Supercharge 06 coupe Vs 08 coupe

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not taking away anything from the '08 Vipers but I don't agree that they look better. While the hood looks better, the thinner stripes do not. I suppose that an Underground twin turbo would end this debate in a hurry.

Agreed,stripes are too small but everybody doesn't have them. The hood truly is the only difference. A badass difference. The turbos are my favorite choice too but are
cost prohibitive in this debate.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not taking away anything from the '08 Vipers but I don't agree that they look better. While the hood looks better, the thinner stripes do not. I suppose that a twin turbo would end this debate in a hurry.

It sure will... I mean would... hehehe:D

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed,stripes are too small but everybody doesn't have them. The hood truly is the only difference. A badass difference. The turbos are my favorite choice too but are
cost prohibitive in this debate.

Agreed.. '06 with wider stripes and the 08 hood

slate_06_003.jpg

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty interesting topic.Years ago i set up the Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford test of Dan Blacks DLM stage 2, Supercharged Viper.The car made ALOT more power than a Stock Paxton Gen 3 bolt on kit ( over 700 to tire ).On stock tires Evan (Smith )ran 10.7 at 136 mph.In the same weather Smith runs low 11s(11.3) at 130 mph all day long in a stock 08.(a stock Paxton Kit on a Gen 3 is probably right in the middle of these two cars )When we are taking this power level a great driver in the 08 would probably beat an average driver the the supercharged cars running the stock radials.

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an 06 an now have an 08 and would personally say my 08 is just a better car. It drives better and goes with the warranty as others have said. In a few years you will be able to get more out of 08 engine anyway. I also drive my car everyday.

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an 06 an now have an 08 and would personally say my 08 is just a better car. It drives better and goes with the warranty as others have said. In a few years you will be able to get more out of 08 engine anyway. I also drive my car everyday.

How do you figure?! with your higher compression, cam-in-a-cam, and tuning restricitions on the ECU I don't see how you can make this statement?!?! :dunno:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would venture to say a Gen 4 with a header,exhaust up grade and the new MOPAR pcm would be slightly faster than a gen 3 with the stock Paxton kit without the side issues of the blower.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you figure?! with your higher compression, cam-in-a-cam, and tuning restricitions on the ECU I don't see how you can make this statement?!?! :dunno:

An 08 with simple bolt on (headers ,exhaust an Mopar pcm is good for approx 625 to the tire )

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would venture to say a Gen 4 with a header,exhaust up grade and the new MOPAR pcm would be slightly faster than a gen 3 with the stock Paxton kit without the side issues of the blower.

ok... I just don't understand the reasoning here.... the Gen 3 and Gen 4 WEIGHT THE SAME. A full bolt on Gen 4 gets anywhere from 550 to 580 to the wheels. A Gen 3 with a supercharger gets anywhere from 650 to 700 depending on bolt ons. That is 100+ HORSEPOWER difference for the same weight, same gearing, etc.

Tell ya what... bring your gen 4 with all the bolt ons with me on the freeway and ILLSMOQ!!! :D

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok... I just don't understand the reasoning here.... the Gen 3 and Gen 4 WEIGHT THE SAME. A full bolt on Gen 4 gets anywhere from 550 to 580 to the wheels. A Gen 3 with a supercharger gets anywhere from 650 to 700 depending on bolt ons. That is 100+ HORSEPOWER difference for the same weight, same gearing, etc.

Tell ya what... bring your gen 4 with all the bolt ons with me on the freeway and ILLSMOQ!!! :D
A bone stock Paxton kit on a GEN 3 traps in the 133 mph range (as i previously mentioned Smith got 136 mph out of Blacks car and that was ALOT more power than a bolt on stock Gen 3 kit )My 08 traps at right around 130 mph bone stock. (Header ,exhaust and PCM are good for an easy 70 plus to the tire )Is your Paxton kit STOCK or is it modded .

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember a stock Paxton kit is NOT INTENDED to be used with ANY MODS (as a reference ask Mark at Woodhouse who has done many of them )Simply not enough fuel is available and MANY people have run lean.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS also on the stock Paxton kit (with an upgraded intercooler )run 3 back to back dyno pulls on a hot day and tell me you dont drop 80 to the tire.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a RSI TWIN TURBO 2006 coupe and then I bought a new 2008 Coupe and the handling between the two were definately obvious. The 08 handled and rode so much better then the 06. The run flat tires were terrible and the cups are awesome.

To me it would be much smarter to start with the 08 or 09, supercharge it or Twin Turbo it and you will be much happier. Starting with the new 600 h.p.motor is alot better start then starting with the previous engine.

My personal opionion is just that...Happy Vipering....

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Debate, debate, debate continues....my 05 Comm. Edition with Belanger headers and exhaust, 3:55's, short throw shifter, and tune on PS2's at a local track, 66 degrees, and about 750ft. air ran 10.51, 137.82 mph.......just to throw that in the mix.......also......have less than $70 total investment.......pretty difficult to beat......no issues what-so-ever with reliability, and even in 115 degree weather this summer NEVER over heated, , (ran at 205 degress with the A/C on in traffic).......

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a RSI TWIN TURBO 2006 coupe and then I bought a new 2008 Coupe and the handling between the two were definately obvious. The 08 handled and rode so much better then the 06. The run flat tires were terrible and the cups are awesome.

To me it would be much smarter to start with the 08 or 09, supercharge it or Twin Turbo it and you will be much happier. Starting with the new 600 h.p.motor is alot better start then starting with the previous engine.

My personal opionion is just that...Happy Vipering....

I think you need to do a little research. Nobody is yet able to turbo or supercharge a Gen 4. The handling potential of both cars is identical. The Gen 4 benefits from improved shocks/tires but any half-wit can overcome that with a Gen 3. Is there such thing as a Gen 3 whose owner has not scrapped the runflats?

Motons are better than the shocks on the Gen 4. So, if a Gen 3 owner would change to motons, get better tires and fine tune the compression damping to accomodate the change, his car would drive and handle slightly better than a stock Gen 4 (excluding the ACR), particularly if he also swapped out the rotors for Eurotech or Stoptech 2 piece rotors (less unsprung weight).

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slightly better? You can use some help from the search function as well.

The only change to the 08 suspension is that the old suspension was simply dialed in for the change of weight and traction of the new non-run flats. The Motons are far superior to the 08 suspension without a doubt. No comparison. Now comparing the Moton set up to the ACR it is a different story. From what the guys at woodhouse has mentioned is the ACR setup out performs the moton setup by a close margin.

I think you need to do a little research. Nobody is yet able to turbo or supercharge a Gen 4. The handling potential of both cars is identical. The Gen 4 benefits from improved shocks/tires but any half-wit can overcome that with a Gen 3. Is there such thing as a Gen 3 whose owner has not scrapped the runflats?

Motons are better than the shocks on the Gen 4. So, if a Gen 3 owner would change to motons, get better tires and fine tune the compression damping to accomodate the change, his car would drive and handle slightly better than a stock Gen 4 (excluding the ACR), particularly if he also swapped out the rotors for Eurotech or Stoptech 2 piece rotors (less unsprung weight).

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Point being of coarse you can put 15000.00 (Paxton ,Motons and PS-2s )into a Gen 3 to have an advantage over a Gen 4 BUT you have to realize you will NEVER get that 15 grand back on the resale end and should ANYTHING happen there is no warranty whatso ever (pop an engine now you dont have 15 grand in the GEN 3 you got more like 30 grand in the Gen 3 )As i previously mentioned i would love to track and dyno a Gen 4 with headers ,exhaust Mopar pcm against a STOCK PAXTON kit on a GEN 3 (no expensive upgraded intercoolers ect )on a hot day after both cars have made a few dyno pulls (heatsoak has set in )to see the HP differences.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ps if iam skeptical with the mods ,power adders ect it comes from a reason.I had over 50 grand in mods(best of the best was put in that engine ) and repair work (numerious engine rebuilds in the 10 years i owned the car )in my old Gen 2 .When i went to sell it i did not get a nickel more than any other Gen 2 on the market with the same mileage .

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ps if iam skeptical with the mods ,power adders ect it comes from a reason.I had over 50 grand in mods(best of the best was put in that engine ) and repair work (numerious engine rebuilds in the 10 years i owned the car )in my old Gen 2 .When i went to sell it i did not get a nickel more than any other Gen 2 on the market with the same mileage .

I agree that you will get nothing or maybe 10cents on the dollar for the mods you spent.
Since the aurthor of the thread is considering though paying for mods (paxton) on his Gen3 or buying a new Gen4 he has a real issue. When he walks off the lot with a new 08/09 he will loose every bit as much in value from his new car as he would in a new paxton kit. I think money isn't an issue here. One mile and a owners name on that title will be a $10,000.00 loss on investment immediatly. Warranty is another issue, I think anyone who mods there 08 is going to be sweating bullets walking into the dealer to get service. Not all dealers are woodhouse and in this climate of the auto industry I would be worried. So apples to apples an 08 unmodded but with warranty compared to a 06 with stock paxton and no/or limited warranty is the comparison here.

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that you will get nothing or maybe 10cents on the dollar for the mods you spent.
Since the aurthor of the thread is considering though paying for mods (paxton) on his Gen3 or buying a new Gen4 he has a real issue. When he walks off the lot with a new 08/09 he will loose every bit as much in value from his new car as he would in a new paxton kit. I think money isn't an issue here. One mile and a owners name on that title will be a $10,000.00 loss on investment immediatly. Warranty is another issue, I think anyone who mods there 08 is going to be sweating bullets walking into the dealer to get service. Not all dealers are woodhouse and in this climate of the auto industry I would be worried. So apples to apples an 08 unmodded but with warranty compared to a 06 with stock paxton and no/or limited warranty is the comparison here.

10 cents on the dollar?!?! Come on..... I see used blowers getting 5k, corsa exhausts at 1k, and motons at 3k... now that depends on having the the mods installed at a shop or for us that actually do the work ourselves since my time is free when I spend it on my car!! :D people are crazy that don't pull the major mods off and just sell the car seperate!! (unless it is a custom built turbo or blower system)

Dyno racing huh?!?! who does that?!? no air flow over the car is not a real world race. Also... the whole drag race thing is out. too many factors such as driver, mods, elevation, upgraded half-shfts etc. Plus, I don't know about you, but 99 percent of the time driving the car is not at the drag strip.... its on the street or track. I am talking REAL WORLD!!! flying down the freeway with 100 more horsepower to the wheels... as well as a better suspension since most of us are running Motons!! :drive:

In the end... do what makes you happy!!

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait a little bit, save up more cash, build the motor in the Gen 3, then put the paxton on. Now you're talking about 300-400hp difference.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The exact reason to buy a used 08 (first guy takes the big depreciation hit )warranty is stillin effect

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10 cents on the dollar?!?! Come on..... I see used blowers getting 5k, corsa exhausts at 1k, and motons at 3k... now that depends on having the the mods installed at a shop or for us that actually do the work ourselves since my time is free when I spend it on my car!! :D people are crazy that don't pull the major mods off and just sell the car seperate!! (unless it is a custom built turbo or blower system)

Dyno racing huh?!?! who does that?!? no air flow over the car is not a real world race. Also... the whole drag race thing is out. too many factors such as driver, mods, elevation, upgraded half-shfts etc. Plus, I don't know about you, but 99 percent of the time driving the car is not at the drag strip.... its on the street or track. I am talking REAL WORLD!!! flying down the freeway with 100 more horsepower to the wheels... as well as a better suspension since most of us are running Motons!! :drive:

In the end... do what makes you happy!!
Drag racing is out beg to disagree with you as a supercars quarter mile time is a main determining factor in any sales purchase.As long as the drag racing results are done same day ,same track same driver it is a very competant way to judge a cars performance.As far as bolt on mods =asking and getting are too different things.As a test call ANY of the major Viper dealers in this country and tell them you have a GEN 3 with mods and see how much more they will give you for one over a bone stock car on trade in.(If the stock car has the optional extended warranty my guess is the modded car is actually worth less on a trade in as people will be afraid to buy because of the reliability factor ect )

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
625 to the wheels with a warranty.....WOW! :omg:
MAYBE as SHANDON posted previously that has alot to do with the dealer.(As the letter of the law goes ANY aftermarket part added can void the factory warranty )

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bang for the buck, boosted is the way to go. I would love to have an 08, because I prefer the simplicity of NA cars(not very mech. inclined), but I couldn't stomach selling my 03 for 40k and buying a 08 for 70k. I could use that 30k and build a 1/4 mile or road course specific car. Better yet, I could add GTS or RT10 to the stable.. 2snakes for the price of one. :headbang:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Point being of coarse you can put 15000.00 (Paxton ,Motons and PS-2s )into a Gen 3 to have an advantage over a Gen 4 BUT you have to realize you will NEVER get that 15 grand back on the resale end and should ANYTHING happen there is no warranty whatso ever (pop an engine now you dont have 15 grand in the GEN 3 you got more like 30 grand in the Gen 3 )As i previously mentioned i would love to track and dyno a Gen 4 with headers ,exhaust Mopar pcm against a STOCK PAXTON kit on a GEN 3 (no expensive upgraded intercoolers ect )on a hot day after both cars have made a few dyno pulls (heatsoak has set in )to see the HP differences.

I couldn't resist...

'06 -$15000 "loss" on Paxton, Motons, PS2s...The "loss" is add. 100-150 hp and race car handling...? Loss???
'08 - $25000 "loss",.. driving out of showroom. The "loss" is....less money in pocket.

Regarding comparing dyno pulls on a hot day... After you strip the gen 3 of the upgraded intercooler (but leave all mods on the 08...? The Mopar PCM=intercooler). And as far as the "heat soak" after multiple runs on the dyno on a hot day. (Don't think I would do that to either car and I would hardly call that everyday driving) The 08 might have an advantage in that particular situation. After that unusual comparison.Take the two cars out on the Highway. Any "everday driving" highway...
END Of STORY. I think we all know the outcome.:D

It depends on what you are after with your Viper,
An investment or a Badasps piece of machinery that sounds and performs even better than it looks. The last thing I think about on a track day or the middle of a 10+ car cruise or basically whenever I drive or am near my cars, is resale. Much less, if that rattle is under warranty. And after some of the stories I have been reading on here, I am not so sure about turning my car in for warranty work anyway.

IMHO.. If you are after an investment, buy a painting or real estate.

The 06 warranty still covers everything but the drive train (which is now 650-700 hp w/ Paxton :))
I bought my Vipers because of the performance and to have a lot of fun driving them. I wasn't quite so concerned about resale, warranties etc.
I am after performance and after some research, an 06 is a better dollar value too. Like I said, it just depends what you want from your car.

The only drawback... the weight of the extra money I saved buying the 06s' tends to slow me down. ;):)

This is not a slam on the 08s.They are great cars.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid ,if the supercharger was the TRUE ANSWER then why did SRT not go in that direction on the GEN 4 ?(Reliability and Heatsoak )Team SRT in staying NA with the Gen 4 basically answered this question for all us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang