Sub Woofer Upgrade and Sound Deadening for 2001 GTS - PICS

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is a poser mod by adding precious weight to a viper, but I like to cruise and with close to 500 horsepower on tap I'm not worried about adding a little poundage. If you like to hear your stereo and cruise in your GTS I recommend this mod.

I just upgraded my 2001 GTS with JL Audio 6.5" 4-ohm Woofers and B-quiet sound deadening material in the hatch area. This mod has transformed the sound system. The Woofers are a direct fit into the sub boxes, even the screw holes line up.

I now get good deep base and the sound deadening quiets the interior to the point where you can appreciate your stereo. Not quite Lexus like by any means, but I will enjoy my longer trips in the viper much more!

I've included some pics. See below....

This is the hatch area gutted:
7472DSC01627-med.JPG

Here is another picture of the gutted hatch area:
7472DSC01628-med.JPG

Here is after 3 hours of applying b-quiet extreme sound deadening material:
7472DSC01629-med.JPG

Here is the next day and a very sore back, but all the b-quiet is installed:
7472DSC01631-med.JPG

Here are the new JL audio subs installed....NICE! Now I'm ready for the Cruise to Tator's!!!! Of course I need to put the carpeting and trim back, but no sweat with that.

7472DSC01633-med.JPG

OP
OP
J

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The JL 6w0 subs fit right into the fiberglass boxes that the stock speakers are mounted to. I kept the stock amp and front speakes and head unit.

I think the front mids and tweeters are pretty good, but the stock subs just sounded muffled with no punch. With the JL's there is a good amount of punch and better lower mid-range so the total sound is much better.

I'm happy with this mod. At this point I don't think I will replace any other component in the system.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like to keep the stock head units but a little more hit would be nice. Did you think of up grading the stock amp so it could stay in the same space? I likr the truck space and spare tire.

I have a system I took out of my BMW. MB Quarts speakers with Boston sub woofer and xtant amp. But I don't trust anybody to put it into the Viper and don't have the time myself.

OP
OP
J

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't say this for sure, but from what I understand, there is no wiring harness conversion kit for the amplifier. So if you bought a new amplifier you would have to cut the old plugs and splice the new amp into the wires. Maybe someone on the forum could provide a better explanation.

The only thing I read on one of the other stereo threads on this forum is that Alpine makes an amp which has another 100W that is plug and play.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Correct, there is no wiring conversion for the viper. May possibly be an adapter plug that converts the alpine DIN plug to RCA though (thought I saw one for $70).
I plan to change over to aftermarket setup and leave factory wiring intact.

The B-quiet is fantastic. I also installed it in the cabin area. Really cuts the noise down. (added 20 LBS total)

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put a low pass filter on the amp to sub wires and you will free up a lot of bass, assuming the original rears are full range. Radio Shack can help you cheap, or you can spend more at an audio shop. Crutchfield has all kinds of adapter info, and may help you with stock to RCA conversions.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
SO now you are an interior decorator ????

looks good Joel, we are clearly headed in opposite directions, I am turning up the DB's while you are shutting them down :2tu:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sound deadening is a project I have in mind in the future once the mechanics of the car are the way I want them. My question is, did it quiet down the exhaust noise inside the cabin? I hate my loud exhaust and would love to quiet the car down.

OP
OP
J

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't silence the exhuast note by any means, but it does bring it down maybe 25 to 40%. I think it quiets the exhaust note more over 2000RPM and not as much at idle or under 1500RPM.

I also think the sound deadening just makes the Bass sound deeper and more thud, overall the system now sounds really good. I'd say now it sounds better or at least as good as my C5 Stereo.

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JK, sounds like a good way to go. I do agree with cop magnet as that the line needs a filter to send a low frequency signal to the subs. Subwoofers tend to not sound as good in the mid-range level IMO. Are there any grills or any options for covering these particular speakers?

OP
OP
J

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TomSlick,

The speakers are sold with out grills and none are needed. The stock grills for the subs are mounted on the carpeting and not directly to the speaker.

Thus, all you do is remove the old sub which is mounted to the speaker box with 4 screws and re-mount the new speakers. Once you put the carpeting back the grills cover the speakers up.

You can see the JL logo through the stock speaker grills which I think is a nice touch.

BTW - I purchased them at a local store, but Woofersetc.com has them in stock. They sell them in both 8 ohm and 4 ohm version. I chose the 4 ohm.

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JK: Nice job on the B-Quiet ! If anyone is interested here is the link to JL Audio's subwoofer-power chart. You can't just go out and buy the "best" sub that fits the hole, because the stock viper/alpine amp won't power them correctly, thus resulting in crappy sound and/or premature failure. Too little power (at high volume levels) is worse than to much...

[ BTW, JL Audio subs are great ! ]

I forget how many watts the stock Alpine amp is in our cars. Amyone remember what it is per channel ?

Here is the link, (there is a hi-res version if you click the .pdf). http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/RP_Chart.html

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JK: Nice job on the B-Quiet ! If anyone is interested here is the link to JL Audio's subwoofer-power chart. You can't just go out and buy the "best" sub that fits the hole, because the stock viper/alpine amp won't power them correctly, thus resulting in crappy sound and/or premature failure. Too little power (at high volume levels) is worse than to much...

Anyone know how many watts the stock amp is? Anyone upgrade the stock amp without cutting wires and mounting it in the same area as the stock one in the GTS trunk? I went to a stereo shop the other day to look into upgrading to more bass and they want to move the amp, remove spare tire, run new wires, make fiberglass enclosure, etc., etc. I need a little better stereo sound, but don't feel like cutting the car up.