Striped Cars

Reaction score
I would venture to guess it is a cost savings for them and the stripes though the panel are a B**** to get straight and buffed in th tight quarters.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the stripes though the panel are a B**** to get straight and buffed in the tight quarters.

what he said.

Prefix stripes vipers using templates, that way all the cars are all uniform. i would also guess that making a template for the lower rear panel, taping off this area and proper sanding of same area would be a real PITA.

in my website, you will find alot of pictures from our tour at Prefix. many of these pics show the templates i speak of and how they are used on the hood and nose areas. hopefully this helps.

go here: Dodge Viper Historical Society Photo Gallery - Prefix Tour Jan 08

OP
OP
S

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a person had a car that was being striped, Is there someone at Prefix that we could talk to so they would leave the panel body colour and just stripe to the top of that panel, That way you have a factory colour match and you could choose to stripe the lower portion myself.:D

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure you could arrange with Prefix to paint the lower portion to your specifications for a price.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
some people have bought vipers, then taken them to Prefix for their own mods. you could prob do that - buy a non-striped car car, take delivery of it, then take it to Prefix and pay for whatever you want them to do.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would venture to guess it is a cost savings for them and the stripes though the panel are a B**** to get straight and buffed in th tight quarters.

Not a good theory as the '05 Commemorative's stripes stop at the trunk lid yet the rear fascia panel is still painted black.

Last edited:

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am sure you could arrange with Prefix to paint the lower portion to your specifications for a price.

Absolutely. As they stated during my tour, they prefer to do private jobs because quality of the "factory stripes" are limited by the factory budget. A private Prefix job will cost more because they'll do it just like you want and the stripes will be buried in clear coat. Factory stripes are raised because the budget won't allow for anything else.