TAXING collector cars and the industry

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Senator Chuck Schumer, Democrat from New York is in the process of proposing a new federal tax for those people with hot rods, antique cars, collector cars, muscle cars, race cars ect. He states that those people with corvettes, ferrari's etc, are RICH and need to pay their fair share because the government needs new REVENUE SOURCES!

He says there are a lot of cars that are not registered such as race cars and so forth and he cites the Barrett Jackson auctions where sales amount to tens of millions of dollars and the federal goverment wants their share.

This article was in the New York Times paper on March 28th.

Schumer says we have been living off the backs of the poor people and its time we pay our fair share!

His bill is to tax us 10% per year of the actual value of the car and a special IRS branch would have to be established to track the actual values of the cars so they could tax us. We would have to list all cars owned by us on our 1040 tax form.

Pls contact your elected officials about this so we can send him a huge defeat on the issue.
Why doesn't Schumer ( and the democrats) try cutting spending instead of taxing us to death !!!

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We already pay an annual tax on our cars in CT, but at a much lower rate than 'actual value'.

My biz is in NY State...and as for Schumer, he is a pandering schmuck, as are most elected Demoncrats imo.

OP
OP
P

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is that "hope and change" looking right now and the American public is pondering should they keep Obama in the White House for 4 more years of this bull____ !!!!! Pretty soon with the Democratic agenda of redistribution of wealth, the Unions and Democrats will handle all of our money !!!

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't we already pay our fair share via the taxes added to our gasoline purchases. We tend to fill up more often too.

Husker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
10% value of each car. Yea right. If this were to go through, the value of "exotic" cars will drop quickly as most will not be able to come up with the cash each year for the taxes thus leading them to unload their cars at any cost.

This will not go to far in the political world as there are many influentual executives out there with "exotic" cars that will not put up with this type of grand standing. I really do not expect this to go too far.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the initial message from another car club, checked it out on Google, and also got it off the hotrod website.....someone is now trying to say it was a joke for April fools day....let's check whatever to see if this is true or not ?? Also tried snopes but could not locate any inquiries... !!!!

Sam Goldfarb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just received $900 worth of license plate validation stickers, this is only a partial of my vehicles, some come due at different times of year and many have not moved in years. The state of Ohio only allows you to have one vehicle without tags that might be a "project". All others you own must be tagged whether they are on the road or in a garage, however, I'm not sure how they know what you have under cover!

This sure seems like a vehicle "tax" to me and don't get me started on property tax and "temporary" school taxes that never seem to go away!

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, That's officially the stupidest idea I have ever heard.

a special IRS branch would have to be established to track the actual values of the cars so they could tax us.
So, He wants to create a tax to pay for an agency that's sole purpose will be to collect said tax? WOW!! I guess maybe he'll be able to claim he created some jobs then.

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's the annual Shelby American Auto Club joke.

SENATOR SCHUMER “TAXING CLASSIC CARS” NEW YORK TIMES ARTICLE REVEALED AS ONLY AN APRIL FOOL’S PRANK
April 5, 2011 8:06 am admin Classic Car Humor, SEMA Action Network
The Shelby American Automobile Club’s annual April Fool’s gag reached a much wider audience that anyone could have predicted. Initially a four-page newsletter was emailed to every member. It contained stories about a perpetual motion ’68 Shelby, a ’69 GT350 that supposedly got 40 miles per gallon and a bogus front page recreation of the New York Times, dated March 28th, that had two stories. One was a hoax about purported tax legislation being prepared by Sen. Charles Schumer, which would tax every collector car, antique, hot rod and race car in the country. This was, of course, concocted out of thin air. But it was, on the surface, believable and it hit numerous hot buttons of car owners.

As soon as some SAAC members read this they immediately went into full “Paul Revere mode,” posting the article on a wide variety of Internet car forums. Once on those forums, readers swarmed like angry killer bees, both posting angry comments about the unfairness of the concept and spreading parts and pieces of the original article in emails and postings. It was the classic definition of something “going viral.”

When readers on some forums recognized the whole thing as an April Fool’s joke and posted this, other readers seemed to look right past the warnings. We now know how Orson Wells must have felt after his 1938 “War of the Worlds” radio broadcast resulted in traffic jams as panicked people tried to flee New Jersey.

While we enjoy a good April Fool’s prank as much as anyone, we never envisioned that this one could spread so quickly or so widely beyond the Shelby American Automobile Club. We deeply regret if taking this story seriously has caused anyone any undue distress or embarrassment. To keep more of that from happening we would greatly appreciate it if you could forward this message to as many car enthusiasts as possible. If they forward it to others who can forward it to even more people, maybe this second message will catch up with and overpower the first one.

And finally, please do not contact Senator Schumer’s office. He already has his hands full with real issues of importance.

Best regards,

Rick Kopec

Shelby American Automobile Club

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C'mon guys. This can't be true. Even if there were 10 million such cars taxed each year and the tax was $1000/car, it would only raise 10 billion dollars. Our federal deficit is 14 trillion dollars. If we don't cut entitlements, we will be in debt forever and ever.
PAVenomRT/10

toohot4u

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Senator Chuck Schumer, Democrat from New York is in the process of proposing a new federal tax for those people with hot rods, antique cars, collector cars, muscle cars, race cars ect. He states that those people with corvettes, ferrari's etc, are RICH and need to pay their fair share because the government needs new REVENUE SOURCES!

He says there are a lot of cars that are not registered such as race cars and so forth and he cites the Barrett Jackson auctions where sales amount to tens of millions of dollars and the federal goverment wants their share.

This article was in the New York Times paper on March 28th.

Schumer says we have been living off the backs of the poor people and its time we pay our fair share!

His bill is to tax us 10% per year of the actual value of the car and a special IRS branch would have to be established to track the actual values of the cars so they could tax us. We would have to list all cars owned by us on our 1040 tax form.

Pls contact your elected officials about this so we can send him a huge defeat on the issue.
Why doesn't Schumer ( and the democrats) try cutting spending instead of taxing us to death !!!

Living off the backs of poor people ...What a fricking joke! I think it has been the other way around. If they think for once that they can tax their way out of this deficit (which is being proposed) then they are sadly mistaken. I am so tried of seeing people and corporations milk the govt with housing sudsides and not paying their fair share of taxes. Now you want to hike my taxes to cover them. It is sad to say but it looks like it will come down to the defcit being banlanced off the backs of everyone who is 55 and below. Shame on you america

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Define collector car.
Damn near impossible.
My '66 Shelby is road registered, just a used car.
2) Values are way too subjective.
A '69 Camaro runs from $30K to $230K.
3) Chuck Shumer is an a$$hol@

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This shows exactly who reads through the thread and those that can't wait to throw in their two cents in. Very funny indeed.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This shows exactly who reads through the thread and those that can't wait to throw in their two cents in. Very funny indeed.

+1, LMAO. Good one by the Shelby American Auto Club ....

On AprilFoolsNight i was out at a bar and someone went up to the band and they stopped playing then the lead singer said Attention; Is the owner of the Dode Viper in here. After finding out it was me they proceeded to pull the "Someone backed into your car in the parkinglot" prank. I half fell for it and was all out of wack for a good 15min after the joke:rolaugh: Afterwards went up to the prankster who was an older fellow and asked him if he was a car guy. I told him Good one, then he was pleased to go take a closer look at the Viper:)

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This post is a violation. How long are April Fool's jokes allowed to go on? I think April 5th is beyond the allowable limit!

PAVenomRT/10