'96 B/W GTS Carfax/ Autocheck History

AZMotorgod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Help with '96 GTS purchase

**THREAD TITLE CHANGE**

Hello all,

I am new to the forum (obviously) but I am a research hog and detail/ document freak and I am looking for advice prior to a vehicle purchase. Anyway here is my story:

I am in the market for a Blue and White GTS and I have found one, a '96 with 8450 miles on it. The Carfax and Autocheck history on the vehicle show discrepencies with the odometer. The first one was when the vehicle went to and then came back from Canada around 2004. That was the prior owner (second owner) and business partner of the current owner (third owner). I was told that it was a miles/ kilometers error when canada said that the 6,000 MILE car was a 6,000 Kilometer car. So when the owner then went to the local DMV in the states to have it registered the person at the DMV converted the reported 6,000 Kilometers to Miles and came up with 3,728 Miles, thus the discrepency. That I can write off as an asinine but honest mistake. Then last year seemingly out of nowhere the mileage goes from 8,000 up to 17,500 (the mileage otherwise seemed very consistent the entire cars life:

219 @ 3/98 (oldest record Pennsylvania)
4,919 @ 6/00 (titled in Nebraska)
5,135 @ 7/00 (titled in AZ)
3,728 @ 5/04 (BC Inspection Station ODO reported as 6,000 Km)
----- @ 9/04 (new owner AZ no mileage reported)
6,784 @ 11/04 (titled/ registered in AZ)
8,000 @ 8/06 (emissions)
17,500 @ 7/08 (title or registration issued) ***?
8,273 @ 3/ 09 (registration renewal)

According to the current owner the car was transferred from private ownership into a trust and the lawyers screwed up the mileage and somehow made it 17,500 miles. He said that when he found out he went to the DMV and had to jump through some hoops to get it corrected from 17,500 back to 8,000, which he did because the latest AZ title again shows 8,272. This seems legit...right, because why would AZ give him a new title with the lower miles unless he proved it to their satisfaction?

The local and VERY reputable viper tech in the area vouches for the vehicle and said that he has been servicing it since 2000. He gave me the print-out from the service department computer which shows the mileage to be:

5401 @ 10/00
5613 @ 3/01
7044 @ 2/05
7566 @ 1/06
8145 @ 10/08

He showed me on the engine management computer and the mileage showed the range of 8100 to 8300 miles (roughly from what I remember). I am told by another VERY reputable viper tech in another state that the cars computer CAN be altered under certain circumstances but it is unlikely due to the loss of credability (tech) and a steep fine (Dealer/ tech?) if caught. Also unlikely due to the documented dealer service log, could that be altered too?

The tech is getting me more extensive Dodge history for the vehicle (which I will get tomorrow), which he said that the motor was rebuilt by some company beginning with an "A" (sorry forgot), probably for a dropped cylinder sleeve (unknown at this point if the engine numbers match, which I WILL be looking into). My guess is some sort of warranty thing?

The thing is that it is a VERY CLEAN CAR and looks like an 8,000 mile car. Chin spoiler, side sills, paint, interior, wheels, everything LOOKS like an 8,000 mile car.

The tech said that all recalls were done, no evidence of collison damage, only mods are smooth tubes, K&N filters and a straight through replacement on the very back part of the exhaust (eliminating the back muffler). It even has the original window sticker, unknown on any other documentation at this time. It has original tires with good tead left (again consistent with mileage) but I will still need to replace them. I will also need new hatch struts (there but will not hold up hatch), probably a fluids change. Also any suggestions like a compression test, leakdown test, etc... The only ever mods I would consider are, headers, exhaust, updated computer, brakes, etc...MAYBE, but never anything drastic like a supercharger or turbo. Not only because I don't want the headaches but because I could not afford it.

I plan to drive it between once a month or every weekend depending on wheether or not I think I could ever sell the thing down the road (5yrs,10yrs,25yrs, never who knows) IF I buy it. Sorry for the long post but...

I am looking for everyones thoughts, PLEASE!

Last edited:

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone on Viperalley bought a 96 GTS that had been originally built for export to Canada and the speedo was in Kilo's. It found it's way back to the US and in the Kilo to Miles conversion the carfax was all messed up. That one is very understandable and easy to explain. The more recent one is not.

