Tom : Oil and Lubes Question for you.......

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a repost of some stuff going on in an oil change thread, but it didn't get a response from Tom there so rather than hijack that one, here's the question:

I have been told that the standards and measures for qualifying/defining synthetic oils has changed. E.g. certain additives like zinc have been eliminated or reduced. My sources (none of whom are petrochemists so they're probably just repeating stuff told to them) say that most brands (including Mobil 1) have reformulated over the past 2-3 years to comply with the new specs and that the reformulated stuff meets the spec but isn't as protective as it once was.

They also tell the story that the Joe Gibbs oil has been formulated with these additives and more....somewhat like the European-spec Mobil 1 but - again allegedly - even more. Its stupid expensive but was the attribution for Joe Gibbs Racing's success a few years back.....their motors just held up better at the end of the races and they won a disproportionate number of events until everyone caught on.

Tom, if you're out there please let us know what you know. It could be all part of the Gibb's Oil propaganda machine or it could be that some things shifted (e..g for environmental reasons) covertly and none of us really know about the changes.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Mobil oil with the highest zinc formula is the Synth. Diesel 5-40, and I have used both the European and diesel oils. Tom doesn't get on this site as much as he used to(really like seeing his informative post), but I will shoot him a PM about this thread.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Edit: The FIRST part of this post did not make it into print...it read:

Tom is THE EXPERT...but while waiting for a REAL answer from him, I will throw out a little food for thought. "DrumrBoy: said: "My sources (none of whom are petrochemists so they're probably just repeating stuff told to them) say that most brands (including Mobil 1) have reformulated over the past 2-3 years to comply with the new specs and that the reformulated stuff meets the spec but isn't as protective as it once was."

MY answer...yes, over past several years, things have changed. Zinc and phosphorus levels have generally been reduced in many oils. Please follow the link below, and you will see why many loyal Mobil 1 users run either Mobil 1's 0W-40 or Mobil 1's 15W-50 in their Vipers. For the 2005 model year the factory fill changed from Mobil 1's 10W-30 (which appeared in the 1996 GTS's by my recollection) to Mobil 1's 0W-40...noting that the factory fill for the 2010 ACR-X's was Mobil 1's 15W-50 as noted on the big RED oil filler cap.

Here is the link comparing Mobil 1 products to each other:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

I am using Mobil 1's 0W-40 in all of our Vipers (Gen I, II, III, & IV).

There are many choices out there...from cheap and available diesel oils to EXPENSIVE Euro formulations (Motul, etc.)...pick what's best (and necessary) for YOUR application and your budget

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had a PM with tom a few years ago when my engine first got built.

my engine is on the way home from the engine builder today.

for break in he told me to use racing valvoline 20/50, change oil after it gets up to operating temps and put more 20/50 valvoline oil back in.

he said NOT to bother with synthetic. does that make sense to you ? he said there's no need for it.

and is that racing valvoline 20/50 any good ?

Yes, Valvoline Racing oil has more anti-wear additive that gasoline engine oil, so it will protect parts during break-in. It's a little thicker than I'd like, so you could also use 15W40 diesel oil, which also has more antiwear than gasoline engine oil. It's more expensive, but Joe Gibbs Racing makes a break in oil also.

If he's saying to warm it up once and change oil, that's a little (well, a lot) extreme. New cars don't tell you to do that. Unless he has another reason, I'd use the Valvoline for as long as it takes for break-on and then switch.

Synthetic oil is overrated. The additives make the performance difference - for example, the Valvoline and diesel oil have more antiwear additive. Diesel oil also has more detergent and dispersant. The high temperature protection is provided by additives instead of the base oil, so unless you are starting the car at -30C, I don't think you will ever see a benefit vs. a diesel oil or a Euro-car oil (one with ACEA performance specs.)

-Tom

Thanx again,
Phil

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang