Suggestions on selling my 06

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
then IMO, the HP needs to be upped to be worth that kind of money. people are just not going to want a 645 hp car IMO for that price.

if it has the fuel system to support it, boost it up

a built motor SRT should be at least 800rwhp if not more. heck there are stock motor SRT's at 700+

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this does not sound like a built motor car. does it have cast pistons ?

My car has a built motor. Built by Arrow Racing Engines with Diamond Forged Pistions with lowered ring lands for the blower. It also has Mopar/Carillo i-beam forged rods, chrome molly push rods, ATI damper, crankcase ventaltion, and swinging oil pickup. The new owner can up the boost if they wish.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats all the good stuff there. now we just need DLM to tune it right for ya :)

unless you are at a high altitude ?

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They may deny warranty claims for problems that they can show were caused by modifications. There is a federal law somewhere that spells this out. Any aftermarket part supplier will tell you the same thing. So if the buyer blows the engine up then yes they could argue that the supercharger was responsible. If the radio or windows or AC fails they would have a hard time denying the claim. .

That is pretty much what I said. A subsidiary of a manufacturer can void a warranty if the item has been altered or reconfigured which directly lead to the failure. The point of the AC, etc. is irrelevant because my statement only addressed ENGINE mods and refused claims on ENGINE failures (I certainly understand that a dealership cannot refuse a warranty repair on stereo issue because an aftermarket supercharger is installed). They can and have, however, refused warranty engine work on a car with a Nitrous kit installed, for example because the energy created by this substance fall outside of the design parameters of the engine itself. Even Corsa, for example, has expressed that the use of racing fuel CAN void the warranty. What's "illegal" is the failure to determine if the claim has relevance and validity and not just simply the refusal to honor the claim. Besides, the Magnuson-Moss Act applies to manufacturer's warranties not service contracts which falls under another unique set of consumer protection laws. The Viper tech discussion is also irrelevant (didn't mention anything about Viper techs) as I personally wouldn't let some Viper techs anywhere near my car. Viper friendly, in my eyes, mostly include the ones who support this site.

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats all the good stuff there. now we just need DLM to tune it right for ya :)

unless you are at a high altitude ?

Car was built for Boston area, I just moved to Denver (mile high city) so if I were going to keep it here I would probably change the pulley and raise the boost to compensate for the altitude.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gbatejan,

It sounds like you have a hell of a car, and I sympathize with the sales process, I had a 2000 GTS that I probably poured over $100K into, exotic engines built engine, paxton, 850+ rear wheel HP, AEm, Lemans boy kit etc. the list goes on and on. end of the day I sold it for $54K, kick myself daily for doing it to.

IF I were you I would listen to Plum and just try to eek out a big HP number as that is what the buyers of this type of car are looking for, JUst bolt on a tiny pulley and run her up and get a +800 number for advertsing sake or get a quote from A&C or where ever to state , BLAH BLAH says that with a tune *** a pulley this car can put out 1100 rwhp, otherwise you are selling a car that is best sold in stock for., hell with all those mods I'm tempted to want to trade you my bone stock 4K mile FE for it, LOL

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS R 001, I gotta say I do love the 06 FE coupes. They are IMO one of the best looking Vipers ever produced. I suppose I could change the pulley and tune my car for 800+ RWHP but then I figure I should leave some fun for the next owner. In any event, if it doesn't sell I won't be heart broken, I'll just keep it!!! Can't bad.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George;

You might want to get together with TR930 as unfortunately up here at this altitude, it is quite a bit more work that just a smaller pulley. Whole fuel system needs to be upgraded and then SCT needs to really step in to support and help with the custom tuning. NONE of the other tuners out there can even appreciate what needs to be done to tune it up here. I don't vare what they say that they can compensate for the altitude, it is all BS. It needs to be tuned up here to make it work right.

