Thinking about a used GTS. Any tips on what to look for?

CRUZMISL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know too much on the cars, differences in each model year etc. Any advice truly appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CRUZ - I believe it comes down to literally what you want. Asking what to "look for", could be too general of a question unless you are specking of possible problems. If that's the case, look for things with the Viper as you would any other vehicle. Obviously check the vehicle history, check the underside if possible, check how ti runs at all rpms...etc...etc...etc.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buying a used Viper

While doing research on used vipers, I assembled a general list of questions I wanted to get answered, some of which were dealer-specific (at the bottom). It does not have year-specific questions, for example, for the 98 whether it has the upgraded fan. It does have a few RT/10 specific questions though. Hopefully this can be of help to others.

Used Viper Questions:

General:
1.Year?
2. Price?
3. Mileage?
4. Clean title?
5. VIN #?
6. Existing lien?
7. In service date?

Equipment:
1. Stock/original, minor modifications (K&N filters, smooth tubes), or more?
2. Exterior and Interior Color? (stripes?)
3. Nature of CD player (single in-dash, trunk player, etc.)?
4. Soft-top, hardtop, or both?
5. Bag for soft-top?
6. Bikini top and bag
7. Tonneau cover?
8. Car cover?
9. Existing Factory warranty / extended warranty (or provide additional)?

Condition:
1. General Condition (any nicks, chips, scratches, window cracks, etc.?)?
2. Involved in an accident, damaged, repainted, etc.?
3. Condition under front bumper / spoiler?
4. Condition of top(s)? (Soft-top sagging? Exterior condition?)
5. How maintained? (One owner? How long have you had it?)
6. Leather condition? (Split/cracked/worn?)
7. Tires condition? Brand/Size (Reasonable tread?)
8. Floor mats condition?
9. Smoker / non-smoker?
10. Nitrous used?
11. Used for track events (strip, track, and autocross)?
12. Condition of the rocker panels (top and underside)
13. Condition of inside the door rocker area
14. Scrapes under front bumper / spoiler?
15. Bottomed out?
16. 998 / 999 recall work done (if applicable)and done CORRECTLY
17. Head Gaskets (Gen1)Documentation

Buying from a dealer
1. Processing fees?
2. Taxes? (out of state?)

Differences between GenI and GenII: there are two other big ones (besides the exhaust) that stand out:

1. The engine
The majority of reference to “GenI and GenII” refers to engine changes, as there are several differences between the two engines, not the least of which is horsepower. GenI was rated at 400hp, later GenI (96) were rated at 415, and the GenII is rated at 450 (ACR & GT2 rated at 460 due to smooth tubes and filters).

2. The hood
The GenI cars have "smoothie" hoods with no NACA duct between the headlights and no vents above the wheel wells. The cars look different from the front with these changes.

3. Suspension
Changed to GenII suspension in 96. Both the GTS and RT have the same GenII components.

4. Exhaust
Went to rear exit exhaust in 1996

5. Other changes
Power windows, airbags, steering wheel, method of opening the doors, differential housing, CD player, speedometer, wheels, all changed from GenI to GenII

OP
OP
C

CRUZMISL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I'm really looking for any potential problems with specific years. I don't really want to get below a 99 model. Were there major changes from 96 to 2002? I need to keep it reasonably affordable too.

Thanks,
Joe

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the 998 or 999 recalls were done, BE SURE to check to see if you can REMOVE your oil filter (if you can, the gussetts were installed correctly)

998 recall - FRONT and REAR on cars built between 1996 - 1st March 1999

999 recall - FRONT ONLY on cars built after the 1st March 1999 to the end of 2000

Most of the work is in the rear of the car.
The rear end has to be dropped to add the gussets to the driver’s side of the frame.
The repair in the rear is asymmetrical, only the driver’s side receives reinforcement.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey MSL, what the heck is up??

I'll shoot you an email, come on over to the garage any time to check out my GTS and shoot the breeze over what to look for.

See your car floating around the Lauzon Road and Little River area, is that your neck of the woods? Own an apartment building in the area and see you all the time, never in my GTS at the time though.

Give this guy some credit boys, he drives his Z06 as it was meant to be driven, this I know!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
99 and up specifics:

-Color, Obviously
-99 last year for forged pistons-(no biggie unless you plan on doing substantial mods. Then again, if your going to do THAT many mods, you would need new pistons anyway)
-01-02 got ABS
-Recall work done on 99/00?
-some 2000 Cars have engine oil consumption problems (Viper Wizard could help you determine this)
-stronger ring gear bolts utilized in Dana Super-44 rear diff starting in ?X? year

Virtually everything else is identical in those years.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 and up specifics:

-Color, Obviously
-99 last year for forged pistons-(no biggie unless you plan on doing substantial mods. Then again, if your going to do THAT many mods, you would need new pistons anyway)
-01-02 got ABS
-Recall work done on 99/00?
-some 2000 Cars have engine oil consumption problems (Viper Wizard could help you determine this)
-stronger ring gear bolts utilized in Dana Super-44 rear diff starting in ?X? year

Virtually everything else is identical in those years.

"99 last year for forged pistons-(no biggie unless you plan on doing substantial mods. Then again, if your going to do THAT many mods, you would need new pistons anyway"

Dan ...really good statement! Funny but so true!

Dave :D

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No not really.However 01-02 have abs brakes.The beefed up frame.Minor fit,bugs,problems,etc of earlier years worked out.Search under brakes and problems and you will note that a lot of jurry rigging has been done to better balance the earlier cars and prevent flat spotting under HARD braking. Bruce

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something wrong with the '97 and '98 model years?

Nope. But if you track it you'll want to eventually get the 998/999 recall work done. However, I tracked my 97 for years before doing the recalls.

I like the alarm shut off switch on the 98.

Irid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the 998/999 recall apply to the 99's, or only the 98's and earlier?

Is there a list of the recalls per year somewhere? I would find that tremendously helpful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960