Tire opinion

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone driven with BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW front/rear? Considering purchasing the tires. Do not drive the Viper much with maybe the occasional autocross. Other than that it is a weekend cruiser.

Opinions of the tire set? :eater:

Thanks.:2tu:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
All I have to compare is Pilot Sports, and PS2s. I can do things now with the PS2s, that I couldnt with the earlier itteration of Pilot Sports. It sticks better now in corners, accelerates harder. With almost 580 rwhp + 590 rwtq, I can actually stay on full throttle in a gentle turn w/o having the rear step out. They hook up nice. I havent tried this on all pavement types. Its almost like I need to relearn the car's dynamics. A lot of guys went through this years ago, but I've been driving on old PS1s for an eternity. Had them turned into hockey pucks.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Running them now and have been for 3+ years. Some have complained of road noise. Not me! If you have an aftermarket exhaust its not a problem.

Good tire for the cost, meaty tread. Stock power you've got plenty of grip. If I had to get another set with my Roe S/C'd Id go Toyo R888's.

:usa:

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a set of the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A on my '07 Shelby Mustang. They are good on the track, but loud as a freight train on the street. I can't wait to get them off the car.

I have a new set of PS2 on my Viper. Excellent grip and no noise.

Go with the Michelin.

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have nothing to compare as I just got the car but it had new rears so I got matching bfg fronts and they do just fine. If u don't want to pay for the ps2's, go for it. Give jonB at parts rack a call and get them from him. Best price and they were on my doorstep two days later.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got a full set of KDW's, all the way around. Just took a cruise down to Tucson with some other AZ VCA members, and the tires rode and handled great! I get a kick when I hear the comments about road noise, as if you can actually hear that over the roar of the 10 cylinders...lol. You won't go wrong with the KDW's, especially with the use that you described. Good luck!

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are whisper quiet at first, but just wait until you get about 10,000 miles on them......:(

Mine are on a Shelby Mustang hardtop so the dynamics are different. Maybe the Viper's extra 2 cylinders and the side exhaust would equalize the sound of the noisy tires.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kumho v710s, Toyo R888 or Micheline pilot sport CUPS the only tires that belong on any viper or any sports car period.

V710's are the best tire available in 18" with viper widths but many seem to feel they are a bit too aggressive for the street however they are NOT. They will hook on a 1000hp car to some extent, by 110mph you will have full traction. So on normal hp cars they are basically un-spinnable beyond 1st gear and maybe a 2nd chirp(but doubtful).

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to start a tire war here, but the original poster isn't really looking to hook a 1000 hp car in 2nd gear, but was instead looking for a tire for normal driving and occasional autocross... which is what the KDW's offer quite well. Now, if I was tracking my beast and and also wanted maximum performance whilst cornering through my neighborhood at 110 mph, then the KDW's (probably) wouldn't work. ;)

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My needs are the same as the OP and I just received a set of BF Goodrich's from JonB at Partsrack for an excellent price. I am really looking forward to getting them under the car. I have run other 300 wear rated performance tires on my BMW's and MB's in the past but the BF Goodrich's are noticeably softer than those. I am really interested to see if the softer feel translates into better performance while still maintaining that tread life span. I also highly doubt I will wear the tires down to a point that they become noisy, they will most likely be replaced due to hardening and age.

I was seriously considering the Toyo R888 and RA1 but they do not come in a wider 18" front size. I went with 295/35-18s up front in the BF Goodrich's. I realize the stickier 275/35-18 Toyo's would probably provide the same if not more grip as the wider BF Goodrich tires but I feel I would be better off with a street tire, even with occasional track and autocross plans. I am not a serious track competitor and I do not see the need to throw an extra $600+ on tires that I will have just as much fun with as the BF Goodrich. FUN being key, not lowering track times. This is my case and needs, best of luck OP with your choice.

Last edited:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wimps

I have 305's on front R888's, they make em look harder next time.

A 205 r888 hooks better than normal concrete tires.

These are street tires, all DOT approved, and will last you 8k miles.

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes: I didn't want to take a chance & be unhappy with noise level, unsafe in rain,etc. so I ordered PS2's from JonB on Fri. afternoon, was @ my door Monday morning.Love the tires, like a different car . I believe I made the right choice. :drive:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Kumho v710s, Toyo R888 or Micheline pilot sport CUPS the only tires that belong on any viper or any sports car period.

V710's are the best tire available in 18" with viper widths but many seem to feel they are a bit too aggressive for the street however they are NOT. They will hook on a 1000hp car to some extent, by 110mph you will have full traction. So on normal hp cars they are basically un-spinnable beyond 1st gear and maybe a 2nd chirp(but doubtful).

And at the moment, they are by far the LEAST expensive set of 18" tires for Viper!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I dont think R-compound tires are a good option for someone who dosnt see the track frequently. And most the people that Do run R-comps leave them on a dedicated set of wheels and/or trailer their vehicle to the track.

Any one of the 4 "HighPerformanceSummer" street tires: KDW's, PS2's, INVO's, KumhoXS would likely suit the OP well.
KDW/INVO for best price.
PS2/KumhoXS for best performance.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I dont think R-compound tires are a good option for someone who dosnt see the track frequently. And most the people that Do run R-comps leave them on a dedicated set of wheels and/or trailer their vehicle to the track.

Any one of the 4 "HighPerformanceSummer" street tires: KDW's, PS2's, INVO's, KumhoXS would likely suit the OP well.
KDW/INVO for best price.

I agree 100%. And furthermore: If you run R-compounds on the street, they pick up a lot of sand, gravel, dust, etc which embeds in the warm tread. It stays there, till you take some pointed effort like donuts and burnouts and figure-8s to clean it off. And som eof it sandblasts your paint.

A DIRTY R-compund tire DOES NOT NECESSARILY GRIP BETTER than a clean Street tire that does not suffer from such "pickup" problems.

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have them on my 01 ACR and they are great so far after a couple thousand miles. I ran them on both of my SRT-4 neon's as well with no problems, even got 20,000 miles out of them. I have never had a road noise issue with a set.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

KDW/INVO for best price.

Why not just drive a Lexus then? We buy these cars for their performance capabilities, why limit them with crap tires?

Most people DO RUN r compound tires, at least the ones that use their cars for anything more than cruising and car shows. We go out with a group of 20-30 guys every weekend, every car there is on R compounds.

Was the same way as yourself for a long time got the same wrong bs about R compounds being only track tires, they are not and the people spreading the misinformation are wrong.

Every single viper should come with R compounds period.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not just drive a Lexus then? We buy these cars for their performance capabilities, why limit them with crap tires?

Most people DO RUN r compound tires, at least the ones that use their cars for anything more than cruising and car shows. We go out with a group of 20-30 guys every weekend, every car there is on R compounds.

Was the same way as yourself for a long time got the same wrong bs about R compounds being only track tires, they are not and the people spreading the misinformation are wrong.

Every single viper should come with R compounds period.

You made your point.

:usa:

OP
OP
V

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the posts. I think this KDW is a tire I might try. Since I put about 500-1000 miles per year on the car (not by choice) I think for an all round cruiser with occasional autocross they will work fine. Car is pretty much stock with no plans for high HP mods.

With the weather in Buffalo NY and work schedule can't always drive the miles I want to. Now if the new job in either San Antonio or St. Petersburg FL works out that will change. The tires on the car now are getting to the age of concern and want to get new tread under her. Plus, I like the looks of the tread. Since the car spends most time stationary at least the tires will look aggressive!!

tpduke112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ive had them on my last 3 cars (supercharged e46 M3, Whippled Terminator Cobra, and Viper) and I like them a lot. I don't think you will be disappointed.

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kumho V710's are the best tire available in 18" with viper widths but many seem to feel they are a bit too aggressive for the street however they are NOT. They will hook on a 1000hp car to some extent, by 110mph you will have full traction. So on normal hp cars they are basically un-spinnable beyond 1st gear and maybe a 2nd chirp(but doubtful).

got 'em on my GTS & love 'em. :headbang:

Miami Canes RT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got a new set of 4 BFG's last week after burning 2 bald patches on the fronts of my PS2's. So far, they seem to be very comperable with my PS2's at about 1/2 the price. (I got them from viperpartsofamerica.com for $950 all-incl DELIVERED.) The Ride is about the same, no real difference in road noise, handling on dry seems good too.

I do not race the car so for my purposes, it made sense to save about $1000 and put the extra loot to diapers and formula! LOL.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I run DOT race rubber on my car , but it is an ACR, yet Russ the comment that everyone runs R compound tires may be good for California ,but for many States it is frankly not practical. In climates with alot of rain , just not a pleasant tire to run on, and regardless of skill level they are a pain in the butt.

The KDW is a great rain tire, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with running a non R compound ( DOT race tire ) on a Viper, and frankly for most Viper owners who are not track rats, it is likely preferrable to get something else in my humble opinion.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got a new set of 4 BFG's last week after burning 2 bald patches on the fronts of my PS2's. So far, they seem to be very comperable with my PS2's at about 1/2 the price. (I got them from viperpartsofamerica.com for $950 all-incl DELIVERED.) The Ride is about the same, no real difference in road noise, handling on dry seems good too.

I do not race the car so for my purposes, it made sense to save about $1000 and put the extra loot to diapers and formula! LOL.

Amen, brother...even regarding the diapers. My 16-month old is up to a Huggies Size 4, and those puppies aren't cheap!!:omg:

HollywoodGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
R compounds... I wouldn't own a Viper without them. Sure there not good in the rain, but who really drives their Viper in the rain.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala