TORQUE THE LUGS

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
90FT LBS.

PS Be sure the lugs are clean, no oil on the surface that contacts the wheel as that could allow them to be over torqued and possibly stretch/break a stud.

OP
OP
S

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just occurred to me that the reason I knew the torque instantly is because I checked my lugs after each run at Viper Days.

11 sessions X 24 lugs = 264 times I checked the torque. No wonder my arms were so sore afterwards... and I thought it was from wedging myself in the car to keep from mating with the door and center plenum while on the track.

And my friends say I don't get enough exercise...
smile.gif

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard 85 is plenty and 90 could still streach out them out.

90 is probably ok if your not road racing but I won't torque above 85

Again I reserve the right to be wrong!!!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, that unless you professionally calibrate your torque wrench regularly, 90 ft lbs. could be 80 ~ 100 ft lbs.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the owner's manual has a precise recommended torque of 80-100 ft lbs....

We torque to 90 based on the theory that that number allows for a +/- 10% variance in our torque wrench without over- or under- tightening. (When's hte last time anyone's torque wrench has been calibrated???)

Also, we only torque lug nuts once a day at the track (unless we remove the wheels, of course...) at the beginning of the day. I don't think that the time between run sessions really allows for enough cool down time due to all the heat in the rotors using all the wheels as big heat sinks - and thus still transferring too much heat into the studs. We have never had a problem with this torque or this method stretching the studs.

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viper Wizard:
Tighten till you hear a snap and then back off a quarter of a turn
jester.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif