetitive redundancy... :lmao:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do vinyl to make sure you really like it and if you can/want to live with it, then paint them on.

there a SRT's that have been wrapped so it can be done for sure

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
boring and gonna be LOOOOOOOONG apparently...lol

New poll threads coming - "what color should i paint my calipers?" "what color should i paint my dash bezel?" "what color should i cover my steering wheel in leather?". "what color should i cover my shifter in leather?".

stay tuned.

:lmao:

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New poll threads coming - "what color should i paint my calipers?" "what color should i paint my dash bezel?" "what color should i cover my steering wheel in leather?". "what color should i cover my shifter in leather?".

stay tuned.

:lmao:

Crap, Italian, you beat me to the punch. And, yes, it is boring in Ilinois in the winter espcially since I don't drink much anymore... :crazy2: By the way, what color should I recover my seats in??? LOL

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was exactly what I was thinking in regards to the thin red pinstripe.

....and finish it with a very thin red pinstripe on that side ? Looking at your front bumper pic, I can see a bit of the red pinstripe effect and it add a unique touch. Just my .02

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are already going custom on the stripe, why not make it truly custom? My opinion is a black wide strip down the middle of the car with two blue stripes 1/2 the width of the black on either side, similar to the old Shelby Super Snakes. Total width should not be wider than the rear licence plate area in in the hatch. No widening stripes effect, just straight all the way.

Vinyl through the wing area will get difficult as you will need to paint the rear stalks on the one side of that rear wing. Vinyling that will be difficult and not sure how that will look afterwards. Carrying the driver's stripe down the back makes it really look added on and having seen some cars that have a stripe down the back like Gasman's pumpkin ACR (no offense John), but it has a weird look and looks out of place. Then again his back area was black so it really stood out. A Silver back may not look that way.

If you consider something down the middle, you can carry that through the car easy with the center dash pieces. This way if you ever sell it, you pull the vinyl off the outside and replace the center pieces inside. Back to stock in a few minutes.

Juts a thought though. I do like the blue black/driver's stripe you came up with. It is calssy, just not sure how vinyl will work and look when added. It is not like painting.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The thin red stripe you see wasnt intentional. That was do to me rushing the PS.

George, Austin worked on a PS of a black stripe with thinner red stripes on either side yesterday (reverse voodoo), maybe he'll post it? I thought it looked really good :2tu: Then you could paint your calipers red and emblems black, and a little CF would work well. Decisions...Decisions :)

I PM'd Paul the pic. I thought he would have posted it.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I like the idea, I think the black/GTS Blue stripe combo is the most exotic without being crazy wild like the orange stripe in my other thread.

The larger middle stripe with a smaller "outline" type stripe on each side has been done many times over the years on various cars (however, not on the driver's side). I am looking for a new and unique (yet classy) look. I always thought the ACR single stripe was very unique, and with the addition of another stripe next to it that is slightly smaller Austin has created a very cool look. :)

I hope it can be done in vinyl...

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George;

Either way, I think you will be okay as the decisions are between better or best. You can't go wrong.

As far as my idea for a Super Snake type of stripes, I am not talking about a small pin stripe on either side of the center stripe. or on either side of two center stripes as those have been done to death out there. I have NEVER seen a Viper to date with the supersnake kind of stripe I proposed. Take a look at the 1967 Shelby Supersnake and you will understand what I suggested. There is not one out there like that.

Regardless of what you decide, it should look good.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ColoViper, Thanks. Which one are you referring to:

shelby_cobra1.jpg

cobra_21.jpg

George;

Either way, I think you will be okay as the decisions are between better or best. You can't go wrong.

As far as my idea for a Super Snake type of stripes, I am not talking about a small pin stripe on either side of the center stripe. or on either side of two center stripes as those have been done to death out there. I have NEVER seen a Viper to date with the supersnake kind of stripe I proposed. Take a look at the 1967 Shelby Supersnake and you will understand what I suggested. There is not one out there like that.

Regardless of what you decide, it should look good.

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should I take the striping all the way down the back or stop on the top of the trunk deck?

Easiest answer is: Get it done in vinyl, and have it stop at the top of the trunk deck. Live with it that way a week or twelve, and then have the rest applied all the way down the back. That way you can take it off yourself if you don't like it.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George;

It is kind of like that first Eleanor pic you posted but the center strip is a little thinner, there is more space between that and the side stripes. The size of the side stripes are correct for the most part but that is the general idea.

Stripes are a very interesting science as there is a perfect width for every car, at some point they just have the correct width, etc. Too thin and they look weak, to wide and they overbear.

If that is a look you might go for, the widths are easy to determine. Just get out some painters tape or something that goes on easy and then pulls off easy with no residue, then start putting them on the car. When you get to the pojnt, you like the widths, etc. measure and map them out. Then the painter has his plan laid out for him and you get what you want.

Remember this is just a suggestion and a thought.

BTW That second picture of the Cobra is just sick. Wow! Sportin' wood after looking at that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten