Swirl Prevention ?

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm interested in anyone's experience with micro fiber/terry cloth on dark colors such as black/sapphire.I have found nothing that I can touch my sapphire car with that doesn't leave light scratches.I've tried micro fiber 80/20 70/30,a new california duster and terry cloth towels,all leave varying degrees of marks, visible in sunlight.I have lightened the pressure I use to the point I am not actually lifting dust from the car when using quick detail spray.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try using 100% cotton T shirt material. Cut all of the seams off first.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm interested in anyone's experience with micro fiber/terry cloth on dark colors such as black/sapphire.I have found nothing that I can touch my sapphire car with that doesn't leave light scratches.I've tried micro fiber 80/20 70/30,a new california duster and terry cloth towels,all leave varying degrees of marks, visible in sunlight.I have lightened the pressure I use to the point I am not actually lifting dust from the car when using quick detail spray.

www.dftowel.com. I LOVE these towels.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told by a car detailer to apply all polish in a front to back to front motion instead of the circular motion that most people use. Any miner scratches then would not be in circles but rather straight lines which would not be nearly as noticeable. For what it's worth.

Bob K

OP
OP
G

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I have been waxing/cleaning front to back but I will pay more attention from now on.I just ordered several DF concourse towels to try them out,I appreciate the help.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told by a car detailer to apply all polish in a front to back to front motion instead of the circular motion that most people use. Any miner scratches then would not be in circles but rather straight lines which would not be nearly as noticeable. For what it's worth.

Bob K

That is really the only way besides not touching it. Due to all the particals in the air and in garages, the particals once removed, can scratch the clear coat. If you wash the car and dry with a up and down motion, you should be able to eliminate many of the clear coat scratches.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the DF towels look nice! do they have the letters embroidered on them like in the picture? wouldn't want that

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The easiest way to prevent swirls is washing the vehicle using a two bucket method to remove dust and debris instead of using a quick detail spray or california duster when possible.

Since I have started using the two bucket method, I have seen a noticeable decrease in the number of swirls on my vehicles. This allows me to go longer between polishing sessions with my Porter Cable.

If you are unfamiliar with the two bucket method, one bucket is filled with the soapy water and the other is just filled with water to act as a rinse agent between passes with the wash mitt. Works wonders.

OP
OP
G

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I am anal, it's a pain in the a$$.Repaint would solve my problem but I just love the color I know with this color it's never going to be perfect unless I leave it in a glass bubble.but I would like to keep swirls/scratches to a minimum.Not driving is not an option.I'll try the washing instead of quick detail, that makes sense.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to chime in here. You can have a perfect looking car. You need the right materials, tools, patience and time. Sapphire is a very nice color.

First of all, I do not understand the above comments that simply running a micro-fiber towel over your car is going to produce "swirl" marks. Swirl marks are actual defects in the clear coat either from the factory, environmental conditions or poor maintenance. Dust is not going to produce swirl marks, unless you use a dirty rag and grind the heck out of your car.

First of all, the basics. You need to go over your car with a fine tooth comb and clean the paint, polish and wax. I use Meguires. Others have other opinions. Meguires is a three step process. It takes time. Period.

Next, once you have it waxed (by hand or machine) put the car under a car cover. You will not have to do all that much maintenance on exterior. Keep the dust off of it in the first place.

I use the California Duster and have had no problems with it leaving swirl marks after a proper waxing. Good luck.

OP
OP
G

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should have said light scratches in the clear coat, I use about 3 micro fiber towels per each quick detail, car is covered when not in use.These light scratches have appeared since I've owned the car.Paint has been washed with dawn, clay barred, 7 coats of Zaino Z2 and 5 coats Pinnacle paste with Pinnacle detail spray between each coat, all hand applied.The cali duster left definite marks in the clear coat, No one but me or someone as anal as me would notice these marks it just agitates me that I've put these marks/scratches in the clear coat.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I stand corrected. You know what you are seeing. You did go at it with a fine tooth comb obviously. I am at a loss. I don't seem to have these problems. If I could find a way to add pictures to my gallery in the new format here, I would give you a shot of the side of my car so you can make a comparison.

OP
OP
G

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously I have missed something, or there is something different with my paint.I will say from 10 feet and in pictures the car is absolutely stunning,I have never had this dark of color so there's a learning curve, I just seem to have fallen of the curve.I'm open to any and all advice other than color change and counseling!

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My black/silver looks incredible to most. But I, like you, can see every single mark. I think you and I are probably too anal.

You need to look at it through other people's eyes.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try some 3M Finesse-it Finishing Material ( Item number 05928) to eliminate any scratches on the clearcoat surface. You do not need to and should not use it on the whole car. (Obviously, if the scratches go through the clearcoat, a high end body shop is needed to deal with them.) Read the instructions carefully and apply the Finesse-it by hand with 100% cotton T shirt material and rub out the scratches. After this, apply 3M Premium Liquid Wax. Item number 06005. It is clear coat safe. Wipe it off with the same 100% cotton T shirt material after it dries to a haze. The above two items are a bit pricey but your finish should then be flawless. I have used both products. The result is spectacular. Both items are available at a Sherwin Williams automotive product store. This is where body shops and automobile restorers get the "good stuff". Good luck and be careful.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then I would go with a Dawn wash. Change to Meguires three step Paint Cleaner - Polish and Wax. Do the Polish and Wax with a random orbital buffer to remove the scratches. Meguires website is SUPER informative. If you don't want to use the Dawn, use Meguires Gold car wash instead of the NXT product. For some reason, NXT seems to be watered down and does not foam well. Just my two cents.

Orbital makes a huge difference. I could not get the swirls out by hand. Orbital is the way to go. Others may have other opinions.

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have never used an orbital before, I caution those attempting to use it for the first time unless it is a random orbit polisher like the Porter Cable. Too aggressive of a pad and product can burn through the clear coat.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have never used an orbital before, I caution those attempting to use it for the first time unless it is a random orbit polisher like the Porter Cable. Too aggressive of a pad and product can burn through the clear coat.

You mean a rotory polisher that is direct drive. PC's are harmless.....

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suggest, if your car is gathering dust, rinse it off with water lightly before detailing,wipe down then detail. Use the Cali Duster LIGHTLY, if your getting very light layer of dust off, some tend to press down to hard.
I will get light scratch marks in the paint sometimes, using some micro-fiber towels when detailing. I guess there are various degrees of good, better and best towels.
I usually give a quick wax to those areas when that occurs and wipe off. If it is scratching your clearcoat, then follow the above buffing directions :2tu:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do NOT want to use T-Shirt material. You want some nap so that if there is and dirt or dust on the finish you have some nap for it to go into to keep it away from the paint.

Ira from www.lazaino sells some of the best pre trimmed and sewn cotton towels I have ever used. He also sells DFTowels that are awesome. I LOVE DFTowels but felt the older softer ones were nicer. The new ones are still awesome and the best out there but if I could find somebody that has the old style I would buy all they had left.

Whatever towel you use make sure it passes the CD test. If it scratches the CD it will scratch your car.

You also want to watch how you wash your towels. NO powder detergent or fabric softner. Go to www.zainostore.com, I think they still have good towel care directions on his web site.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"You do NOT want to use T-Shirt material. You want some nap so that if there is and dirt or dust on the finish you have some nap for it to go into to keep it away from the paint."

I am assuming a car that has been properly washed before application of the materials I have discussed. The 100% cotton T shirt material is used to apply the 3M products I discussed. It would not be appropriate to use these products on a car that has not been washed first. Three high end body shops that I am aware of all use 100% cotton T shirt material for this purpose. Trying to obtain an exceptional finish without removing the surface dirt first is not consistent with the goal.

OP
OP
G

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I don't know if that's possible,but I never thought about it, but it sure seems easier to mar the finish.Next sunny day I will strip polish/wax from an area and see.fyi I have zaino/pinnacle on the car

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with what someone said above-for dark cars, just don't touch them and they will be fine!

I have a black car and a sapphire blue, I was OH so anal with the black car, and I finally just gave up, used an orbital and got the major swirls out and stopped washing it so much. That seemed to help a LOT.

I have noticed too if I use the CA duster, it has to be used VERY lightly.

I also do the 2 bucket wash method, it works.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also do the 2 bucket wash method, it works.

I've read this before and I was wondering why rinsing with a hose wouldn't work just as well. In fact, since there's no contact with the surface when using a hose, wouldn't running a stream of clean water over the washed area be better than a rinse bucket and towel?

Anyway, I recently ordered some of the DF towels mentioned here and bought a Mr. Clean AutoDry wash kit that a few people on the forums recommended. Up until now all I've been using to keep it clean is the Meguire’s detail spray and microtowels. I have a black car with no swirl marks, scratches or chips and I'm paranoid about doing any major cleaning to it. The previous owner kept it in immaculate condition.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang