Tinted Tails...

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with spraying them is if for some reason you have to remove them you cant. Spraying is pretty permanent... and in a place like Texas where it is against the law it can be very expensive to replace the lenses out to correct a ticket. Xpel makes a tinted film... same material as paint protection film... that looks as good as painting. You can also peel them off as you would a clear bra if you decide to. Cost is about $60 or so for the tail lights. I personally think its a much better option than painting. When I went down to register my Jeep SRT-8 in Texas they wouldnt let it pass inspection with them tinted. So I peeled them off right there on the spot and then went home and reapplied them.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks tacky IMO.

Also, you gonna feel pretty stupid when someone rear-ends you and he tells the police that he couldnt see your dim brakelights. Then the cop writes YOU the ticket:nono:
(check your state law)

This is similar to those who like to tint windows real dark without realising the negative side effect of lack of visibility through them at night.
Or even better, people who tint their windshields:lmao:

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
REVIVE THE DEAD THREAD.

Those of you that sprayed your tails, you obviously removed them. Can that be done from inside the hatch area pretty easily, or did you have to remove the whole bumper section? VHT Nite Shades is an option that I was considering; I was just going to carefully mask the whole rear but if the lights come out fairly easily I'd rather do it right. The rear lights aren't too much on Ebay so I was considering buying an extra set until I figured my car is past the point of no return anyway :D

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing mine in a few weeks. Just looking inside the trunk area (RT/10), it looks like they are held in with 3 or 4 nuts??

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that it looks great on cars with color, especially yellow ie bee. Silver cars would also look awesome. My car already being black, I am not so sure. Would it make the rear end TOO black?

Comments encouraged. I would probably lean toward the removable film so I could remove it if I didn't like it.

Ron

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks tacky IMO.

Also, you gonna feel pretty stupid when someone rear-ends you and he tells the police that he couldnt see your dim brakelights. Then the cop writes YOU the ticket:nono:
(check your state law)

This is similar to those who like to tint windows real dark without realising the negative side effect of lack of visibility through them at night.
Or even better, people who tint their windshields:lmao:

Just had my windows tinted dark yesterday. And YES it does make visibility more limited but I will take that over the intense Florida heat that pounds my black car anyday. The difference inside is unbelievable.
No, I didn't tint the windshield and still get heat from it and the dash since it is so raked the heat just comes right in. If the tint seems too dark in the long run I will just have it removed. Nothing permanent about tint on glass.

Ron

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think that it looks great on cars with color, especially yellow ie bee. Silver cars would also look awesome. My car already being black, I am not so sure. Would it make the rear end TOO black?

Comments encouraged. I would probably lean toward the removable film so I could remove it if I didn't like it.

Ron

The pics in this thread really helped. I've also Photoshopped some mockups to see what I'd go with. 50% is perfect for me.

Look at treesnake's cars; they're sapphire so not QUITE black but will give you a good idea. I think smoked would look good on your car, but not super-dark tint.

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Love the Look, but couldn't do in Louisiana,would get a ticket every time I went for a ride.My windows are tinted & had to get a "Window Tint Exemption Sticker" from the State Police (Cost $45.00):drive:

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Love the Look, but couldn't do in Louisiana,would get a ticket every time I went for a ride.My windows are tinted & had to get a "Window Tint Exemption Sticker" from the State Police (Cost $45.00):drive:

There is so much on my car that is illegal right now, tinted tails is the least of my worries. I'm trying to fix most of it.

Here is a 50% screen (a la Photoshop). Autozone has Rustoleum headlight tint but no longer carries VHT Nite Shades. The guy at Autozone had personal experience with VHT and recommended it over their stuff.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i never got mine doen yet but getting close lmao!! I was looking in the book last week and cant quite figure out how to get the tails out of my 02 gts?? i too kthe trim and carpet off on the inside but im pretty sure thats not the way to get them out of the car!! Then a friend o fmine said you have to take the rear piece of around the taillights.... Is that hard to get off? im not near the car now im away for work again. Thankd for your help guys!!

F

FrgMstr

I think Jason did it perfect above. Not so dark that it looks rice, but rounds out the racing stripes.

My H2 is not near this pretty any more since she has been beat to death in the woods and on the rocks. :D The lenses are light enough to still see the color, which I think it is something that the cops care about. Technically in Texas any tint on any headlight or brakelight is illegal, so you might look into what is going on in your state. Getting it inspected might be a hassle.

I have used the VHT Niteshades and it works very well. Very light coats is the trick then spray a couple coats of clear when you are done with the shade.

Last edited by a moderator:

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake hooked me up with the Red out overlay on my yellow turn signals. Looks great IMO. :2tu:

P9270295.JPG

Yup, and this can also be accomplished by inserting a red film over the amber. You can buy a roll at O'Reilly's or Walmart...cut to fit and voila! :)

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like my tinted ones just fine!

I got some already, but am supposed to buff them out after installation to make them shiny. I may just spray them instead...yours looks gorgeous.

And...yellow with dark tints is the best combo out there. (Sorry about being biased....:) )

Last edited: