Track wheels-- Calling all track rats

Looki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey All

I am looking at doing a few track days in the up coming year. I am currently running 19/20 rims with new ps2.
I have the stock 18 inch ACR rims with the original rubber on them. I am wondering if it is worth while to spend the money to put some track specific rubber on the old wheels?
If so what would you all recommend?

Thanks in advance

looki

Reaction score
The ACR wheels are not very light but since you own them I would buy the new rubber and have at it. Hoosiers will work great for the track and also the KUMHO, The KUMHO will last longer and work with less camber than the Hoosiers.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am wondering if it is worth while to spend the money to put some track specific rubber on the old wheels?

Stock GenII ACR rubber? That means the tires are at least seven years old. Good Gawd of course new rubber will be worth it. Even new street rubber would be good for 2-3 seconds on a 2 1/2 mile track. Put Hoosiers on it and you'll feel like you're on rails.

However, I am suspecting you haven't done much tracking? If not, then don't go to Hoosiers just yet. Spend a year or two getting the most out of some new street tires. Michelins probably have a longer track life than any street tire on the market and for that reason they are an excellent choice for learning to track. After you've gotten every last .10 of a second you can get out of streets, then go to Hoosiers. JMO.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You probably don't want to take 6+ year old street rubber out to the track. Unless you want to risk damaging those ACR rims, I would suggest a set of SSR rims and some Kumhos. The price of the Kumhos makes it very attractive for a spare set. SSR's are good rims at a very good price. You can buy new, or look around for used. Track rims get beaten up, no matter how hard you try to keep them nice.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR wheels are not very light but since you own them I would buy the new rubber and have at it. Hoosiers will work great for the track and also the KUMHO, The KUMHO will last longer and work with less camber than the Hoosiers.

Mark I think you might be confusing the old ACR rims with the 3 piece BBS wheels. The Gen II ACR rims are one of the lightest rims you can buy.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless the ACR wheel already have issue(curb rash, dings/marks) get the SSRs. Don't trash a good set of Gen II ACR rims. They are rare enough.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spend a year or two getting the most out of some new street tires. Michelins probably have a longer track life than any street tire on the market and for that reason they are an excellent choice for learning to track.

Does anyone have experience with many track events using PS2 tires, and wear on the very outside edge? Specifically with tracks with several tight turns? Since the outside edge is reportedly a softer compound, do they wear pretty fast; somewhat like a softer Kuhmo would?

I guess that what I'm asking is, how many track days would one expect out of PS2's; or, say, Kuhmos for someone who is in an intermediate (but kind of slow) level? Probably too many variables to consider to get a good answer?

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with many track events using PS2 tires, and wear on the very outside edge? Specifically with tracks with several tight turns? Since the outside edge is reportedly a softer compound, do they wear pretty fast; somewhat like a softer Kuhmo would?

I guess that what I'm asking is, how many track days would one expect out of PS2's; or, say, Kuhmos for someone who is in an intermediate (but kind of slow) level? Probably too many variables to consider to get a good answer?

First things first...Love your choice in colors !

I bought a set of PS2's from JonB in Jan of 06. I'm definitely in the "kinda slow level". I've done 4 Viper Days events over the past 3 years in addition to 4 other track events. The PS2's were great and the wear is VERY good. The outer edges are worn but nothing beyond what you would expect. I just ordered a set of Kuhmos. After running Viper Days at Buttonwillow a couple weeks ago, I have progressed to a point where I am out-driving the tires and that is the only reason I'm moving up to the Kuhmos. The PS2's still have a lot of tread and life left in them.

Didn't you run 2:05's at Buttonwillow?

In all I'm at 16 days at the track with 4 sessions per day. I also use them occasionally on the street for some "spirited" back road and canyon runs.

While they are not the stickiest tire, I've learned that they are very predictable tires and that is a good thing.

Hope that helps.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey All I am looking at doing a few track days in the up coming year. I am currently running 19/20 rims with new ps2.
I have the stock 18 inch ACR rims with the original rubber on them. I am wondering if it is worth while to spend the money to put some track specific rubber on the old wheels?
If so what would you all recommend?

The 1999-2002 ACR wheel is in fact the lighest OE wheel set ever put on a Viper, (except the 17" 92-95 fronts.)

