They aren't making many Vettes either....

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think our 09 and 10 numbers are low, by comparsion, check the 2010 Vette build.

According to Bowling Green, just over 12,000 Vettes TOTAL were made. (Verts, Coupes, Grand Sports, Z06s and ZR1s)

In years past I recall that number being on the high 30,000s. More interesting to me was that only 518 Z06s were built compared to 1577 ZR1s. I guess the person who has "real" money is going to spring for the ZR1 rather than the Z06 and a lot of 1s are preodrered.

It seems it is tough all over. I would have guessed at least 25,000 Vettes

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know they are completely different cars but I wonder if the new Camaro is taking some of the vette business away...??...
For the money it's a good performer and obviously being a new model is or WAS creating a lot of buzz....

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
?????????????????????????

There just isn't any money. There are plenty of folks that want new Vettes and Vipers, but the cash just isn't there. So while the "demand" part of the old saying is true from a business standpoint it is misleading from an enthusiast's view.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People can't go to the bank and take out that home equity loan like they used to. Their home values are much lower and higher credit scores are required to get them. Corvette buyers (well to do middle class) are the demographic that got hit the hardest also by the recession.

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt that uncertain economic conditions have made many prospective buyers rethink
their priorities.
The Corvette design has just about run it's course and most people who want one already have one as prices have been depressed. In the case of the Corvette Z06 decline in sales, it might be due to the introduction of the Grand Sport. The GS has the body panels of the Z06 applied to the standard C6 along with all it's options including the A6 auto transmission. Although down on power, buyers got the look for less money.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you guys all got it wrong...

Since the ZR1 is really just a base C6 that cost them all of 18K TO PRODUCE PLUS ANOTHER 20K FOR THE SUSPENSION AND SUPERCHARGER/FRAME ECT...Their total investment in the ZR1 is only 42K out the door and then they sell them for 100-120K.....

So they figuered..HEY..heres were the money is..Who cares about the other ones.!!!!!!!!

(joke)

But it really is strange to me that their are so mant 100K plus ZR1's for sale in comparison to the regular vettes and Z06?????????

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember that those are production totals not sold units. There are still thousands unsold on dealer lots just as there are many Vipers that remain unsold. Many dealers
are hanging on to inventory rather than adjusting to the soft market in hopes of making a good profit or not depressing the value of the product.
GM likes to play demand for all it's worth and simply has overproduced the Corvette. It is now introducing fresh or special models (GS and ZR10) to extend the life of the product until the next generation can be delivered.

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember that those are production totals not sold units. There are still thousands unsold on dealer lots just as there are many Vipers that remain unsold. Many dealers
are hanging on to inventory rather than adjusting to the soft market in hopes of making a good profit or not depressing the value of the product.
GM likes to play demand for all it's worth and simply has overproduced the Corvette. It is now introducing fresh or special models (GS and ZR10) to extend the life of the product until the next generation can be delivered.

Could be that or any of the others above....OR they may have seen the light and are waiting for a GenV Viper like the rest of us!!

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, it appears that the total C6 ZR1 production alone will soon exceed (if it hasn't already) all of Gen IV Viper production.

Update : 2009 + 2010 ZR1 production = 2989 vehicles. Already more than Gen IV Viper (2008-2010).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang