Those whom own both a GTS and SRT10 - or have gone from a GTS to a SRT10

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that many owners have driven the SRT10 for a few years, and many still own/or have owned a GTS, how do they compare? Personally, I do love the looks of my Silver/Blue GTS, but I've been craving a convertible the past few months. And although I am not 'in love' with the exterior of the SRT10, a black one lowered with rims really gets my blood pumping. And it's still the best looking convertible made at this time (IMO) within my price range. I am looking for knowledge on the following topics (or more) from people that have owned/or own both a GTS and SRT10. Looking for a direct comparison between cars....

1.) Acceleration - The numbers show the SRT10 a little bit quicker. I guess I'm looking for a 'Seat of Pants' comparison.

2.) Handling at limit - Which has more grip? Which inspires more confidence in the corners? My GTS has tons of grip, but finding the limit seems to be difficult (due to little feedback).

3.) Traction from a dead stop + in between shifts - Are the run-flats really that bad? Which car 'hooks' better with OEM rubber?

4.) Confidence inspiring (Basically, which car is better at inspiring confidence at high speed).

5.) Brakes - Obviously the SRT brakes are amazing, but are they really that much better? I assume the answer is yes.

6.) Steering Feedback - I've always felt the GTS steering was kind of numb, and provided little feedback. Did DC make improvements on the SRT10?

7.) Interior - Controls + radio + AC + gauges.

8.) Comfort level - Is the SRT10 easier to drive in traffic (clutch + pedal arrangement)? Does it still build heat like the GTS, or have things gotten a little better?

9.) Ride Quality - Basically, on bumps and ruts. I actually think the GTS provides a nice ride (not too jarring), although it does wonder on the rode a bit. It seems DC tightened up the suspension on the SRT10, and I was wondering if this make for a more jarring ride. Does the SRT10 wonder a bit on the road like the GTS (Follow ruts, etc...)?

10.) The 'Rock Star' factor - Do you feel like a Rock Star driving the SRT10, or is it more stealth? Basically, Gawk factor.... I've found the GTS to be 'almost' too much, as people will scream at the car, jump up and down, and do just about anything to get a look. Although, it's usually fun....

11.) Fun Factor - 15 mile drive, which would you prefer.

12.) The 'Close Your Eyes Test' - Does it feel like a different car, or the same car with minor improvements?

** Any input/opinions will be appreciated. BUT I'M ONLY LOOKING FOR PEOPLE THAT HAVE OWNED BOTH. Looking for honest opinions and not being Gen II or Gen III loyal. Thanks!

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crockett is wrong. Your list is not too long. I only test drove GTS coupes, but here is my take:

1.) Chiefly Levis

2.) Only with fried rice

3.) Sometimes green but occasionally yellow

4.) No, you must use ruled paper

5.) Individual choice, I use 42 gauge on low E (6th string)

6.) Now it is not "fill Buster"; it just sounds that way

7.) Late on Tuesday but that's only during DST

8.) Uncertain, think likely trade winds, but that is not my area

9.) That is not responsive to the question

10.) Yes, that was a tribe in Arizona

11.) You can, but it is high in cholesterol

12.) Your daughter should not marry one

13.) It is in the Corvette section of Walmart

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sounds like the Alley? I figured people would be happy to answer all those questions.... :crazy:

Come'on.... Someone must be bored with some time on there hands.... Throw me a bone :p 2, 4, and 6 is what I really want to know.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crockett is wrong. Your list is not too long. I only test drove GTS coupes, but here is my take:

1.) Chiefly Levis

2.) Only with fried rice

3.) Sometimes green but occasionally yellow

4.) No, you must use ruled paper

5.) Individual choice, I use 42 gauge on low E (6th string)

6.) Now it is not "fill Buster"; it just sounds that way

7.) Late on Tuesday but that's only during DST

8.) Uncertain, think likely trade winds, but that is not my area

9.) That is not responsive to the question

10.) Yes, that was a tribe in Arizona

11.) You can, but it is high in cholesterol

12.) Your daughter should not marry one

13.) It is in the Corvette section of Walmart

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!! :D

MAVERICK

Viper Owner
Reaction score
12 questions.... you are asking a heck of a lot here!

(2,4,6) The SRT with an equally skilled driver will beat the stock GTS at the track on all counts. With some minor modifications like a Quaiffe Diff., tires that stick, moton shocks it will be like night and day. As to looks... its a matter of taste... I like the GTS look and think the SRT is a bit plain, but you can put a Wing, side/front splitters and trim on the SRT to cure that too.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
SRT-10 is a great performer...PERIOD. It is also newer, and will have a warranty that will last longer.

That said, MY favorite Vipers to drive on the street are:

1997 GTS tied with 2001 GTS > 1995 RT/10 tied with 1996 RT/10 > 2003 SRT-10 > 1999 ACR....only MY opinion and PERSONAL choices...and remember that I'm OLD. :headbang:

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that many owners have driven the SRT10 for a few years, and many still own/or have owned a GTS, how do they compare? Personally, I do love the looks of my Silver/Blue GTS, but I've been craving a convertible the past few months. And although I am not 'in love' with the exterior of the SRT10, a black one lowered with rims really gets my blood pumping. And it's still the best looking convertible made at this time (IMO) within my price range. I am looking for knowledge on the following topics (or more) from people that have owned/or own both a GTS and SRT10. Looking for a direct comparison between cars....

1.) Acceleration - The numbers show the SRT10 a little bit quicker. I guess I'm looking for a 'Seat of Pants' comparison.
With the taller rear tires, I think it's a net wash. However, I think the SRT handles TONS better but may FEEL slower to a GTS person because I found it accelerates without the "fanfare" of the GTS. The SRT plants and goes, the GTS always FELT like you were going faster because you were closer to the ragged edge. Advantage - GTS "feels faster" maybe, but SRT is easier to get there.

2.) Handling at limit - Which has more grip? Which inspires more confidence in the corners? My GTS has tons of grip, but finding the limit seems to be difficult (due to little feedback).
The SRT is a far superior handling car. It's limits on the track and on the autocross are amazing. I have never felt "faster". At the Zone Rendezvous, I won the Women's class against folks I have NEVER beaten on the track, and I have not been on track for a couple of years. The car is that good. I also had the instructors tellme I couldn't make it through the slalom any faster unless i was on slicks. This was on the stock run flats. I also ran very fast times at our local autocross in the SRT. Amazing handling. Advantage SRT

3.) Traction from a dead stop + in between shifts - Are the run-flats really that bad? Which car 'hooks' better with OEM rubber?
I never had the problems that folks have here. I am a more smooth , easy on to full power than most, but I always felt the SRT was always underneath me and pulling forward. Talked with Michelin engineers and they are pretty baffled by the complaints. These are a far superior tire than the Corvette run-flats. Advantage SRT

4.) Confidence inspiring (Basically, which car is better at inspiring confidence at high speed).
SRT is rock solid. Also, it has WAY better brakes, so you are not worried about stopping. Aerodynamically - the car is much cleaner than a GTS, and with the undertray, it should produce less lift. Advantage SRT

5.) Brakes - Obviously the SRT brakes are amazing, but are they really that much better? I assume the answer is yes.
Oh my- I went from a non-ABS car so the change was dramatic. The car stops so fast and so well, it's possible to pop your eyeballs out from the negative G's. Clear advantage - SRT

6.) Steering Feedback - I've always felt the GTS steering was kind of numb, and provided little feedback. Did DC make improvements on the SRT10?
Due to the overall suspension geometry improvement, the car handles much crisper. Turn in is direct. And feedback is good. Again - car always feels more planted, so you'l like what you get when you turn the wheel. Advantage - SRT

7.) Interior - Controls + radio + AC + gauges.
Interior is nicer - fit and finish. Controls are generic / stock - so take that as you will. While the seats are "nicer", I found them to be a little large for me and felt that I sat a little too low in the car. Quality advantage - SRT, personally, I "fit" better in the GTS bsed on back to back comparisons and driving comfort.

8.) Comfort level - Is the SRT10 easier to drive in traffic (clutch + pedal arrangement)? Does it still build heat like the GTS, or have things gotten a little better?
Easier to drive? no - pedal placement is still off some. Pedals close together. There is a dead pedal (was never a big deal to me). The fact that you can direct the AC is a big plus and top up it's quite adequate. I still had cats, and top down, I found heat to be oppressive - it pours out of the hood vents and directly into the cockpit. Strategic placement of the visor will direct air into your lap with the top down. Should have switched to high flows - maybe that would have solved my gripes.

9.) Ride Quality - Basically, on bumps and ruts. I actually think the GTS provides a nice ride (not too jarring), although it does wonder on the rode a bit. It seems DC tightened up the suspension on the SRT10, and I was wondering if this make for a more jarring ride. Does the SRT10 wonder a bit on the road like the GTS (Follow ruts, etc...)?
the suspension was actually freed up. Ride is good / different / equal. WIde front tires will always track some on heavily rutted roads. Personally, i found the car quite civilized and would do things like talk on the phone in the SRT - something I rarely did in the GTS. Perhaps psychological, but car felt "easier" or tamer. Advantage - SRT

10.) The 'Rock Star' factor - Do you feel like a Rock Star driving the SRT10, or is it more stealth? Basically, Gawk factor.... I've found the GTS to be 'almost' too much, as people will scream at the car, jump up and down, and do just about anything to get a look. Although, it's usually fun....
SRT gets attention - but usually from a slightly older set. An older couple in a nice 500E Merc circled the parking lot of the grocery to see the SRT. Never would have given a second glance at the GTS. My SRT was silver - a more bland color, and the GTSs were more in your face. Both get attention. Advantage - draw

11.) Fun Factor - 15 mile drive, which would you prefer.
I am not that big into convertibles, so I'd take the GTS for the fact I fit in the car better and it seems more of a handful - like horses - the hot ones were always more fun to ride.

12.) The 'Close Your Eyes Test' - Does it feel like a different car, or the same car with minor improvements?
To me, still feels like a high HP, rear wheel drive, no electronic nanny car - so in that way - it's the same. However, it's tamer demeanor makes it feel "different".

** Any input/opinions will be appreciated. BUT I'M ONLY LOOKING FOR PEOPLE THAT HAVE OWNED BOTH. Looking for honest opinions and not being Gen II or Gen III loyal. Thanks!

So, even though the SRT is a superior car - based on the fact that I don't think I am a convertible person and it just didn't give me that raw edged thrill the GTS did - I sold the SRT. I'll have to see how I like the coupe - perhaps it'll give me the best of both worlds. Otherwise, I'll be back i nthe market for a GTS.

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Questions 2, 4, and 6 really refer to 'feel'. Does the SRT10 inspire confidence in the corners (at the limit), or does the car provide little steering feedback (like the GTS). The one major complaint I have with the GTS is the communication between car and driver, and lack thereof. IMO, that's why it takes so darn long to learn the limits of the car (lack of communication). I do not think this is a good thing.... This is one area where the Germans rein supreme (BMW, Porsche), and I was hoping the Viper made some strides in this area.

P.S. - I don't want to spend $4K - $5K on motons to get this communication, not to mention I'm not sure these would improve the situation. I'm sure they improve the responsiveness of the car and the handeling limits, but this is a different subject IMO.

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni,

Thanks a ton! That's exactly the input I was hoping for.... Honest answers and informative from someone who pushes the limits and has experience on-track. I'm pleased to hear the steering feedback has improved, as the GTS wheel does feel a bit numb in my hands. Whereas the Elise/old Porsche I test drove it felt like your hands had a direct link to the road. Of course, for that strength those cars had many other weaknesses.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the taller rear tires, I think it's a net wash.

Dare I disagree with the very knowledgable Janni, but the SRT beats the GTS by at least a full .2 in the 1/4. That's a pretty decent whoopin'. Bone stock, both cars. Seen it many times.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in December, i test drove both an 01 GTS and then a 04 SRT back to back. The SRT immediately feels a much newer and more balanced car. I liked it much better.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT-10 is a great performer...PERIOD. It is also newer, and will have a warranty that will last longer.

That said, MY favorite Vipers to drive on the street are:

1997 GTS tied with 2001 GTS > 1995 RT/10 tied with 1996 RT/10 > 2003 SRT-10 > 1999 ACR....only MY opinion and PERSONAL choices...and remember that I'm OLD. :headbang:

You are not THAT old Steve! :D

One might think that with 5,6,7,8 Vipers or however many you have, you might be going through a Mid-Life Crisis! :D

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I own one of each.

Buy the SRT-10, you won't regret it. If you're a coupe guy, wait. I like the convertible better myself.

As to 2) SRT-10 is much better
As to 4) Ditto
As to 6) Ditto

They're both fun cars. The SRT-10 is just much more refined in all areas.

Dan

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GTS is the looker period.A classic.However I reallly like the smooth custom look of a gen 1 RT.The gen 1-2 cars are harder to drive and less forgiving.01-02 have better stopping power but not equal to an SRT.GTS makes your blood boil and teaches you to be a better driver unless you crash.Depends on what you are looking for.The GTS Is more intense to drive.The SRT is faster and easier to drive.You can always add more stopping power and HP to a GTS.You cannot upgrade the looks of an SRT.Faster,easier to drive car=SRT hands down.Since mine is not a daily driver I like the intensity of driving a GTS or gen 1-2 car.Puts a smile on my face and relaxes me like I just had se_. GTS Bruce

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like both. They are two different cars. I would say the GTS is a classic but, the SRT still gets the same attention and alot of my friends like my VCA viper better. The brakes on the SRT are WAY better like night and day, it doesn't even feel like you have brakes in the GTS. Overall I love both of them. When my SRT gets back from DLM I am sure the SRT will have power to spare. So I might like the SRT better.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 96 GTS, Blue White. That car hit me like an emotional bag of bricks. It was sooooo beautiful, I felt like a lucky man every time I looked in the garage.

The SRT is not such an emotional car to me, but it is a far superior car in every other way. Much less little problems like hatch that delaminated, trim pieces coming off, windows that loose their seal at +150mph.

The SRT, with its great 15second convertable top is great for bombing around in San Diego.
I put a Paxton on it, and the excitement is back, and the thrill is on.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 96 GTS, Blue White. That car hit me like an emotional bag of bricks. It was sooooobeautiful, I felt like a lucky man every time I looked in the garage.

The SRT is not such an emotional car to me, but it is a far superior car in every other way. Much less little problems like hatch that delaminated, trim pieces coming off, windows that loose their seal at +150mph.

The SRT, with its great 15second convertable top is great for bombing around in San Diego.
I put a Paxton on it, and the excitement is back, and the thrill is on.

That sums it up!

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have owned both, The srt-10 was first i only had the car for four months( 4500 miles ) and a drunk driver totaled it. Since i have bought a gts, Both are much different cars. One thing you notice right away is how much better the gts tracks on street driving it does not dart around like the srt-10. But in the same respect the srt-10 brakes are a ton better.You should drive both on different terrain and see which is better for you. I even had the new coupe on order with bill from woodhouse, But after seeing it i cancelled the order.

Robert

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no doubt the SRT-10 is a superior car (the interior is light-years ahead and the single throttle body alone makes tuning/driveability better), but until someone makes a sticky tire in 19" you are going to be limited with the Gen III unless you brake down and mod it to accept 18" rears.

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Those whom own both a GTS and SRT10 - or have gone from a GTS to a SRT1

Ive owned both. The SRT is more like a daily driver; very comfortable, good sight lines, great brakes, great power.

The GTS is a car I have to be in the mood to drive. Not very comfortable either but is brash and harsh -- which is why I bought it (Not for comfort)

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You all forgot to mention the most important part.The looks on the SRT will never be like the GTS.

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You all forgot to mention the most important part.The looks on the SRT will never be like the GTS.

Amen.

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

and vice versa, but what would you know? you are trolling, thats it

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With the taller rear tires, I think it's a net wash.

Dare I disagree with the very knowledgable Janni, but the SRT beats the GTS by at least a full .2 in the 1/4. That's a pretty decent whoopin'. Bone stock, both cars. Seen it many times.

How much of a distance does .2 in the 1/4 equate to, about 1/2 a car length? Also, are the 0-60 times on the gts/srt10 similar? I ran with a srt10 on the road in my 02gts, we started from a dead stop and I walked him almost 1/2 car length up till almost 100mph when we stopped for the next light. The guy gave me the thumbs up and asked what I had done, I had to tell him it was bone stock. Perhaps he was a $hitty driver, or I just got lucky.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much of a distance does .2 in the 1/4 equate to, about 1/2 a car length?

At 120mph trap? Probably 35 feet, but my math *****.

Wow, just so I am clear, a 12s gts is about 5 car lenghts behind a 11.8s srt10. I have no track experience as you can tell, but that is suprising.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must have one of the short version GTS :) 5 car lengths = 35 ft (7 ft long GTS???)

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must have one of the short version GTS :) 5 car lengths = 35 ft (7 ft long GTS???)

:eek: ok, but 35' still seems like alot for 2 tenths of a second. Again, I'm not argueing, just suprised. :shocked: