Thinking about a used lambo

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Putting a lot of thought into tradeing the 03 srt10 for a 04-05 gallardo...

my wife cant drive a stick and has never really experienced any of my vipers other than the passenger seat. years ago i had a automatic c5 vette and she loved driving it. every once in a while she would tell me how she raced someone ect.

ive seen you can get used gallardos in the sub 100k range..even around 75k sometimes. while i would love the whole kool i have a lambo thing and looks of the exterior..going from my pretty darn fast modded gen 3 to a gallardo that would have its hands full with even a stock gen3 dosent really make me smile. as well the shots ive seen of the interior arent what i was expecting.

but my wife could also enjoy it

anyone whos owned the 04 gallardo and a srt i would greatly appreciate your opinions.

thanks

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im surprised to see YOU thinking this with all your lambo bashing in the last 2 or so years...

why the downgrade ?

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not just keep your 03 SRT10 and just buy your wife another automatic C5 Vette? They are pretty cheap nowadays... Lambos are really nice, but if you've sunk a lot of money and time into your car and feel it's hard to part with, I most certainly would not trade it. That's just my honest opinion.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Teach your wife how to drive a stick. Takes just an hour if you're a good teacher. Of course if you're a bad teacher it will end in divorce.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the looks of the Gallardo and I guess if I really wanted one I could afford to get one. My problem is I know I cant afford the repair bills on them. They are a very high maintenance car and the repairs for simple things can run in to the thousands every time. Finding a good place to work on them is also a problem and where I live it means shipping it 500 miles to the nearest shop and then going back to pick it up which also adds a pile of money to the repair bill. I just cant justify the money for upkeep on a car that is no faster and doesnt handle any better than my Viper. They do look cool though. There is no way to make my Viper disappear faster than to park it next to a Lambo.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the looks of the Gallardo and I guess if I really wanted one I could afford to get one. My problem is I know I cant afford the repair bills on them. They are a very high maintenance car and the repairs for simple things can run in to the thousands every time. Finding a good place to work on them is also a problem and where I live it means shipping it 500 miles to the nearest shop and then going back to pick it up which also adds a pile of money to the repair bill. I just cant justify the money for upkeep on a car that is no faster and doesnt handle any better than my Viper. They do look cool though. There is no way to make my Viper disappear faster than to park it next to a Lambo.

You're right about the maintenance. I've always planned on buying an older Ferrari or Lambo sometime after my Viper, but from everything I've read and just heard about the upkeep on those type of cars(Italian Exotics) they are just so much money everytime you need maintenance work done, anywhere from $5,000 a year to as much as $15,000 a year on things that wouldn't cost nearly as much on a Viper. Which is why, instead of trying to buy an Italian Exotic, I'm most likely just gonna try and buy another Viper perhaps, NSX or a Porsche 911 Turbo. Acura and Porsche can be a little pricey for maintenance depending on what it is, but no where near the cost of a Ferrari or Lambo... plus they are a more common brand, so it wouldn't be hard to find a place to work on them. If I somehow manage to come up with more money though, I'm gonna try for the Ford GT. Highly exotic and rare, but domestic so maintenance is still way less than any Ferrari or Lambo by far. :2tu:

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like the two suggestions, either buy your wife a vette or teach her how to drive stick, dont go with a lambo when you already have the better car

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lambos are heavy on the maintanence. My buddy has one and he says what they fail to tell you about is the "gremlin" that comes with it. He comes out of his house and the thing wont start, is leaking oil, etc. It spends more time in the shop, or in his garage for fear of another breakdown, than I would be able to accept as an owner. Its like the saying goes "good from afar, but far from good!"

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I say go for the Lambo. No offense but this is the guy who plagues the Viper Community with street racing videos etc. I don't care about the street racing so much except the fact that you do it around traffic and other innocent drivers. Please, buy the Lambo.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd bounce the idea of a CTS-V off her. Practical, fast, and easy to make faster.

a CTS-V would be extremely nice, but is also A LOT more money then a used C5 Vette. If the C5 Vette made her happy once, it would make her happy again and treat his wallet better in the end.

