The Boost Experience

JG01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had to share this. My lovely wife asked me several times during the process as to why I would want turbos on my car. Well I needed to run a log after I got home with the car and asked her if she would ride along and hold the laptop for a few minutes.

Here's her story:

I was just sitting here thinking about (reliving the horror of...HA HA just kidding!!) my "boost experience" tonight. You asked me to describe how your car is different now, and it seemed important to you, so I thought I'd share my thoughts with you. You know I am better at expressing myself in writing, anyway. Forgive me if I ramble a bit before I get started.

I've always been a little nervous when riding in the Viper. You are the most skilled driver I've ever known, and you drive carefully and responsibly, at least when I'm in the car. :) So, it's nothing to do with you, but rather the car itself that makes me nervous. There's just something intimidating about it, you know? Even when you're doing the speed limit, I can still feel the potential the Viper is capable of, and it always scared me a little. So, that's the history.

Now, I know nothing about cars, but I consider myself a fairly intelligent woman. So, when you tell me the car used to have about 450 hp, and now it has almost 800, I can process that data efficiently enough to know that the car that made me a little nervous before, now is probably going to do much more than that. :) In other words, I knew what I was getting into when I went for a ride with you tonight. :)

So, you put the computer in my lap and ask me to watch these two numbers, and that's what I do. Even though you tell me I don't have to watch them until you tell me to get ready, I watch them anyway. They distract me from worrying about that potential I was talking about before, so all is good. :) We're riding along at a normal pace, and everything is fine. Then, the big moment comes, and you tell me to watch! All of a sudden, I'm thrown backward in the seat, and my right hand instinctively grasps the bar on my door...holding on for dear life. I hear these little screams coming out of my mouth, but I watch those numbers...they're somehow my lifeline. :) You slow down, and I give my report, thinking how glad I am I survived.

Then, after a minute or two of driving normally again, you tell me to get ready again. I'm thrown back in my seat again. I feel you shift gears and hear the blow-off valves...once, twice, three times, more? I'm not sure, but each time you shift, I'm thrown farther back, each time with more force than the last. "Watch the numbers, just watch the numbers", I tell myself. "They'll keep you safe." (It's crazy how the mind works when you're terrified, isn't it?) And even though I never take my eyes off them, I can sense the scenery outside the car rushing by in a blur. Of course, my right hand is gripping the handle on my door so hard I'm surprised I didn't rip it right off, and those little screams are a LOT louder and more numerous than the first time. Then, it's over again, and I'm giving my report in a shaky, squeaky little voice. That's when I made it clear I couldn't take another "adventure". :)

Now, how was that different from before you had the TT installed? It's not that you were driving fast; we've gone fast before. I think it's the fact that, one second, we were driving normally, and then, what seemed like less than a second later, we were FLYING. It was just so instantaneous, so sudden, so forceful and powerful. It was like being on a roller coaster, slowly creeping up the hill, then finding yourself hurling through space at what feels like a million miles an hour, not even cognizant of what's propelling you or anything other than the sheer sensation of speed.

Of course, for me, that was terrifying. :) But you're not a wimp like I am. And I think I FINALLY understand why you wanted the turbos.

She won't help me log anymore!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awwwww...that is too bad...faster the better in MY opinion!!! But, yes, I can see how people can get scared of that power...perhaps if she were warned ahead of time WHAT to expect, she wouldn't have gotten so frightened? I LOVE the BEAST's power, and live for it as much as we can!!! AND, we have NOWHERE near the power YOU do...we'd LOVE the TT setup, and yes, we'd both be having a BLAST with that power...that's nice your wife wrote you that letter...she's very eloquent!!! Good Luck taking her for a ride now.
~juli

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you. Your wife is a talented writer. She captured the moment perfectly.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write up.
My guess is that she won't be soooo scared of it once she gets behind the wheel! :D

My wife got my TT up to 175 in a matter of seconds when a group of ricers gave us the Fly-by one night! :D

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write up.
My guess is that she won't be soooo scared of it once she gets behind the wheel! :D
My wife got my TT up to 175 in a matter of seconds when a group of ricers gave us the Fly-by one night! :D

Yepper--that's what the BEAST is for!!! Good for both of you~~~:2tu: ~juli
(though of course, 175mph WAS on a track...right...:rolleyes: ...rulez!)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I understand where she's coming from. My wife will probably say. "that's exactly it". She still rides with me though.

After writing off my 98 sc'd GTS she was worse and even more nervous about even getting in the 01 GTS that she knew I bought because it had tons more power than the 98. So, after traveling alone for a month or so we loaded up and went to the VCA Moutain climb rally in Revelstoke. She told me before we left that she was planning on getting a massage while I "did my thing". I said OK because we're going back to the Hotel to pick-up non-participants after the rally.

Anyway, she decided to take the 'plunge' and was sitting beside me when I dropped the clutch at the starting line. Each time I wanted to shift up another gear and just enjoy the experience instead of competeing (max, speed 50mph) I remembered her sitting in the seat beside me and the 'stomp urge' went away. I think she wore out the carpet were the brake pedal would be, if there was one on the pass side, AND ... I came in second!

I think she won a personal battle with herself and earned the respect of all members there. She beat her Demons.

I understood before what she was going through, but now I guess I have a better persective of it. I guess that, inversely, that expains why I even love driving slow.

Ted

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand where she's coming from. My wife will probably say. "that's exactly it". She still rides with me though.
After writing off my 98 sc'd GTS she was worse and even more nervous about even getting in the 01 GTS that she knew I bought because it had tons more power than the 98. So, after traveling alone for a month or so we loaded up and went to the VCA Moutain climb rally in Revelstoke. She told me before we left that she was planning on getting a massage while I "did my thing". I said OK because we're going back to the Hotel to pick-up non-participants after the rally.
Anyway, she decided to take the 'plunge' and was sitting beside me when I dropped the clutch at the starting line. Each time I wanted to shift up another gear and just enjoy the experience instead of competeing (max, speed 50mph) I remembered her sitting in the seat beside me and the 'stomp urge' went away. I think she wore out the carpet were the brake pedal would be, if there was one on the pass side, AND ... I came in second!
I think she won a personal battle with herself and earned the respect of all members there. She beat her Demons.
I understood before what she was going through, but now I guess I have a better persective of it. I guess that, inversely, that expains why I even love driving slow.
Ted

Ted--that is a GREAT story...glad your wife got over her 'demons'...the car is totally FOR speed...and that's what I'm all about too. Glad she earned her respect from the members, she deserves it, as do you...good for you! ~juli

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks.

I didn't mean exactly that "I love driving slow" I actually meant that I also enjoy driving when I'm going slow, lol.

Ted

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang