Thermal Insulation

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Asking for recommendations on what to do...

Have a 95 Viper without mods and will probably stay just as a street driver. I'll wait until I get a GTS for mods and racing.

I'm taking off my sills for preventative maintenance, Removing rivits and replacing with stainless, painting with VHT1500.

I'm worried about the sill heat problems and don't want to solve by replacing exhaust. An option is Dan Cragin's Tunnel but I'm worried about the concept. Where does the heat go even if there are air slits in them? If I'm confident in them (at 1K) I might use them with the factory sill insulation. Any thoughts?

Do I have another option? Is there better insulation for the sills that's not too expensive?

Also, wouldn't it make sense to have a thin air pocket between the sill and the insulation? Something like a thin wire mesh to keep the insulation from coming directly in contact with the sill.

99 Sidewinder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a side-pipe conversion on my 99 RT/10. I wrapped the cat with header heat-tape starting at the bend before the cat and ending at the muffler. This reduced the sill temp and the temp in the car.

OP
OP

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sidewinder, Thanks...have you seen the pics of Cragin's tunnel? Comparing it to what you did, I would think it's much safer (since others have said it's a bad idea to wrap the cats) something about fire.

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call DEI, Design Engineering at 800-264-9472 and
ask for Mike in their service dept. I have had
good luck using their products. They know their
stuff and the prices are reasonable. Ask
for a catalog, lots of good products. Best of luck.

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call DEI, Design Engineering at 800-264-9472 and
ask for Mike in their service dept. I have had
good luck using their products. They know their
stuff and the prices are reasonable. Ask
for a catalog, lots of good products. Best of luck.

OP
OP

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys...I'm ordering the tape from Design Engineering.

Bruce, Interesting point about the removal of the cats altogether. Since they connect to the mufflers, what would the replacement be?

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Straight pipe.Could be stainless or mild.Flared to slip on and off with clamps or welded.Side sills warm to the touch after extended driving.Sound level=MUCH LOUDER.The cats do more muffling than the muffler.(and also kill HP) Bruce