If you plan to keep the car a long time and the service records are all in sequence, I would not worry much about it. If the car looks good, drives right and is priced right, I would not let that stop me.

You definitely want new tires and a complete fluid change. Old tires are dangerous, no matter how much tread, due to hardening. The tires will run you $1500 or so and the complete fluid change by a viper tech, probably another $800 or so.

It would be cheap insurance have the car checked out by a Viper tech before you buy it.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIN number? Pics?

I wish one of the 96 GTS historians knew something about my 96 GTS 0012. Jon B and Maurice Liang are both coming up blank. It is like this car never existed. I am beginning to wonder if it is like one of those fake BMW's made in China.

OP
OP
A

AZMotorgod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The VIN is:

1B3ER69E9TV200820

Sorry no pics. I will have to go to the guys house and get some (also check VIN vs. Engine # to see if they match).

Car was checked out by Viper tech. here in Phoenix and he said that as far as he is concerned the mileage thing is a non-issue due to his service documentation and due to the engine rebuild it is better then new, motorwise anyway.

**UPDATE**
The viper tech showed me the VIP Summary Report for the vehicle. It showed that the car was put into service on 3-14-98, why would it not maybe be late '96 or maybe the latest early '97.

The history stops on 12-3-03 with 6,659 miles. There is no history after that. One of the sections says "Service History (All History)" but it only looks like warranty and recall things were listed. The dealers records show that the vehicle was serviced on 2-9-05, 1-3-06 and 10-13-08. Is this typical?

There is also a listing in the "Vehicle Restrictions" section reporting that the vehicle was "exported". Is this just a notification or is it detrimental in any way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZMotorgod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A special thanks to Chuck Tator for the phone call and advice which really helped me out. He is the man!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk about digging up an old thread....I don;t even know if the OP is still around.

I was doing a search looking for info on early Vipers...and tried a VIN search on two of my former Vipers. The Viper in this thread...I bought new.

I have all kinds of documentation for this car. Again, I don't even know if the OP is around.

I bought the car from Tilton Dodge in New Hampshire in March of 1998. I traded the car to Woodhouse in 2000 against a 2000 GTS. (Now if I could find the 94 RT I traded...)

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The VIN is:

1B3ER69E9TV200820

Sorry no pics. I will have to go to the guys house and get some (also check VIN vs. Engine # to see if they match).

Car was checked out by Viper tech. here in Phoenix and he said that as far as he is concerned the mileage thing is a non-issue due to his service documentation and due to the engine rebuild it is better then new, motorwise anyway.

**UPDATE**
The viper tech showed me the VIP Summary Report for the vehicle. It showed that the car was put into service on 3-14-98, why would it not maybe be late '96 or maybe the latest early '97.

The history stops on 12-3-03 with 6,659 miles. There is no history after that. One of the sections says "Service History (All History)" but it only looks like warranty and recall things were listed. The dealers records show that the vehicle was serviced on 2-9-05, 1-3-06 and 10-13-08. Is this typical?

There is also a listing in the "Vehicle Restrictions" section reporting that the vehicle was "exported". Is this just a notification or is it detrimental in any way.

I wouldn't worry about the "in-service" date too much. My 01 ACR wasn't purchased until 3/03 of the showroom, as I imagine is fairly common with these cars due to their price and specificity. If your tech, who I believe I know, gave you a thumbs up, I wouldn't worry. I've found him to be very helpful and loyal to both the brand and us as owners. Best of luck with the purchase. Look forward to seeing you in the area!

P.S. On my way to your side of the valley to pick up my Belanger headers!

OP
OP
A

AZMotorgod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Olddudesrule,

This post is a year old now and so far the car has been great. I am also interested in the Belangers stuff. I live right down the road from Belanger and am curious to see and hear your car. Did you do their whole system and if so did you also have them install or did you do that yourself?

Matt M.,

I am very interested in talking with you. I am not sure what OP means though? I will send you a PM.

Last edited:

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoria, huh? I hear that there is a big bad salt flat racing Viper in your town. Keep your eyes peeled, it's white loud and low, and the owner uses it on beer runs.:D

OP
OP
A

AZMotorgod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They don't need to do beer runs in it. All they have to do is bring it over to my house, there is plenty of beer in the fridge.:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21