Tire Question - How old is too old

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend looking at a 96 Viper GTS and know a lot of members recommend buying new tires when purchasing a somewhat older Viper. How old is too old? For example, if a car has been sitting for 3-4 years and not driven much, should the tires be replaced? On the other hand, if a car like a 96 GTS has been driven regularly on the original tires and there is still a good bit of tread on it, would the regular use of the tires make the age of the tires less of an issue?

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on what you plan to do and what was the temperature fluctuation on the tires during those years

Michelin Pilot sport tires are very well built so they can withstand a lot of stress and abuse.

Sever temperature fluctuation (from -10F to 110F) will cause micro-cracks on the tire surface. They will grow as the tire ages. At very high speed above 140mph it is not a good thing to have those cracks.

In Canada average tires are to be changed every 5-6 years if you do highspeed racing. But most often, those tires wear out before.

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
European auto manufacturers suggest replacing any tire 6 years after production including the spare tire. I feel this is a good rule of thumb especially for vehicles where spirited driving is more commonplace.

It is strange to think that the majority of the questions posed about tire replacement is due to age rather than through wear. I guess there will be a lot of well maintained Vipers in 20 years!

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pat- Did you get ever get some CCW's? B/W spotted in Annapolis yesterday with some 505A's. Just wondering who it was.

BTW- Heading to Capitol next Friday (the 27th) to make some passes. Come join the fun. Have a couple friends coming. One with a 500 HP Z06 and another with a Turbo NSX. May be a few others.

OP
OP
P

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I did not get CCW's. I saw you last Friday on 424 though. I will try and be there on the 27th and I know your friend with the turbo NSX, he is the service manager for my Lexus and we chat when I bring my car in. Cool guy.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I remember the Michelin rep saying something about the only things that affects tire aging is Ozone and UV. It attack rubber and accelerates breakdown. If the tire is sealed in an air proof bag it can last a long time. In addition, keep it away from compressors because they exhaust ozone.

BoeingMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition, keep it away from compressors because they exhaust ozone.

??What?? Can you explain this further and back it up with a credible referance.

Thanks in advance.
Matt

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfal0003