The Forum Wars: Viper ACR versus Modded Z06

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nicely done and even more kudos for not making excuses like your competitor...they just come off cheesy. I like that the announcer stated that had their been any sort of straightaway, likely the Viper would have won the autocross as well.

Good luck this weekend and thanks for representing Viper owners well!!

Regards,
Aaron
P.S. I would have been a smartass and asked for some gold chains when they handed you the victory plaque

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Last season the Viper vs Vette was an ACR on Hoosiers versus the owner of Meguiars on street tires. This season, I had to compete on regular PS2s (which we know is less than stock) so it was a little difficult to hook but the Viper is an awesome car inspite of tire choices!

CarDude,

Hoosier makes a bunch of tires. Some are drag tires, some are road course tires, some are Auto X tires. Here are the facts:

Last year the "Forum Wars" rules stated "DOT" only tires. Not wanting to let you guys down, I called Tire Rack and Parts Rack for their advice. I showed up with Hoosier A6's which are DOT Autocross tires. While A6's are good autocross tires, the sidewalls are very stiff and they are very difficult to get warm at the drags - I tried. Bottom line, they don't really "hook" well at the drags. I had to slip the clutch, which I practiced for about two weeks before the event. Also, new PS2's (which the ZR1 was running) offer a much softer sidewall and a better potential launch at the drags than A6's - I've launched on both types of tires.

I selected the A6's because two of the 3 events were not drags, i.e. they were an AutoX and the tie breaker, if necessary, was a timed figure 8. As a strategy, I conceded the drags to the ZR1 but gave it my best shot and still beat him quite handily as he got excited and didn't launch the car well.

Then, I beat the ZR1 (not Z06) pretty easily in the Auto X. No tie breaker was needed.

I was told later by the producers that the ZR1 driver complained about my tires giving me a big advantage, which was BS at the drags - but I'm sure that they helped a bit at the AutoX.

Then I was told that Royal Purple didn't want to upset the Corvette guys (more of them than us), so they would not run the show.

Both were good wins for Viper.

Dan :2tu:

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hahahahahahahahahhahah, Quote: "I'm sure it was "clutch" related *wink *wink" lol, nice win car dude!!!! Pretty neat little vid, this is the first one I've seen, I'll keep watchin'!

OP
OP
C

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CarDude,

Hoosier makes a bunch of tires. Some are drag tires, some are road course tires, some are Auto X tires. Here are the facts:

Last year the "Forum Wars" rules stated "DOT" only tires. Not wanting to let you guys down, I called Tire Rack and Parts Rack for their advice. I showed up with Hoosier A6's which are DOT Autocross tires. While A6's are good autocross tires, the sidewalls are very stiff and they are very difficult to get warm at the drags - I tried. Bottom line, they don't really "hook" well at the drags. I had to slip the clutch, which I practiced for about two weeks before the event. Also, new PS2's (which the ZR1 was running) offer a much softer sidewall and a better potential launch at the drags than A6's - I've launched on both types of tires.

I selected the A6's because two of the 3 events were not drags, i.e. they were an AutoX and the tie breaker, if necessary, was a timed figure 8. As a strategy, I conceded the drags to the ZR1 but gave it my best shot and still beat him quite handily as he got excited and didn't launch the car well.

Then, I beat the ZR1 (not Z06) pretty easily in the Auto X. No tie breaker was needed.

I was told later by the producers that the ZR1 driver complained about my tires giving me a big advantage, which was BS at the drags - but I'm sure that they helped a bit at the AutoX.

Then I was told that Royal Purple didn't want to upset the Corvette guys (more of them than us), so they would not run the show.

Both were good wins for Viper.

Dan :2tu:

I think they didn't want to upset the owner of Meguiars more than the vette crowd.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great job! TO beat SW at the drag strip is some accomplishment! You better write that down because it probably wont happen again. SW is a great car guy and an unbelievable driver with many records. Again, way to represent the VIPER!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im still finding it funny that no one has noticed that while his clutch was spinning his tires were as well.

lilgookiemonsta

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can't believe you still trapped 125MPH even with that massive wheelspin on your launch!! Good stuff beating the 'vette!

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great job beating the Vette! I hear SW is pretty popular guy, you would think with his recognition he would have more tact. Not knowing the guy, I think he is grade A ******.

Gold chains weren't big when the Viper came out, sorry that is Vette territory.

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great job beating the Vette! I hear SW is pretty popular guy, you would think with his recognition he would have more tact. Not knowing the guy, I think he is grade A ******.

Gold chains weren't big when the Viper came out, sorry that is Vette territory.

I sold my modified BMW M6 to SW last year (and then bought the ACR). He did mention he had owned a couple of Vipers. He does have quite the car collection, not sure about the gold chains, though.

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car Dude,
congrats on a great win and way to go on representing the Viper nation with class and clarity.

No cheap shots and no excuses, the signs of a real man. doesn't need to put someone else down to make himself look good. you did you talking with your driving, and if they had put any straightaway in that autocross it would have been a sweep.
Great job!

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my bee from SW. I met him at a local car wash a few years back (didn't know it was him at the time) when he had a Hennessey GTS. He also had the TT GTS that Ray converted to that quarter mile monster, and at one point had a red 2006 coupe.

Hats off to both guys...looked like a great time!

diko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...out on everyone at the track, that is, on Sunday. I'll be driving my 11 Ford GT500, at the Road Racing event... :drive:

This was my first TX Viper Roundup, first time at the track, and guess who they pair me up with to learn some pointers? The guy with the current track record! Lawrence is one cool dude. First he let me ride shotgun in his GT500 to show me how it's supposed to be done, then hops in my car and gives pointers as I try to focus on the track...

The wife comes by in her SLK55 AMG and decides she wants to take it out on the track. She got the same treatment from Lawrence.

Thanks again for everything CarDude!!!

F

FrgMstr

Props for representin' CD! Dude if you would have hooked up that quarter it would have been even more brutal. But still a great ass kickin' served up.

You must be registered for see images attach

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome, Car Dude. I didn't think a Viper ACR could run down a modded Z06 like that in the quarter, but you RAN him down. There are definitely some Jerks on the Corvette Forum (I know there's some on every forum) but IMHO thats what sets this forum apart from some of the others(on here there's no dumb questions, over there, the sharks have a feeding frenzy). & I'm sure SW is probably a decent guy, but they told them to talk a lil' smack. Keep up the good work Car Dude!

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Loving it. A friend of mine from my last duty station was all pro vette anti Viper. I only had my mustang back then, but he would always talk about how any vette will beat it's viper 'equal'... sending him this link as we talk. Hopefully he'll bring his vette to California so I can show him how it goes down in person.

OP
OP
C

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was my first TX Viper Roundup, first time at the track, and guess who they pair me up with to learn some pointers? The guy with the current track record! Lawrence is one cool dude. First he let me ride shotgun in his GT500 to show me how it's supposed to be done, then hops in my car and gives pointers as I try to focus on the track...

The wife comes by in her SLK55 AMG and decides she wants to take it out on the track. She got the same treatment from Lawrence.

Thanks again for everything CarDude!!!

Thanks...I had fun on Sunday for sure. I love the track, and glad I got to drive against some fellow Viper owners.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4