Tracking a '96 GTS with stock wheels

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tracking a \'96 GTS with stock wheels

I know that this subject has been discussed before, and I've used the search button on this too, but I still can't get a straight answer......

When they say that the '96 Stock wheels are bad for Track events, are they specifically referring to Road racing that puts heavy side loads on the rims when flying through the corners, or maybe Drag Racing that puts a heavy torsion load on them under hard acceleration ????

Or, Both ??

Anyone ever bust a stock rim while DragRacing ???

That's about the only racing that I'll ever do with my '96 GTS anyway. Should I worry about it ??

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Re: Tracking a \'96 GTS with stock wheels

Just talked to one of our members about this...he confirmed that HIS cracked 96 GTS wheel was only right front....tracked only at "4-5" Viper Days events, stock tires, no curbs on (or off) track. He has made a few passes down dragstrip as well and has had no trouble with the rears These rims had ALL been "tripple chrommed" for those who may be wondering. Hope this helps a little.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Tracking a \'96 GTS with stock wheels

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JH23JOB:
...... When they say that the '96 Stock wheels are bad for Track events, are they specifically referring to Road racing that puts heavy side loads on the rims when flying through the corners........Should I worry about it ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Track events generally means race track, not drag strip.

The large-handful of cracked 1996 cast 5 spoke wheels were from 1996 RT, 96 GTS, and painted 1997 wheels, cast in 1996. Almost all fronts. Causing the spoke-at-hub cracks were mods that allowed greater-than-1-G cornering loads. Road-race slicks, oversize tires, suspension/lowering mods. Even better brakes could possibly overstress these wheels.

Viper Days banned SLICKS on these wheels for safety's sake, but you can still run treaded tires. I have THOUSANDS of treaded-tire hot laps on 2 sets, and NO PROBS. Stock setup. Checked regularly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960