I would slam some Kumhos ($1045) on there and enjoy! If the budget allows, SAVE these expensive lightweigt and rare ACRs and we can send you new SSRs + Kumhos under $3450.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The outer edges are worn but nothing beyond what you would expect. I just ordered a set of Kuhmos. After running Viper Days at Buttonwillow a couple weeks ago, I have progressed to a point where I am out-driving the tires and that is the only reason I'm moving up to the Kuhmos. The PS2's still have a lot of tread and life left in them.

Didn't you run 2:05's at Buttonwillow?

It was great meeting you and some of the other SoCal guys at the Viper Days event. I didn't quite get that good of a time, and only a few laps around 2:10. I really think that the Spring Mountain event did a job on my front PS2s; or, it was my so-called driving style. The left front outside appears thru the "wear" layer in a few spots. I need to take the wheel off to get a closer look. I don't know what "normal" track wear is; but, it looks like its not good for more track use but maybe OK for street because it is on the exterme outer edge.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was great meeting you and some of the other SoCal guys at the Viper Days event. I didn't quite get that good of a time, and only a few laps around 2:10. I really think that the Spring Mountain event did a job on my front PS2s; or, it was my so-called driving style. The left front outside appears thru the "wear" layer in a few spots. I need to take the wheel off to get a closer look. I don't know what "normal" track wear is; but, it looks like its not good for more track use but maybe OK for street because it is on the exterme outer edge.

Well it got you First Place in our class. I was got second with a 2:17 so I lived up to my "kinda slow"

Are you coming to Vegas with us in a couple weeks ?

See ya,
Lance

Tim Purtell

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got an 04 - basically stock all the way around except some safety mods (Roll bar seat belts) - no fancy HP mods or suspension stuff. I put new PS2's on about 2000 miles ago and did 2 (2 day) track events at Texas World Speedway (1 Viper Days, 1 The Drivers Edge). By the end of the second event, I have completely blown my tires away. The treds on the center still have lots of life but I have rolled the tires big time and the edges have cords showing and big chunks out of them - they are wasted.

These track events were #7 and #9 for me and I was turning pretty good lap times running under 2.01 - 2.03 min average with light traffic and my best lap was 1:58.1 (According to my Performance Box). I think that is pretty fast on street tires, but I was surprised that the tires were completely trashed - maybe I should have known better.

I have no choice now but to get proper track wheels/tires, and that comes with a trailer to transport them ... oh the pain, the money ... but the fun!

Good luck - if you are going to do this much - save $2000 and don't blow your street PS2's like I did.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got an 04 - basically stock all the way around except some safety mods (Roll bar seat belts) - no fancy HP mods or suspension stuff. I put new PS2's on about 2000 miles ago and did 2 (2 day) track events at Texas World Speedway (1 Viper Days, 1 The Drivers Edge). By the end of the second event, I have completely blown my tires away. The treds on the center still have lots of life but I have rolled the tires big time and the edges have cords showing and big chunks out of them - they are wasted.

These track events were #7 and #9 for me and I was turning pretty good lap times running under 2.01 - 2.03 min average with light traffic and my best lap was 1:58.1 (According to my Performance Box). I think that is pretty fast on street tires, but I was surprised that the tires were completely trashed - maybe I should have known better.

I have no choice now but to get proper track wheels/tires, and that comes with a trailer to transport them ... oh the pain, the money ... but the fun!

Good luck - if you are going to do this much - save $2000 and don't blow your street PS2's like I did.

Maybe you could go with some R888's or equivalent. I know lots of guys that drive those tires down and back, although they do have them on track rims.

As a slight hijack, you may want to look into the MSC club at TWS. It's run much like Drivers Edge, but far fewer cars. Last time I ran there, my group had 15 cars on the track with me.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That sounds EXACTLY like my situation. Now that I'm getting some experience and getting bolder and enjoying some more speed, I'm starting to wear out some things. I started all this fully knowing the costs, I just didn't think that I was "there" yet. But it is too fun to stop it, as long as I have the income to support the habit.

I do have 9000 miles on the PS2s and 4 events, so, I'm guessing that I am doing better than what I would get out of some less expensive softer compound, streetable, track tires?

Hopefully, we haven't hijacked the OP's thread; but, these are the considerations that are encountered by us new guys.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang