Stripe Removal

WilBriK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I realize this is sacrilege, but how difficult is it to remove the stripes from a 1996 RT/10?

I do like the stripes, but I think I'd like the overall look of the car more without them.

Does a paint and body shop need to do it, or do I just peel up a corner and start pulling, like removing a gigantic band-aid?

Thanks

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if its vinyl using a hairdryer as you go along will help,
then you will need a cleaner to remove any left over adhesive residue

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I realize this is sacrilege, but how difficult is it to remove the stripes from a 1996 RT/10?

I do like the stripes, but I think I'd like the overall look of the car more without them.

Does a paint and body shop need to do it, or do I just peel up a corner and start pulling, like removing a gigantic band-aid?

Thanks

Yes it is sacrilegis, but your obviously not a gof feraing man so go for it if it makes you happy. However you better check with a pro to find out if there was a shot of clear coat over it as well.

Adam

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hairdryer heat will help. But as previously mentioned make sure there isn't clear over it and remember to replace them is HUGE money.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more thing....the paint may be discolored where the stripes were...and it may be very obivous once they are removed. I know that vinyl stripes, while removeable..sometimes slightly lift or discolor the paint beneath. Or...the rest of the paint fades slightly.

I think once they are removed you will still see where they were...that would be worse than having them on.

Flyin Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to have the stripes put onto the Mopar spoiler on my '96. The stripes themselves were way too expensive but I thought it was the correct solution. When they didn't work well due to the contours of the spoiler, they pulled off quite easily and in a single piece. Of course, this was without any clear coa, and you should expect clear coat to have been applied over your '96 stripes. If you decide to replace them in the future, you'll be better off just painting them on instead of buying an DC stripes (if they're even available).

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 96 was the ONLY year they cleared over the stripes. You will have to repaint after you take them off with a sander/grinder. LEAVE THEM ON! Very unique year, don't change a thing. Blue or silver stripes?

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flyin Phil,

I have the same car as you and I want to stripe my hardtop with the correct blue and width. Where did you get your stripes at?

Thanks!

Flyin Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not striped my hardtop yet. My local body shop procured the trunk stripes to be used on the Mopar wing. They were something in the range of $260. Mopar did not make a roof stripe. However, to get a hood stripe that would fit the roof was priced around $500 !!! I'm going to have mine painted.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other option is to have it paint matched (I tried to do vinyl on the spoiler like Flyin Phil, ran into the same problem. Paint matched perfectly.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other option is to have it paint matched (I tried to do vinyl on the spoiler like Flyin Phil, ran into the same problem. Paint matched perfectly.

Had my mopar spoiler and mopar top painted and it looks perfect. Don't go any other way than paint..

207018_18-med.jpg

207019_19-med.JPG

207017_17-med.jpg