At this point, you might as well drive the hell out of it and enjoy it.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez, the emphasis on the horsepower number and not the type of work that was done to it is just plain stupid. So, listing a high BS number by anyone who can manipulate a dyno would sell this car better? Are we looking for the ones with a lot of money and little brains? I think they're in short supply. I think what was done to the car and by who is worth more to a discriminating buyer. This is also a bad time to be selling expensive toys.

gbatejan - you have 3 Vipers and want to get rid of the modded 06 that is faster than your 08 & 09? Why not sell your Gen IV coupe instead? You have more invested in your 06 than you do in your 09?

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tuning up here is a *****. Sean Roe and I are going to give it a go with the Paxton FMU unit. I got a laptop, SS software, SCT, scanxl software for data logging. Going to tune this 10 lb pulley up here in outer space... I am going to ditch the FMU but for right now we are going this route.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
930, do the fuel system NOW and then tune it right.

the emphasis with a highly modded car that was built right with quality parts (like georges car) is going to be the HP. not too hard to figure out. there are plenty of similar or better quality builds out there, things being equal you would look at the HP. not so hard to figure out. id have shot DLM if he gave my car back to me with 600rwhp after spending all the money and time i did to build it right. and i actually did tell him to lower the power. i felt 800+ was enough at the time. the general way people buy modded vipers is based on HP and then how its built so somehow HP must be pretty important to people

start talking to a guy at a car show and mention you have a SC SRT, the first question out of their mouth, HOW MUCH HP DOES IT HAVE ? not what is the quality if the parts in the build....

guys dont look at ugly girls with great hearts, they look at the ********* with the big ****.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry George, not to hijack here but which SCT tuner did you get, TR930? I am seeing the SCT Xcalibrator 2 Dodge Flash Programmer for like $150. Seems too cheap not to jump on if it is the right one.

Also Plum, if the fuel system on the GEN III was upgraded from the tank forward, what could be done and with what parts?

Thanks
Rick

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SCT 9550 Xcalibrator. I paid 400 for it then found it on EBay for 150. Oh well. I have to re write Split Sec Box this weekend and install my 2 BAR MAP tune from Sean and the throw it on the dyno and fine tune from there.

There is another guy selling 06 S/C on EBay for 60k. He has 27k miles and no bids so far. Paxton with stock bottom end. I got mine with 12 k miles for much less than that although that is exactly where the seller started, 60 k.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont know anything about the gen3 fuel system, but on a gen2 you can use the fuel line as a return and go on from there. i know 1TONY1 did a writeup on that a while back.

i think a fuel system done on the cheaper side is ~ 1500 bucks if i recall. well worth it IMO and then you can play with more power.

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I should tune for more HP, but that seems like such a hassle for a car I'm trying to sell. I have had several folks get interested in the car. One kid I thought was going to buy it until he got in it. Too big for the seats. Another guy bought a stock Copperhead vert instead, he decided he wanted a vert instead of a coupe. There is a third that seems real interested now, we'll see. There were others as well and none of them seemed to think the HP was too low. They all seemed to value the forged internals though and the fact that the car looks great and has been well maintained. If I don't sell it soon I'll just start driving the heck out of it and save the ACR for track duty.

Oh, someone asked why I don't keep the 06 and sell the ACR. I had work done on the ACR too. DC Performance heads and intake, custom paint, rollbar, shift light, shifter, air/oil separator, etc.. So while it isn't as fast as the 06 in a straight line it is no slouch either and I did buy it because I want to do more road course track stuff. I'm not a drag racer otherwise I would keep the 06 and tune it for more HP.

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Exchange has a 2006 FE coupe for sale. Bone stock for $59,995. Yes it has 3700 miles but even with 25,000 miles my car is a steal at $57,500 with all the added goodies.

