Subwoofer install

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys....I thought I would share my subwoofer install. I wanted to do something that would blend in and not take up any more space than I had to. I started to do 2 10's, but I really didn't want to cover my battery access plate up. I am happy with my results, what do you guys think? :headbang:

sub3.JPG

sub1.JPG

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow VERY nice!

I am having problems with mine, kicker sub and 5 channel amp so I took it out a few mos ago:(

that's how I want mine to be installed, very clean and you still have room for the overnight bag

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did it all myself. I've been involved in car audio for about 20 yrs. now. It is all fiberglass. To be honest this is my first all fiberglass sub enclosure though. I have done fiberglass tops for boxes, ports, amp racks, etc. but I have never done the entire enclosure before. I am very pleased with my results. Not hard, just time consuming. I chose to cover it rather than paint it. I think it blends in better.

TrapperJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you use foam to form the enclosure over a particle board bottom piece? How did you stretch and attach the vinyl over the compound curves ? By the way, great craftsmanship. John

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did not make a mold off of it. I taped off the entire area where it sits and used the car as the mold. I layed fiberglass down in the car to make the bottom mold. Then I pulled the "bottom" out, trimmed it up and made the top. Like I said a little time consuming. :) I would have to take it back out to make a mold.

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As far as the vinyl goes...this was a little tricky. It is stapled in the hole cutout. Under where the speaker sits. Then I had to work my way outward from the circle. I used a lot of heat to stretch the vinyl and used 3M 90 spray adhesive. The trick is work your way out from the cutout, using heat, and doing small areas at a time. You can also use a cold wet rag to press on an area after you stick it. This seems to help the vinyl "relax" and not try to pull up or wrinkle later.

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very Nice....looks high quality. What amp are you running for the sub? Stock outputs or something aftermarket?

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I stripped everything factory. :2tu: I am using the new JL Audio HD 900/5 amp to run everything. It has a 100 x 4 output for the front end and a dedicated sub output of 500 x 1. I have it mounted where the factory sub used to be. You can see the face of it through the factory grill. Sorry no pics of it yet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960