If it was a Murci, I'd say go for it. But a Gallardo is just "ehhhh" in my opinion. As was suggested above, either teach your wife to drive a manual trans car or buy another automatic C5.

I agree with this statement, since the Murci has always been one of my favorite cars, but how come no one ever mentions the VT 6.0 Diablo? It's an amazing car....everyone always just mentions the Gallardo and Murci.. In my honest opinion the Gallardo is nothing special and a waste of money, the looks of it aren't really anything to gawk about either. Granted, it's a very nice car.. but the Diablo 6.0 VT would get A TON more looks then a Gallardo ever would...let alone it's a great performing car as well! :smirk:

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

gsxrman01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I say C5...there are a lot more Chevy dealerships than Lambo dealerships for everyday service or even little things that come up and need fixed or serviced....

Also if your looking for a new wife I can buy a wig and drive any great sportscars for you...:rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep your Viper. Get your wife a Vette! Even the C6 is getting cheap. The C6 has a power top, nicer interior, better ride & handling, cooler gadgets, and nicer looking than the C5. Only about $10K more. My wife loved our C6 covertible compared to the Gen 2 Viper, but I solved that with a Gen 3. Lucky me she grew up on a farm and has driven a stick all her life!

C6 Vette convertible!!! Give it a thought. :)

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luckier me, my wife never drove a stick in her life and won't go near my cars. :)

Depends on how you look at it. I am like Twister, I want her to enjoy our car and have it be something we can do together. By the way, my wife will also mow the lawn, do landscaping, take out the garbage, watch about any sporting event, etc. She also hates shopping! I'm a lucky dude! :D

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on how you look at it. I am like Twister, I want her to enjoy our car and have it be something we can do together. By the way, my wife will also mow the lawn, do landscaping, take out the garbage, watch about any sporting event, etc. She also hates shopping! I'm a lucky dude! :D

From that statement you've pretty much succeeded in life. :2tu:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like Chuck's thinking...either way...you keep the Viper!!

My wife also wants nothing to do with the Vipers, partially because she cannot drive a manual...but also because she found out what a hood costs.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and what he said :2tu:

She also a good German girl who likes to drink BEER! :) I have no idea why she chose me... :lmao:

Sorry, Twister, didn't mean to hyjack the thread. OK, back to the Lambo trade topic! Good luck with whatever you do--just don't abandon us if you get rid of your Viper--you are a great contributor to the discussion board and I hope to meet you someday. :)

tzortzViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
a CTS-V would be extremely nice, but is also A LOT more money then a used C5 Vette. If the C5 Vette made her happy once, it would make her happy again and treat his wallet better in the end.

I agree with this statement, since the Murci has always been one of my favorite cars, but how come no one ever mentions the VT 6.0 Diablo? It's an amazing car....everyone always just mentions the Gallardo and Murci.. In my honest opinion the Gallardo is nothing special and a waste of money, the looks of it aren't really anything to gawk about either. Granted, it's a very nice car.. but the Diablo 6.0 VT would get A TON more looks then a Gallardo ever would...let alone it's a great performing car as well! :smirk:

Is that a stick, or I'm blind..?

:cool::cool::cool:

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Likewise GeorgeTheDog.

As far as th maintance Im thinking it cant be much worse than my nsx I sold a few months ago. 5-6K a year easy. Just a clutch job was a easy 3-4K on that car.

Figure If I was willing to spend the cash on the nsx then why not for maintance on the lambo?

yea. The Gallarado dosent get nearly the cred of the others. Honestly my good friend purchased a 2011 570 superlegera and it is SWEET. But even it dosent compare to the pics posted above. But thats what got me thinking about an 2004 and how my wife and I could BOTH enjoy it.

My wife dosent have to drive my Viper as I have a van/truck/jeep/sedan in adittion to the Viper. But if I had the Lambo it would be so KOOL to see her enjoying the same car I enjoy.

My wife has worked hard her entire life. I would really enjoy the feeling her and my 16 year old daughter would get as they pulled up to the mall in the lambo and felt like celebrities for 15 seconds.

As far as driveing the stick Ive tried to get her to try for years now. She is simply scared to even try. She just wont try at all????? My 16 year old daughter as well is terrified to try and when I offered her my nsx on her 16th birthday to be her permament ride she turned it down because she was scared to learn to drive a manual?

So it seems like that will never happen. Honestly the viper is too much for most people anyways. Even in stock form. So its probally better that she dosent drive it. But she would be able to drive the Hell out of a paddle shift automatic all wheel drive gallardo

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Likewise GeorgeTheDog.

As far as th maintance Im thinking it cant be much worse than my nsx I sold a few months ago. 5-6K a year easy. Just a clutch job was a easy 3-4K on that car.

Figure If I was willing to spend the cash on the nsx then why not for maintance on the lambo?

yea. The Gallarado dosent get nearly the cred of the others. Honestly my good friend purchased a 2011 570 superlegera and it is SWEET. But even it dosent compare to the pics posted above. But thats what got me thinking about an 2004 and how my wife and I could BOTH enjoy it.

My wife dosent have to drive my Viper as I have a van/truck/jeep/sedan in adittion to the Viper. But if I had the Lambo it would be so KOOL to see her enjoying the same car I enjoy.

My wife has worked hard her entire life. I would really enjoy the feeling her and my 16 year old daughter would get as they pulled up to the mall in the lambo and felt like celebrities for 15 seconds.

As far as driveing the stick Ive tried to get her to try for years now. She is simply scared to even try. She just wont try at all????? My 16 year old daughter as well is terrified to try and when I offered her my nsx on her 16th birthday to be her permament ride she turned it down because she was scared to learn to drive a manual?

So it seems like that will never happen. Honestly the viper is too much for most people anyways. Even in stock form. So its probally better that she dosent drive it. But she would be able to drive the Hell out of a paddle shift automatic all wheel drive gallardo

The Viper is a GREAT car to learn stick on. If you can get her behind the wheel, just have her tuck her right foot against the front of the seat and then let the clutch out while watching the tach. The car will get moving with no throttle input and she can learn what the engagement feels like without having to worry about it being a big powerful sports car. She can even do 2nd gear once the car is rolling. Once she gets the hang of that, have her practice watching the tach and holding the needle at 1K RPM (just above idle) while engaging the clutch. By working consistently in the low RPMs, she'll develop a good feel quickly. A good moniker to remind a new driver to use their left foot when stopping is, Every time you have to slow down, you get on the CB (Clutch, Brake). That will keep them from forgetting to clutch-in before stopping.

She definitely needs to learn to drive this car. :2tu:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not know you already had a NSX, and I did not know it would cost 5-6k a year in maintenance. :(

What year was it? How many miles and what did you sell it for if you don't mind me asking? If I ever got one, I would like one of the late model ones, like a 2005 that didn't have the pop-up headlamps and just seemed to have a much sleeker body style.

Likewise GeorgeTheDog.

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well usually when one gets his mind set on itialian ride its tough for anyone to tell him otherwise.

A 7-8 yr old Gallardo especially E gear is just not as refinedd and powerful as the newer ones.

Now tossing a couple other selections out there

09-10 997 TT PDK or 09-10 GTR.

Faster gear box, faster acceleration, better quality, less maintenance costs and more usable.

With a few simple bolts on's both 997 TT PDK & GTR are 700hp rides.

Lambo's got the image, sporty design, sound & low seating ride.

If your set on Lambo then thats for you to decide.

Do you drop the top on the Viper allot too? if you enjoy top down driving better make that a Gallardo roadster cause a coupe just aint nearly the same.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was looking at NSXs the other day on ebay, there is a nice white custom one for sale, not sure if it has ended or not

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No reason she can't learn to drive a stick...

It's BS, if she wants to drive the Viper, she can drive a Viper... To me anyone who CAN'T drive a stick shouldn't be driving in the first place.

If it's really that she doesn't WANT to drive a stick. That is a different story...

Then I think the CTS-V is a great car, easy to take kids in... Very comfy n quick... when the Gen IV comes out take a look at that beast.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An older Gallardo may have big problems with maintenance being behind schedules....also my $.02, the real part of owning a Lambo is the scissor type doors that go up in the air, Gallardos open just like the Viper does....the newer Gallardo spyder convertibles are either worth the wait to buy if funds are limited or till they depreciate to your price ! Good luck !