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go down 2 pulley sizes, get a 2 Bar map sensor, and bring sea level performance to the Rockies. Trust me, yourcar is WAY down on power up here. Oh, and keep it. There will only be so many turbo/supercharged vipers in the world.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Exchange has a 2006 FE coupe for sale. Bone stock for $59,995. Yes it has 3700 miles but even with 25,000 miles my car is a steal at $57,500 with all the added goodies.

yours sure does sound like a dang bargain compared to that one..but thats just my opinion

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
930, do the fuel system NOW and then tune it right.

the emphasis with a highly modded car that was built right with quality parts (like georges car) is going to be the HP. not too hard to figure out. there are plenty of similar or better quality builds out there, things being equal you would look at the HP. not so hard to figure out. id have shot DLM if he gave my car back to me with 600rwhp after spending all the money and time i did to build it right. and i actually did tell him to lower the power. i felt 800+ was enough at the time. the general way people buy modded vipers is based on HP and then how its built so somehow HP must be pretty important to people

start talking to a guy at a car show and mention you have a SC SRT, the first question out of their mouth, HOW MUCH HP DOES IT HAVE ? not what is the quality if the parts in the build....

guys dont look at ugly girls with great hearts, they look at the ********* with the big ****.

^^^^ I'm with stupid here:D Horsepower is very important when shopping for a modified car! Hell it's the ONLY REASON anyone will consider a modified car Duh!

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other issue I see with spending the time and money to tune the car for Denver's altitude just so I could advertise big HP numbers is that anyone that buys the car would then have to retune it assuming they are not living here. Every single person that has been interested has been from sea level.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats a great point on the tuning in that altitude....wonder if it could be tuned at sea level and have a tune for your area ? then you could enjoy it till you sold it and then swap tunes. ?

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is not just the tune but the pulleys too.
I think this is really simple, your car is worth whatever someone else is willing to give you for it.
You have three choices; You either keep it, wait at the current price and maximize your market and hope someone buys it, or lower the price until it sells.

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a person that was looking, I did look over your ad many times. I was interested in a car such as yours and with those type mods. My personal turn-offs were the HP numbers given the description of the mods and work done (which you have since clarified). Another was the mileage, I also was really hooked on a different car color, then just some of the minor things like the decals, and the hood looked liked it had fitment issues (?).
As far as the pricing, you were selling at your numbers when other cars were actually priced lower. Asking prices seem have recently jumped up, perhaps due to current last body style or since none are being produced for the next year or so. These are just my personal views while I was looking around :beer:

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a person that was looking, I did look over your ad many times. I was interested in a car such as yours and with those type mods. My personal turn-offs were the HP numbers given the description of the mods and work done (which you have since clarified). Another was the mileage, I also was really hooked on a different car color, then just some of the minor things like the decals, and the hood looked liked it had fitment issues (?).
As far as the pricing, you were selling at your numbers when other cars were actually priced lower. Asking prices seem have recently jumped up, perhaps due to current last body style or since none are being produced for the next year or so. These are just my personal views while I was looking around :beer:

The hood has no fitment issues, it was installed by Chris Barone a site sponsor and recognized Viper body expert. Understand the mileage issue but given what other cars are selling for currently I am comfortable that the price is fair. As stated above you can always tune it for more horsepower, I personally haven't seen the need. Color choice is of course personal preference, to me the Blue/White cars are iconic and as much as I admire other colors sometimes I continually return to a Blue/White combo. If I could have found a Blue/White ACR I would have bought it, given that I couldn't find one I went with custom paint on my ACR - white sides, GTS Blue center band with white driver's stripe.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
scratch, im not familiar with that area for tuners but if you have a good tuner out there, dont let the numbers fool you on this car. there is plenty to be had wit a tune and pulley. IMO, the B/W is the absolute best color on a viper. it was my first choice, i got the second choice. the seller is also one of a few guys around this site id trust to buy a car from.

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
scratch, im not familiar with that area for tuners but if you have a good tuner out there, dont let the numbers fool you on this car. there is plenty to be had wit a tune and pulley. IMO, the B/W is the absolute best color on a viper. it was my first choice, i got the second choice. the seller is also one of a few guys around this site id trust to buy a car from.
These were just random thoughts when I was looking at it. I agree on the B/W combo, I fell in love with it when I first saw one displayed at Barret-Jackson prior to them being sold. I'm not knocking the car at all, these were just thoughts I had when I was checking it out. Had I gotten serious about it, I would of had the concerns I had, and spoken to gbatejan about them.
During that time I was looking, 06 coupes were really low on prices, and have since gone up (in asking price anyway).
I'm not sure about tuners in the Phoenix area, there is Eddie Martin as a tech for some things, I don't know if Fat Albert works on these :rolaugh:
gbatejan, not knocking your ride at all, I love it, (just thoughts as a buyer looking) and for me, it would have been a car I intended to keep for some time also, hence the mileage issue, but it wasn't really a deal breaker...best on the sale of it :2tu:

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These were just random thoughts when I was looking at it. I agree on the B/W combo, I fell in love with it when I first saw one displayed at Barret-Jackson prior to them being sold. I'm not knocking the car at all, these were just thoughts I had when I was checking it out. Had I gotten serious about it, I would of had the concerns I had, and spoken to gbatejan about them.
During that time I was looking, 06 coupes were really low on prices, and have since gone up (in asking price anyway).
I'm not sure about tuners in the Phoenix area, there is Eddie Martin as a tech for some things, I don't know if Fat Albert works on these :rolaugh:
gbatejan, not knocking your ride at all, I love it, (just thoughts as a buyer looking) and for me, it would have been a car I intended to keep for some time also, hence the mileage issue, but it wasn't really a deal breaker...best on the sale of it :2tu:

No problem at all. The car is what it is, I've been really honest with folks in terms of what it is and what it isn't. Seems like big numbers are important to a lot of folks. I understand that but they were just not that important to me. Car is way fast already, I honestly built the car to be safe. I guess 800 RWHP would be fun but 650 RWHP is already more car than I am a driver, and I like to think I'm a pretty good driver. In any event the car is built to handle big horsepower without worry if someone wants to go that route. Plus it has other stuff, chrome wheels, raptor shift light, MGW shifter, MGW shorty knob, Racelogic traction control, Stop Tech rotors, etc. Heck if someone was that worried about the car being original I even have the original hood that I could consider in a deal. Funny thing is that I spent $13K recently on the car with the Wizard just to make sure the car was perfect. I even added an MGW shifter even though I was going to sell the car. Crazy I guess.

Fortunately I've been blessed and I can keep it if someone doesn't come along to buy it. Not my first choice but I won't give the car away either. Given that Viper Exchange has an 06 FE for $59995 I think my price is totally fair. Yea the mileage on the VE car is lower but then again my car has virtually 0 miles on the engine and it was just serviced by the Wizard.

Thanks again for the input.

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some feedback George since I was looking at your car too. PM me if you want hear it.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also own a Paxton equipped 2006 FE coupe. Your price is VERY fair considering the mods list. I'd echo what others have mentioned though, whether it makes sense or not. I buy/sell a lot of cars, and you need to put your marketing hat on when preparing a car for selling. Put yourself into the shoes of the prospective buyer, perhaps someone not familiar with the Viper world just yet. Buying a used higher-mileage Viper, this is likely their first one. They won't know this "all-star" team of names. Seeing so many names doesn't look good to a buyer that doesn't recognize those names. Be sure to mention that this group is the "all-star team" and give info about each of them, that might help in the ad. Also, I have viewed your ad a few times and I'd say the #1 issue with the car not selling is the horsepower. I know, it sounds stupid to say this, as I am someone that understands the potential hp capability of your combo. But, for the 90% of other readers of the ad, who likely don't understand all those parts and what they mean - they are looking for the higher figure, period. With a laundry list of parts you mentioned in the ad, more power is certainly expected. I'd say 800+ rwhp is the magic number for these shoppers. Simply telling them they can do it themselves when they buy the car is a non-sale. They want proof it can do what you claim it might be possible to do. If your car put down 800+ rwhp, it would probably have already been sold at your price. HP does sell cars, especially cars like these. You might spend another grand on a pulley swap and re-tune, but you will likely sell the car without having to lower the price too.

Tony

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960